• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Nancy - 4/10/2005

MtnMagic

Date Hiked: April 10, 2005

Trails Hiked: Nancy Pond and a one half mile bushwhack right up the mountainside.

Total Distance: 9.6 miles.

Difficulty: A moderate hike to Norcross Pond. A bit strenuous bushwhacking through dense, young fir trees, up a very steep slope, while postholing and falling in spruce traps, in 3’ of snow for one half mile!

Conditions: Consolidated snow on the trail to Nancy Pond. Wet, loose snow to Norcross Pond. Mayhem up the mountain.

Special Required Equipment: Snowshoes, gaiters, waterproof pants and boots. Vapor barrier liners. Trekking poles not needed as they get hung up in the brush. Crampons not needed. Lots of energy and determination to slog up the steep slope.

Trip Report: Our cheerful hiking group decided that the ideal Sunday hike would be to bag one of the New England Highest 100 peaks while seeing waterfalls on the way. I could think of no other enchanting hike than to the lovely Mt. Nancy (elevation 3926’). Juls, Charlie Brown, Wildpeaks, Ghostdog and this writer found clear, sunny skies when we left the trailhead that indeed followed us throughout the day.

Most of the trail was very well packed, the three brook crossings were easy, and at 2.4 miles we were at the first of the three series of cascades. It’s very much high water now so the magnificent falls, with a drop 400 ft in length, are roaring down the corridor of ledge at a very steep angle. It is always worth the visit just to view these falls, especially so during the spring melt.

We continued on up the next quarter mile section that is fairly steep to the old growth trees of the Nancy Scenic Area and its mostly level terrain. On to Nancy Pond with a quick stop, then on to the fantastic Norcross Pond with its perfect idyllic setting and superb views into the Pemi Wilderness and beyond. The snow white peaks of the Twin and Franconia ranges under a backdrop of deep blue sky were breathtaking!

After eating lunch on the ledges at the west end of the pond, we started to follow the secret, cut trail, until at the slide, the trail became obscure under the snow. Being so close to our destination, we ‘simply’ bushwhacked almost straight up the very steep slope of the mountain. The temperature was close to 60 degrees causing the 3 feet of snow to be very soft and very wet.

For the next two hours we fell into spruce traps, post holed in the warm snow, climbed over blow down, struggled through dense, young trees, slowly slogging up the mountainside. At times, it seemed like it would take forever just to gain 10 feet of elevation. This was absolutely the longest and the most tough one half mile I have ever climbed to date. The terrain finally leveled and we reached the canister at 4 o’clock, reaching the summit in 6.5 hours!

It was the first time on the summit for Juls, Charlie Brown, and Wildpeaks, the third time for Ghostdog and me. We enjoyed the beautiful views of the Willey Range to the North, the Presis, Stairs, and Resolution to the East and Carrigain, Vose Spur, and Anderson to the South West. A wonderful 10.5 hour day to play in the mountains with a solid, wintry bushwhack, clear skies, superb views, and many laughs with friends.

dirt_girl

Hey... Magic!! It's not just a hike, it's an adventure!!! Amusing report! :D Glad you had great weather and a ton of fu!!

Definately on my list of introduction hikes for new hikers. However, I think I'll wait for the snow and ice to leave! 8)

dirt_girl

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Nancy is a unique and wonderful view right up the Dry River Valley at Washington. And the rocks on Norcross Pond are a fine place for lunch in the sun.

I love mountain ponds.
:)

Great trip report, Magic!!!

MtnMagic

The hike to the beautiful waterfalls well worth it and it could be a nice easy challenge to a new hiker. The next quarter mile after the falls could possibly challenge a newbie and see if one has the right stuff. Whether one goes to just the falls, continues to Norcross Pond, or even summits Mt Nancy, I find time to visit once a year. So far this year I've already been there twice!