• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MTB: Epic-ish Nass Ride - 9/28

rueler

Thanks rueler. Central has the Geax Blade in a 2.25. $45 though. Any thoughts on that tire? The other shops don't open until 10 am.

I've never ridden it. But, I looked at mtbr.com reviews quickly. It gets a solid rating and several comments say it's strength is good traction in all conditions, including wet, muddy trail surfaces.

As far as the price goes...that's what you're going to run into at just about every shop. If you choose to try my wild card option, you'll probably want to physically go there or tell me to go check for you since I live 2 minutes away. If you call, the lady who usually works the register/answers the phone will not know what you're looking for or probably what a 2.35 tire is for that matter.

rueler

also maybe try Newington or Berlin Bike shops. I've heard nothing but good things about those shops...price may still be a bit steeper than you'd like. Cutting Edge sells a lot of freeride/downhill set-ups...they may have more of a selection of beefier tires there??

MR. evil

Greg,
I would get the Kenda's....that is probably the most popular tire in New England and you won't find them much cheaper online. Just keep in mind that a 2.35 Kenda is HUGE. Much bigger than a 2.35 from most other companies. Also look into the Kenda Excavator. That is what Red is riding and loves them. I am planning on picking up a pair eventually.

One thing I have read about the Nevegal's is that they are super soft. Which makes for a very grippy tire, but they also wear very fast. The Excavators's are also very grippy, but seem to last longer from the reviews I have read.

MR. evil

BTW guys, I am out for tommorrow. I have come down with a wicked cold.

Greg

Staff member
tell me to go check for you since I live 2 minutes away.

Only if you have time.

One thing I have read about the Nevegal's is that they are super soft. Which makes for a very grippy tire, but they also wear very fast. The Excavators's are also very grippy, but seem to last longer from the reviews I have read.

I'm okay with fast wear. If I get a year out of a tire, I'm cool. Grippy is worth the wear in my opinion. A shop in Middlebury has these in a 2.35 for 25 bucks:

http://www.serfas.com/product.asp?ProductID=277
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/older-categories-bikes/oldertires/serfas/swoop/PRD_415114_1517crx.aspx

Not much info on them, but apparently they are made by Maxxis. The tread looks aggressive as hell:

serfas_swoop_07_m.jpg

A wire bead at 880 grams is not that bad for such a burly tire. Might be worth a try for that price + instant gratification! Thoughts?

rueler

I'm running a set of Maxxis on my prophet and like them. I've got the Maxxis Ignitor (tubeless) in a 2.35. Very beefy and good traction in all trail conditions. They are really durable too...They're not even close to wearing down right now and look practically brand new....I have put over 500 miles on them since late June.

Greg

Staff member
I'm gonna head out and pick up those Serfas tires. for $25 a piece, why hell not?

Greg

Staff member
I'm gonna head out and pick up those Serfas tires. for $25 a piece, why hell not?

I went all the way down there and the dope only had one. :smash: I ended up with some 2.24 Moto Raptors from another shop. A bit narrower than I wanted to go , but they'll get me through this fall.

o3jeff

I ended up with some 2.24 Moto Raptors from another shop. A bit narrower than I wanted to go , but they'll get me through this fall.

Those are the same as I got and I think Tim might still have them on his bike too. I have no complaints.

rueler

FYI, The approach to the Cornwall downhill is totally underwater right now...the rest is fine. Be aware if you're pedaling up that way.

CNR showed me Tickler's Notch. It's hidden up there pretty well...but, once you get on the trail it's very visible. Nice trail!! VERY technical and it has some drops that are mandatory at this point. Tons of techy rock rollers and features...somewhat similar to what you would find at Miller's Pond.

MR. evil

I am running a 2.4 moto raptor up front and a 2.25 in the rear. They are good tires, my only issue with them is that they do not shed mud very well. PIck up some 20" BMX tubes, a bottle of Stan's sealant and do the tubless conversion. You can run lower presure and get better grip thay way

bvibert

Staff member
I'm out, seem to be coming down with something.

Sorry to hear that. I have been fightng a nasty head cold for a couple of days now myself. It really sucks!

Bunch of babies... :roll:

Seriously, hope you guys get better soon...

FYI, The approach to the Cornwall downhill is totally underwater right now...the rest is fine. Be aware if you're pedaling up that way.

I'm not sure where you mean?

Looks like just Greg and I this ride?

