• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

4K-itis

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
I'm suffering bad. I need to bag a peak. When do the peaks clear of snow and ice? I know my limits, and I don't have the gear for those conditions.

-Stephen

thetrailboss

Staff member
Stephen said:
I'm suffering bad. I need to bag a peak. When do the peaks clear of snow and ice? I know my limits, and I don't have the gear for those conditions.

-Stephen

Snow and ice are only part of the problem. MUD is the big problem :x ....it will be some time before that clears up...maybe Memorial Day weekend or later depending upon the weather.

I think that the GMC was asking that people wait 'til May 1st before venturing out if not later...

blacknblue

Yes, I would agree that Memorial Day is about when you want to start hiking up 4Ks, as a rule. It'd be a good idea to read hiking reports of people going up to get a general idea of conditions. You want to be careful it's not too wet/muddy, because that will only destroy the trails more, especially if going off trail or beside it to keep your feet dry.
I always found Mt. Abe in VT to be a good early hike b/c it's relatively short so you worry about muddy feet as much, has a lot of rock to scramble on, a southern approach (less snow), not much water on the trail, and great views (and a good swimming hole if you're brave!).

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Even something as far south as the Tripyramids had one to two feet of snow up top last spring.

But if it doesn't have to be a 4K, how are the conditions on Monadnock?

thetrailboss

Staff member
MichaelJ said:
Even something as far south as the Tripyramids had one to two feet of snow up top last spring.

But if it doesn't have to be a 4K, how are the conditions on Monadnock?

I did Monadnock during the last weekend/second to last in April of last year (Pumpelly Trail) and it was great!! :D

From what I've seen in Southern NH, not much snow...none in many places.

MtnMagic

The8re:
I get to hike almost every day of the week in the Whites. There is a lot of winter left on the 4k's with 3'+ of snow at the higher elevations. Heck, spring skiing at Tucks is just getting going with some fine corn snow. Isn't it about time to splurge for gaiters and snowshoes and a good traction device(G-10's)! It'll last you every fall, winter, and spring for many, many years.

Why not go up to Tucks? The trail is certainly barebootable and well packed. You get to watch a show after the workout hiking up, get the muscles in tone for other spring hikes and you get a jump start on a summer tan!

If you wish company just send me pm. I haven't stopped hiking yet.
:wink:

TenPeaks

1 stone = 14 pounds

A 6 stone washing machine = 84 pounds

The heaviest pack I ever carried was 70lbs. over 8 miles (round trip). I can sympathize with what that guy went through.

ctenidae

84 pounds of ungainly washing machine is not an easy haul. 70 pounds in a nice pack, even for 8 miles, is a handful. The most I ever had to carry was about 50, but that was for 9 days. There's nothing like that light feeling you get when you drop the pack. Like walking on air for a bit.

Sorry I don't have much to add on the subject of 4K'ers- I've only hit the Tripyramids, and that was in July.

Mike P.

You could do Wachusetts twice :lol:

Much depends on spring snows, the flooding rain we got here fell as what at 4,000 feet? Also a key is if it gets below freezing at night as continous melting is better than thaw/melt/freeze cycles.

Some years Mother's Day is clear except between 3800+ & treeline, but I've encountered snow on F-Ridge south of Little Hatstack in early (7th or 8th) June. High wooded ridges are the last to go besides Ravine floors (F-ridge between Liberty & LH, Twinway between South Twin & Guyot & near Zealand, Top of Tripyramids, Garfield Ridge)

What gear do you need now? snowshoes but should be able to get away with smaller ones, crampons don't weigh too much. I'm going next weekend & am exicted I get lighten the load as my I won't need as much clothing & wind gear (Kinsmans & Cannonballs) needed for a Presidential or F-Ridge trip trip in January :beer:

Charlie Schuessler

Wondering around the Franconia Range a number of years ago in April & early May is the reason we puchased hiking crampons...then we started using them more often as we hiked further into and finally all through the winter months...the rubber tip protectors make a big difference when storing them in the packs...

Skier75

Well, UK and I were just up to Franconia area this weekend and starte out on the Trail near Cannon and were not quite prepared, which was unsual for us, we are usually quite prepared. :-? It wasn't real bad, but if we had our stabilicers with us we would have been fine. We hooked up with a few TT'ers we usually hike with, and they said, it was a good thing we didn't try to continue with the hike, cause the higher up they went the worse off it was.

We only went about 3/4 mile up the trail when I decided, I didn't like the looks of trying to get back down, besides, I didn't want to hold anyone up that wanted to do more. The trail was packed down so bare booting was fine, except the fact that it was slippery without crampons, stabilicers, or snowshoes. The warm weather and hard pack turned the trail into ice with a little soft snow here and there. A ranger told us that by mid-day we could have been post-holeing by then. I'm glad I changed my mind. UK could've gone without me, but he decided not to either. What a beautiful weekend for hiking though, there were quite a few people out.

I'm not sure how much longer it will take to clear the trails of the hard pack ice, but I would recommend some type of device for the slippery conditions. BTW early Memorial Day weekend is about the time for black fly season. We know, cause the past two years that's what we ran into at that time of year, unless that doesn't bother you. It does me, I get bit up pretty bad, :cry: so I won't be hiking for a while. Good luck and be careful.

sp1936

Passaconaway had well over a foot of snow most of the way up on Saturday, April 9. It will be a while before it's gone.

BTW, it was a great hike, snowshoes all the way, with conditions becoming a little challenging on the descent as the snow softened. #36.

Steve

Mike P.

Backcountry conditions as of 4/20 show a foot at Lonesome Lake & more at Zealand & Carter Notch huts, in checking the march summary at mountwashington.org, March was colder than normal with more snowfall than average too.

No snow at PNVC or Highland Center & 1/3 of Shelbourne ski trail (the ski trail that runs near Tuckerman Ravine Trail) is now closed due to incomplete cover - don't think I would take it tomean completely bare.