• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

PSI Lake Placid Ramp Camp 08/19/08

Where: Lake Placid OTC Jumping Facility

When: August 19th – 22nd

Weather: Cool early, 36 degress on Tuesday morning, Sunny 70 all afternoons

The 180 family along with my nieces headed up to the Adirondacks for some water fun in hopes of improving our comfort with big air. As you will see in the pictures, it’s a very intimidating place. The first thing you see is the 60 and 90 meter Nordic ski jumps which rise above the valley like Star Wars figures. Once we calmed the kids down, they then saw their jumps which have 3 sizes, single double and triple. They are very scary in their own right.

The camp was run by the folks from Planet Ski International (PSI). A much laid back group of 3 coaches who work at CVA in the winter. Since we were bringing Spencer in a little under the age wire we watched all sessions over 4 days, while all the other parents left for golf and hiking. We set up shop with our VZ cards, notebooks, cell phones and a cooler full of beer. The ages of all campers ranged from under 10 to 18 years old. Hunter skiers include Gabby, Cleo, Spencer, Shea, Colin and Raymond. Colin and Raymond have been there before and both are working on advanced inverts. Colin is off to Colorado to train for 2 months this winter while his mom home schools him. He has hopes of making the US Ski Team one day.

The rookie jumpers all started slow and progressed to their comfort level. I will not bore you with the hundreds of pictures and video, but I did put a hundred or so online to see. Make sure to wait for them to load and turn up the volume too. You will see the foreign aerialist teams working on incredible air as well as free ride kids riding switch and going big. There is a great vibe with athletes from all over the world training on the water ramps, nordic jumps, trampolines, wheeled luge, x country trainers and in the gym.

I am so proud of all the kids with me. They slayed some really big demons. All of them making incredible progress. Shea did huge spread eagles, Spencer, Cleo and Gabby all did 360’s. As you would expect, on his very last jump, Spencer was dared to go from the top. And that he did, wowing all in attendance and showing a great big smile.

I think I can say that we’ll be back. Next year I’ll train too.

I have almost 100 hundred pictures in the attached link. Enjoy!

http://picasaweb.google.com/huntermt2/LakePlacidRampCampAugust2008

Last edited:

SkiDork

Way cool Hafta wait till I get home to view all the picasaweb stuff (blocked at work).

Are your kids mogul competitors, or aerials or slopestyle (or a combo)? Iceman is doing moguls now but may try one of the other 2 next season.

Maybe we'll run into each other - we compete in the central division but sometime there's crossover etc.

I also work with a guy who's son competes out of Hunter - you may know him, last name Guglielmo? He went to a weekend ramp camp earlier in the summer...

My son (Iceman) was at the 8/3 - 8/8 PSI Bandit camp. I've got some video from that too,

Just him:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9080543163778629301&hl=en

The whole team:

http://killington.jefflanka.info/videos.html

You guys are way fast. No work today? Just waiting for a post to pounce on? I was still revising the spelling errors.

powbmps

Nice pictures! I was wondering if anyone hit that jump switch....that's nuts.