• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre and NYS Budget Cuts

dmc

Please SkiDork..don't turn this into a flame war!!!!! I think DMC wants to see Belleayre do well so Hunter isn't so crowded..

DUDE!!! NO!!!
i want Bell to succeed because it the right thing for the economy where I live...

true - you've never hijacked a thread before....

:-o:-o:-o I've skied Belleayre for 2+ days for each of the past 4 seasons..their terrain isn't that tough but it's fun..lots of interesting trails with cool fall lines..and they have a really nice deck..I assume after this season a company like Peaks will buy Belleayre and update it..and probably raise the prices..but Belleayre will be a tough sell if the local zoning doesn't allow a slopeside hotel/condos..to be built.

skidbump

I really don't.... i have more of a grudge against people that associate me with Hunter and automatiaclly make assumptions...

Truth be told vibe on weekends at both places is getting to be a little to much.I ski with some hunter people mid week at bell and all are good people.But they are 2 different areas and i believe on a weekend ,hunter attracts a sometimes over the top crowd.

Pat

SkiDork

:-o:-o:-o I've skied Belleayre for 2+ days for each of the past 4 seasons..their terrain isn't that tough but it's fun..lots of interesting trails with cool fall lines..and they have a really nice deck..I assume after this season a company like Peaks will buy Belleayre and update it..and probably raise the prices..but Belleayre will be a tough sell if the local zoning doesn't allow a slopeside hotel/condos..to be built.

Last time I was there was prolly about 10 years ago. Funniest damn thing happened. I went with abot 4 other guys from work. We were taking a chair that has a midstation. Well these guys were sort of herbs, so they weren't paying attention. So when we were going over the midstation, we heard and felt a loud scraping noise.

Result? 1 broken pole and one lost ski.

Then one of the guys yells back to the liftie "Hey idiot, send my ski up to the top?"

My comment: How to win friends and influence people...

We had a big laugh about that for the rest of the day.

Nice place.

Last time I was there was prolly about 10 years ago. Funniest damn thing happened. I went with abot 4 other guys from work. We were taking a chair that has a midstation. Well these guys were sort of herbs, so they weren't paying attention. So when we were going over the midstation, we heard and felt a loud scraping noise.

Result? 1 broken pole and one lost ski.

Then one of the guys yells back to the liftie "Hey idiot, send my ski up to the top?"

My comment: How to win friends and influence people...

We had a big laugh about that for the rest of the day.

Nice place.

Belleayre has just as many gapers as the Poconos..which makes for a good view from the lifts. The one dude who works the midstation at the Tomahawk quad is pretty cool..he always cranks oldies music and waves..The new Superchief high speed quad is great..the old non high speed took 12 minutes and this takes 5 minutes. I like the terrain better in the middle of the mountain and lookers right but for a couple fast warm-up cruisers or after lunch runs..the Superchief is great..Dot Nebel is one of my favorite high speed runs..definitely a run you can hit 50-60mph on..and the last time I skied there with Kingslug..I got to practice gates..

dmc

Truth be told vibe on weekends at both places is getting to be a little to much.I ski with some hunter people mid week at bell and all are good people.But they are 2 different areas and i believe on a weekend ,hunter attracts a sometimes over the top crowd.

Pat

The vibe isn't so bad at Hunter... At least for me...

ed-drum

Even if Belleayre doesn't close, it will make things really impossible to ski in the Catskills. I agree with DMC. He doesn't want things to happen to Belleayre either. Plattekill has a parking lot that is too small as it is. Windham and Hunter get too crowded as it is. So, even if it doesn't close people will go to the other three areas up here, get disgusted and go to other areas and it will be a disaster for everyone. No more programs for kids? Oh boy. I have friends who work at all of the areas around here and it is not going to be good for anyone. It is not the expansion of the Belleayre area itself that is being opposed by the locals, it's the golf course and condo building that is causing an uproar. Highmount is already there, so connecting it to Belleayre is not a problem. Maybe these "locals" who oppose expansion should get out of Ulster County for the first time in their lives and see that recreation does NOT destroy the pristine wilderness and go to other states and Europe and see that ski areas don't have to be destructive. I have people say Tony Lanza (Belleayre's superintendent) is a nice guy and then they say Belleayre has been mismanaged. So which is it? Giving away over 8000 tickets last year doesn't help things. Greene county is the poorest county in New York state, so is Ulster County next?