Roll call, 7:00am at Lamson's, ~10-15 mile ride, fastish pace.

bvibert
Greg

Greg

Staff member
Those are the same as I got and I think Tim might still have them on his bike too. I have no complaints.

I am running a 2.4 moto raptor up front and a 2.25 in the rear. They are good tires, my only issue with them is that they do not shed mud very well. PIck up some 20" BMX tubes, a bottle of Stan's sealant and do the tubless conversion. You can run lower presure and get better grip thay way

I almost bought the 2.4's but they looked honking big. I was going to ask you about the tubeless. I know you had quite the mess that one time. I think I'm going to stick with tubes for the time being. I've only had one pinch flat all summer and that was because I was running low 30's in the rear. At 165 lbs., I can get away with 35-38 no problem. But at least with the wire bead, I can go tubeless easy enough. Speaking of wire bead - what a pain in the ass to mount those bitches!

I'm out, seem to be coming down with something.

Bummer!

CNR showed me Tickler's Notch. It's hidden up there pretty well...but, once you get on the trail it's very visible. Nice trail!! VERY technical and it has some drops that are mandatory at this point. Tons of techy rock rollers and features...somewhat similar to what you would find at Miller's Pond.

That spot hold water. Hopefully it will drain some and doesn't rain too much tonight. Sounds like you rode today; are you out tomorrow rueler? Maybe if we have time and energy at that point, we'll give another look at Tickler's. Sounds great. Keep left at one of the wall crossings, right?

Sorry to hear that. I have been fightng a nasty head cold for a couple of days now myself. It really sucks!

What's up with you guys getting sick all the time? I haven't had a head cold since the winter. The kids are germ magnets and I think I've built up quite the immunity over the years... :lol:

So, Bri - looks like just me and you. The Two Man attack Plan! :spin:

rueler

I've got too much to do tomorrow with the wife. I'll ride with you guys at some point. Greg will probably know the Cornwall downhill I speak of...I'm sure you do too. It's the long, fast downhill that eventually leads down to a small bridged river crossing and eventually route 69. At that point, you end up crossing 69 and do the twisties back to the cars at Scoville during a standard Nass. loop.

Anyways, the very top of that Cornwall downhill trail is sort of flat... and right now, very much underwater. It's only for about 100' give or take. After that, it's fine.

bvibert

Staff member
I've got too much to do tomorrow with the wife. I'll ride with you guys at some point. Greg will probably know the Cornwall downhill I speak of...I'm sure you do too. It's the long, fast downhill that eventually leads down to a small bridged river crossing and eventually route 69. At that point, you end up crossing 69 and do the twisties back to the cars at Scoville during a standard Nass. loop.

Anyways, the very top of that Cornwall downhill trail is sort of flat... and right now, very much underwater. It's only for about 100' give or take. After that, it's fine.

Ok, that's what I was wondering. I know the area, we went through that area when it was pretty flooded after a storm earlier this year. I just never heard it called the Cornwall DH, makes sense I guess.

Greg

Staff member
Weather looks dry this morning. See you at 7 am, B!

rueler

Ok, that's what I was wondering. I know the area, we went through that area when it was pretty flooded after a storm earlier this year. I just never heard it called the Cornwall DH, makes sense I guess.

you can call it anything you want...many of us that ride the trails there often have been referring to it that way when we discuss loops that we're planning or loops that we've hit. Just about every section has a name or something that the locals call it.

B street, for example, was originally called that for its creator...then, Greg very observantly pointed out that the trail actually makes a B on the GPS track. That's whats great about a trail name...it's always up to your interpretation. Hope you guys are having a GOOD ride. I'm sure I'll see the GPS track up here at some point this p.m.

MR. evil

I almost bought the 2.4's but they looked honking big. I was going to ask you about the tubeless. I know you had quite the mess that one time. I think I'm going to stick with tubes for the time being. I've only had one pinch flat all summer and that was because I was running low 30's in the rear. At 165 lbs., I can get away with 35-38 no problem. But at least with the wire bead, I can go tubeless easy enough. Speaking of wire bead - what a pain in the ass to mount those bitches!
:

If you think the 2.4 Moto Raptors are big, you would be shocked by the 2.35 Kenda Nevegals. Those things are HUGE!
Except for the one problem repairing the side wall tear a couple of weeks ago I love the Ghetto tubeless setup, and so does Red. That side wall gash would have also destroyed a tubed tire. My only problem was removing the tire on the trail. The sealant really locked the tired bead into the rim and made it very hard to remove.