• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Pierce 8/26/2008

Paul

Date(s) Hiked: 8/26/08

Trails(s) Hiked: Crawford Connector, Crawford Path, Webster Cliff, Mizpah Cutoff, Crawford...

Total Distance: <7 miles, 2412' vertical

Difficulty:
Easy-ish for the adults, a bit moderate-tough for the kid and dog.

Conditions: Not bad. 60's at base at 9:30AM, Low 50's at summit around noon. Partly cloudy with clouds around 5000' breezy.

Special Required Equipment: Stuff to keep the kid happy, snacks, post-hike beer.

Trip Report:
Headed up to Bartlett Monday and set-out on Tuesday morning with the intention of getting the kid to bag her first 4000 footer before her 8th birthday (Sept. 7th) Unfortunately the first thing we noticed after parking at the Mt. Clinton Rd. lot was the "Missing" poster for the guy from VT who was last seen on the 19th. We headed up the connector around 9:30. Nice temps for the hike, being in the 60's. I won't rehash all the trail details, as many have done this one already. The hike to the summit for us adults was relatively easy with only a few spots that seemed more like "hiking" and scrambling than walking. However, we had to take numerous breaks for the kiddo (definitely not complaining about that) Funny thing was, every time we figured she was done, and offered to turn-around, she staunchly refused. Interesting how differently adults and kids use energy. We tend to conserve and use energy in a "slow-burn" Kids have a burst, then rest. Certainly made things interesting. A hike described as 1-1/2 hours to the summit took around 3. Absolutely worth it as Alex is really proud of her accomplishment. The way down was a bit trickier as we continued down to the Mizpah Hut. Didn't quite realize just how (relatively) steep the Webster Cliff is from Pierce to the hut. Luckily we had no issues despite a little bit of nervousness from the kid with the really short legs. We took the cutoff after a short break at the Mizpah hut and got back to the lot around 5pm. Over-all a really nice day, a really fun hike, and bragging-rights for the soon to be 8 year old.
Picture_50.jpg

Gibbs Falls
Picture_67.jpg

What the hell is a website doing here?
Picture_71.jpg

Crawford Path
Picture_75.jpg

There weren't enough cairns, so I built my own.
Picture_85.jpg

Obligatory Summit photo

deadheadskier

Staff member
Very nice family friendly report Paul. This comes as a bit of a surprise and curve ball from your typical sarcastic a-hole posting style :lol:

Paul

Very nice family friendly report Paul. This comes as a bit of a surprise and curve ball from your typical sarcastic a-hole posting style :lol:

Keep throwing fastball after fastball and eventually the hitters catch-up to you. See J. Beckett. :-D

Awesome! Huge congratulations to your daughter, and kudos for getting her out there! And damn if that isn't one sweet summit photo.

W00t!

Thanks, it was a great day for it. We're taken her on some "longer" hikes and she holds-up well. It was between Pierce and Osceola for her first 4k. We figured Pierce was more interesting for a kid. Helps having the dog along as well.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Osceloa would be an excellent followup, those summit ledges make an excellent destination, and if she's got the energy to go over to East Osceola, I'll bet she'd love climbing the chimney between the two peaks. I sure did. :)

Mildcat

you look alot different than your Avatar..

No kidding cause he looks nothing like Jeff Bridges, a little like Kevin Spacey, and nothing like Matthew McConaughey. Pauls daughter is totally adorable though. Must be because she takes after her mother. :razz: Sorry Paul, I couldn't resist.

Paul

No kidding cause he looks nothing like Jeff Bridges, a little like Kevin Spacey, and nothing like Matthew McConaughey. Pauls daughter is totally adorable though. Must be because she takes after her mother. :razz: Sorry Paul, I couldn't resist.

I forgot about the Kevin Spacey one....

Yup, she's her Mother's "Mini-Me" :grin:

wa-loaf

Nice! I've got a few more years till my kids can handle that kind of hike, but I'm looking forward to it.
. Luckily we had no issues despite a little bit of nervousness from the kid with the really short legs.

Must have been pretty tough on the kid and dog too. :razz:

Kevin Spacey? I can see it:
gallery_main-kevinspacey-marijuana-hash-smoking-pics-photos-08272008-03.jpg