Giving away 8,000 free tickets is a good thing. I've used free vouchers at Belleayre a few times and then I'm more likely to buy breakfast/lunch/beers there and I still spend money on lodging and the 1 or two area restaurants...and buy beer at the Belleayre mini-mart

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
Suggest you read today's position editorial at The Daily Freeman.

snip--->>>

Providing low-cost public facilities -- such as ski resorts, golf courses and camping facilities -- is part of what governments should do. Citizens without the wherewithal or opportunity to recreate at private facilities are thereby given an affordable alternative.

Belleayre Mountain Ski Center is a state-owned facility, on a mountain owned by citizens of the state of New York, offering reasonably priced lift tickets and an extended skiing season.

By almost any measure, such elaboration of recreational opportunities for state residents is a good thing. And it's particularly true in an industry that, by its nature, tends toward oligopoly since ski-able mountains are a limited resource.

Moreover, the development of Belleayre into an attractive operation was a conscious state policy encouraged by leaders in this region during the 1990s. It was a direct, well-considered response to the erosion of IBM employment in the Mid-Hudson Valley, an effort to grow the tourism-based economy of the entire region. The partnership between the state and the privately financed Belleayre Resort proposal is the fruition of that conscious policy to grow the regional economy.

By that measure, too, the state commitment to providing recreational opportunities at Belleayre is validated.

dmc

Giving away 8,000 free tickets is a good thing. I've used free vouchers at Belleayre a few times and then I'm more likely to buy breakfast/lunch/beers there and I still spend money on lodging and the 1 or two area restaurants...and buy beer at the Belleayre mini-mart

nobody I know has ever paid for a lift ticket at Belleayre...

Trekchick

Suggest you read today's position editorial at The Daily Freeman.

snip--->>>

Providing low-cost public facilities -- such as ski resorts, golf courses and camping facilities -- is part of what governments should do. Citizens without the wherewithal or opportunity to recreate at private facilities are thereby given an affordable alternative.

Belleayre Mountain Ski Center is a state-owned facility, on a mountain owned by citizens of the state of New York, offering reasonably priced lift tickets and an extended skiing season.

By almost any measure, such elaboration of recreational opportunities for state residents is a good thing. And it's particularly true in an industry that, by its nature, tends toward oligopoly since ski-able mountains are a limited resource.

Moreover, the development of Belleayre into an attractive operation was a conscious state policy encouraged by leaders in this region during the 1990s. It was a direct, well-considered response to the erosion of IBM employment in the Mid-Hudson Valley, an effort to grow the tourism-based economy of the entire region. The partnership between the state and the privately financed Belleayre Resort proposal is the fruition of that conscious policy to grow the regional economy.

By that measure, too, the state commitment to providing recreational opportunities at Belleayre is validated.

Thank you for continuing to bring information to the table on this topic.

Note to Hijackers:
I enjoy a perfectly good hijack as well as the rest of 'em, but sorting through your personal debate about a double negative(skidork stop with the nit picking) and continuing the debate, while debating about if the debate should continue, has only cluttered up, an otherwise informational thread about something important to the sport we love.

dmc

Leveling the playing field will help keep costs down for all ski areas so everyone can benefit...!!! Not just one place...

Governments should do a lot of stuff...

My concern is mismanagement of my $$....

nobody I know has ever paid for a lift ticket at Belleayre...

The first time I skied there in 2005...I think I paid $15-20 per day for their closing weekend.
In the spring of 2006 I had vouchers.
I was there opening day of the 2006-07 season and I paid $25 for a lift ticket but the lift ticket was good for a free day late in the season and then I also found a lift ticket in the snow that I used for another free late season day.
This past April I got a voucher from someone here on AZ and also bought a ticket for $35 or so.