• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MTB: Epic-ish Nass Ride - 9/28

Greg

Staff member
I'm thinking about burning one vacation day this fall, perhaps right before the leaves start to come down and do a truly epic Nassahegan tour. Watching the weather and finding a sunny dry day will be key. A weekday would mean no time restrictions for me so I could ride 6+ hours if need be. I would like to do a ride that goes 15-20+ miles and hits all the key areas of Nass. We could use Scoville as a staging area for a mid-ride break/resupply spot. Anyone else interested?

Grassi21

a truly difficult debate for me. swapping a ski day for a mtb day......

Greg

Staff member
a truly difficult debate for me. swapping a ski day for a mtb day......

That's my dilemma. If I give up a November WROD day, I can live with that.

o3jeff

Weekday will be tough. How about over the next few weekends we map out the Stone road area really well and then piece together a good ride between all the areas. If we start at 7 and keep pedaling(limit the bs sessions) at a moderate pace we should have no problem covering 15-20 miles by noon.

gmcunni

i'm still very satisfied with MTB on weekends and the occasional evening. i, at this point, would not burn a vacation day. besides, i don't think my body could handle an all day event.

MR. evil

depending on what my work schedule looks like when we set a ride date I could be down for this.

bvibert

Staff member
Not much of a chance for me I don't think. I'm much more likely to pull off an epic ride on a Sunday then to burn a vacation day.

Greg

Staff member
Weekday will be tough.

i, at this point, would not burn a vacation day.

Not much of a chance for me I don't think. I'm much more likely to pull off an epic ride on a Sunday then to burn a vacation day.

And you guys call yourselves dedicated MTBers. :roll: ;) Okay then. Get your lazy asses out at first light and we ride till 11 am or noon some Sunday. I know Jeff and maybe Brian could pull it off. Don't have a lot of faith in Gary though.... :razz:

I do agree with Jeff. If we start ludicrously early (i.e. sunrise), have a route we know in mind, forgo any sessioning or video breaks, and only stop long enough to catch wind, we could probably log close to 15-20 miles in say 5 hours. Pack some Powerbars...

o3jeff

We should probably plan this sooner than later since sunrise is getting later. It was pretty dark in the morning when I left my house at 6:30ish last Sunday

gmcunni

Okay then. Get your lazy asses out at first light and we ride till 11 am or noon some Sunday.

uh, didn't we do that yesterday ??:smash:

I know Jeff and maybe Brian could pull it off. Don't have a lot of faith in Gary though.... :razz:

i'll leave my car at the 1/2 way point and bail early :-D

bvibert

Staff member
And you guys call yourselves dedicated MTBers. :roll: ;) Okay then. Get your lazy asses out at first light and we ride till 11 am or noon some Sunday. I know Jeff and maybe Brian could pull it off. Don't have a lot of faith in Gary though.... :razz:

I do agree with Jeff. If we start ludicrously early (i.e. sunrise), have a route we know in mind, forgo any sessioning or video breaks, and only stop long enough to catch wind, we could probably log close to 15-20 miles in say 5 hours. Pack some Powerbars...

That sounds much more likely to me. I don't recall calling myself a dedicated MTBer... ;)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Better plan it soon! We're running out of Sundays that would work on our calendar, guys!

(And I don't say that as someone who plans on joining your crazy asses on this ride... I say this to light a fire under your butts because I'm sure Brian wants to join you. ;))

o3jeff

hmmmm, since I am off this week maybe I will go out to Nass after lunch today and do a dry run and see how many miles I can get in.

bvibert

Staff member
Does Sunday the 28th work for anyone?

Do you have any sort of route planned yet?

bvibert

Staff member
I went a little crazy and pieced together several .gpx files to make what I consider a pretty cool super loop, that only over-laps in one spot. Comes out to ~23 miles. See what you guys think, obviously there's several options for variations/alternatives.

http://www.bvibert.com/img/AZTour.gpx

The only issue I see (other than it being a damn long ride) is that it does cover some trails we haven't been on, some of it being on the road I think. :(