• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Interesting Summary of Killington's Snowmaking Energy Use

Highway Star

Yes, we removed more than 5,000 feet of pipe from the old Sunrise/Northwest Passage areas this summer. That pipe - which is in great shape - is currently being installed on the new lower section of Gateway, Great Northern and The Stash.

So, I take it POWDR has no plans to reopen lower sunrise......bummer.

Highway Star

Killington/Pico Ski Resort Partners, LLC has no plans at this time to re-open that area. Our focus is on existing areas, including snowmaking upgrades throughout the resort.

Oh, I know....but it would be nice if they could just put a double chair over there and maybe some limited snowmaking on the steeps.

millerm277

We do line up tours for the media. In fact, we're showing a meda group the system in December. While we haven't hosted a formal public tour, I like the idea of showing folks how the system works.

That'd be a cool idea, maybe some type of scheduled thing in the summer? You'd be suprised at how many people (I think) would be interested in seeing how it works.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Oh, I know....but it would be nice if they could just put a double chair over there and maybe some limited snowmaking on the steeps.

They do that Highway Star and they'd probably close the mountain by Easter due to the hit to the bottomline. Careful what you wish for.....

There were some fun steeps over there. My folks had a place near lake rescure and that is where we'd always start our day at Killington and I dug the last pitch there, though it is quite short. As steeze mentioned though, that chairlift was the longest in the history of the US :lol: I think it was indeed 20+ minutes.

millerm277

Better yet...just take one of the Poma's that K has in storage. (It'd run a lot faster than the chairlift would). Put it in, running straight up Nor'Easter/The Judge. Put it back on the map, open it when it has snow, maybe snowmaking on a very limited basis (One of the expert runs, and Sun Dog to Nor' Easter.). You can ski the liftline back to the Triple to get out of Hawk's Nest.

Highway Star

Better yet...just take one of the Poma's that K has in storage. (It'd run a lot faster than the chairlift would). Put it in, running straight up Nor'Easter/The Judge. Put it back on the map, open it when it has snow, maybe snowmaking on a very limited basis (One of the expert runs, and Sun Dog to Nor' Easter.). You can ski the liftline back to the Triple to get out of Hawk's Nest.

Tom, does Killington actually have it's old Poma lifts in storage....?

Last edited:

Newpylong

Too limited a skier base would bother using that.

I think they could have gotten away with reopening it if they installed a new lift a few years after closing the area, but not now. With a modern gondola just down the road, the expenditure for a new lift and snowmaking / trail clearing at such a low elevation makes little sense. I rather see the money spent elsewhere. Still pisses me off when I see the old towers though.

The lift ride was just under 20 minutes as I remember, roughly 17-18 per the old trail map. The worst ride of them all was the old Ram's Head double. That one was very long, and got very cold near the old summit. The old gondola was 25 minutes almost exactly. Quite the lift ride...