• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2008 September 11th remembrance thread

SkiDork

So Dork, apparently you still work in Manhattan. Same company? Are you in a high rise?

different company. Back then it was Bridge Information Systems. Now its DTCC

Still up high. 48th floor 55 Water St.

campgottagopee

I will never forget that day. I was in my office at work when I heard a scream from the customer lounge.....A customer of our had gotten a phone call from her son who was working in NYC, told her of the happenings and to turn on the tv. Everyone gathered to watch---nothing was said---the emotions running were unblievable. As Greg has mentioned, all of our lives changed that day.

Beetlenut

SkiDork, my heart goes out to you and all that you went through. My work environment has never been the same since that day. I work for the Dept. of the Navy on a secure installation. That day the entire base was immediately sent home. The next day, and every day since, all the entrance gates were fortified with jersey barriers, armed guards, bomb sniffing dogs, and random car inspections. A Force Protection Condition (FPCON) system was implemented, and annual security threat training was mandated. Today, and every Sept 11th we are encouraged to take vacation time, few do seven years later though. As many of us can attest, life has never been the same for America since that day.

krisskis

RIP!
Steve Schlag(Cantor)
Peter Gance(FDNY)
Joe Hunter(NYPD)

Hey DMC..how did you know Joe Hunter? My husband and i were good friends with him. He and his parents live across the street from my in laws and Joe and my husband grew up together and were volunteer firemen together for years in the South Hempstaed FD. My husband still hasnt gotten over his death. He was also in NYC a couple blocks from the towers when they fell. Came home covered in ash and debris. I dodnt know if he was alive or dead until he got home. Joe was a very big part of his life and we miss him terribly.

Now that i think of it, i think he used to come up to Hunter with a group of guys that grew up with my husband including a guy named Frank McGarrity who i believe lives up by you now...am i right?

dmc

Now that i think of it, i think he used to come up to Hunter with a group of guys that grew up with my husband including a guy named Frank McGarrity who i believe lives up by you now...am i right?

Via Frank...
Who is now a State Park Police Officer upstate...

He was also out of Maspeth - where my girl is from... Maspeth FDNY got hit hard... :(

I always remember him...

deadheadskier

Staff member
The night prior about fifteen of my friends in Stowe hosted a going away camp out party and it was a fantastic evening at Lake Elmore. We woke up and were cooking eggs over a camp fire and you are right dr. Jeff & waloaf, the weather was indeed much like this morning. Someone turned on a radio and it was literally just as the first plane hit the Trade Center. At first we thought it was joke, it seemed so unbelievable, but quickly realized what was going on. Then the second plane hit and by this point everyone was packing up and wanting to get home. I got home and watched the towers drop on TV.

I left to move to Ohio the next day and the whole way across NY State on 90 barely a car was going east that wasn't a military vehicle. Hundreds of them. Two days later, I received a phone call, one of my house mates from college was one of the victims, he worked for Cantor Fitzgerald. All through college, he said he wanted to work for an investment firm in the WTC. I'm saddened by his loss, but I'm happy he got to live his dream. He was 23

Miss you Matt :(

matt.jpg

Bottoms up Matt! Will tip a glass for you at the show tonight. Miss you Buddy

Glenn

Most of you have prolly seen this before. But it's appropriate for today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for sharing such a personal story. It was really touching to read.

Warp Daddy

Dork : God love you man thanks for sharing ! My son and his family both medical profesionals live in the West 80's and work at Roosevelt -St Lukes and Mt . Sinai . My wife and i were on the Beach in Ogunquit ME . We saw the attack that am almost as it occured especially bldg #2 it was horrifffic .

Our thoughts immediately went to our kids safety .

We were unable to contact them till the next day . He and his wife voluntarily , after having pulled a full evening shift deployed to a facility near the scene later that day to assist with the wounded. They continued to volunteer for several days after working full shifts . It was amazing how the entire city seemed to pull together for the common good

He was deeply saddened by the loss of almost all of his neighborhood fire dept who were among the first to rush to the scene.

. Let us NEVER forget our heros who gave so much and inspired so many and the victims of this terrible cowardly act

drjeff

Never forget :flag: and RIP to the thousands of innocent, brave and heroic people who lost their lives way to prematurely!!

And Dork, I hope that this is a very quiet, albeit emotional day for you

drjeff

This pic is up in the similar thread on Kzone, but I'll post it here. It really puts into perspective how lucky we are to have someone as class as skidork posting here on this board!

911_1_dork.jpg

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
My wife was in NYC that day for a conference, but no where near WTC. She was one of the thousands of people waiting in line for hours to take the ferry back to NJ (she took the ferry into the city). She still carries her unused dated return ticket in her wallet as a reminder of how lucky she was that day.

Dork's story blows my mind. I'll raise a glass of beer to him, DHS's friend, & everyone else who lost someone or survived that day tonight.