• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What type of MTB pedals? Why?

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Clipless. I could never go back at this point. I don't ride DH, mostly trail riding, heavy techy, but still somewhat xc. I love hill...(climbing that is!). I have always had SPD's and I don't really love them, have thought many times about going to CB and one of my buddy loves the Times. Worst thing about the SPD's is they suck in the snow. I curse them all winter long. However, I do find they are very durable, and keep on ticking.

Also, one of my buddies went to the Crank brother's and said his knees started hurting and actually went back to the spd's. I've had my same spd cleats for about 8 years I think. I don't think I've ever replaced them.

I ride the speedplay x-series on my road bike and love them and I hear great things about the frogs...but have not tried them..perhaps I should?

gorgonzola

Are those clipless on just one side? If so are they a pain to engage? Could be the best of both worlds.

no, both sides - and release tension is adjustable. if you should release, clip you can still pedal until you get fully clipped.

funny story - i bought the first pair online and assumed (uhhuh) that they shipped on the easiest releease setting. wrong, popped em on an clipped in - couldn't clip out and fell over like a tree in the garage! finally got untagled from the bike by sliding out of the shoes. still couldn't get the shoes off the pedals and didn't want to wreck my new $80 answer speeders so i took the bike with the shoes still in the pedals to my LBS. It was a crowded saturday and the whole store had a good laugh at my expense....

Greg

Staff member
no, both sides - and release tension is adjustable. if you should release, clip you can still pedal until you get fully clipped.

funny story - i bought the first pair online and assumed (uhhuh) that they shipped on the easiest releease setting. wrong, popped em on an clipped in - couldn't clip out and fell over like a tree in the garage! finally got untagled from the bike by sliding out of the shoes. still couldn't get the shoes off the pedals and didn't want to wreck my new $80 answer speeders so i took the bike with the shoes still in the pedals to my LBS. It was a crowded saturday and the whole store had a good laugh at my expense....

I assume they are like the 424s where the mechanism is sorta elevated off the cage? Yeah my first ride on SPDs was on the default release tension and I was wrecking all over the place. That was a banged up ride. :lol:

gorgonzola

I assume they are like the 424s where the mechanism is sorta elevated off the cage? Yeah my first ride on SPDs was on the default release tension and I was wrecking all over the place. That was a banged up ride. :lol:

exactly, i think my first pair were 424's, the same pedal with a resin cage

cbcbd

My first clipless were the 424s. The cages cracked. I think I will have to agree with JD - pedals like these it is probably best to have a softer soled shoe so it bends over the mechanism. My mtb shoes are stiff and slippery and I could never get use of the cage on the 424s. And using regular shoes with them was pretty uncomfortable too.

gorgonzola

My first clipless were the 424s. The cages cracked. I think I will have to agree with JD - pedals like these it is probably best to have a softer soled shoe so it bends over the mechanism. My mtb shoes are stiff and slippery and I could never get use of the cage on the 424s. And using regular shoes with them was pretty uncomfortable too.

agreed anything more than a few spins around the block with the kids with regular shoes would be painful. I use these shoes and they clip in/out very easily

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylePkey=14599&offer=IN080GL1&gclid=CLCqnuSj9ZUCFQOcFQodQRubiA

Grassi21

so gents, lay some pedal recommendations on me so i can research. just looking at my torn up shins has me thinking about pedals and shin guards...

Greg

Staff member
so gents, lay some pedal recommendations on me so i can research. just looking at my torn up shins has me thinking about pedals and shin guards...

Clipless? Anything SPD (Shimano) compatible is a good place to start. You can dial back the release tension which makes them very easy to pull out of which is key when learning.

BTW, you're hooked!!! :)

Grassi21

Clipless? Anything SPD (Shimano) compatible is a good place to start. You can dial back the release tension which makes them very easy to pull out of which is key when learning.

BTW, you're hooked!!! :)

Clipless, yes. I am a gear whore. I'm liking the look of the Crank Bros.that MrEvil mentioned....

Gremf

Website
ctmtblog.blogspot.com
Clipless, yes. I am a gear whore. I'm liking the look of the Crank Bros.that MrEvil mentioned....

I have a pair of shimano 525 pedals, if you want to go the shimano route, that I wouldn't mind trading for something and I will throw in an old pair of RockGardyn shin/knee guards for free. If you have any old ten speed frames, I'd be interested, otherwise I could let them go for a growler of BBC Berkshire Ale (64 oz bottle) from Cork and Keg.

Greg

Staff member
I have a pair of shimano 525 pedals, if you want to go the shimano route, that I wouldn't mind trading for something and I will throw in an old pair of RockGardyn shin/knee guards for free. If you have any old ten speed frames, I'd be interested, otherwise I could let them go for a growler of BBC Berkshire Ale (64 oz bottle) from Cork and Keg.

The barter system at its finest! :lol:

Grassi21

hmmmm... let me sleep on it. sounds intriguing. :)

bvibert

Staff member
I'd go with a SPD pedal over a Crank Brothers to start off with, for the sole reason that you can back the tension way down (as Greg mentioned) while you get used to unclipping from the pedals. The Crank Brother's design doesn't allow for that kind of adjustability.

Gremf

Website
ctmtblog.blogspot.com
I'd go with a SPD pedal over a Crank Brothers to start off with, for the sole reason that you can back the tension way down (as Greg mentioned) while you get used to unclipping from the pedals. The Crank Brother's design doesn't allow for that kind of adjustability.

That's how I started. I was using the 525s and then I got a pair with the wrap around cages/platform, the all steel ones. Those plastic ones were a POS. Buddy of mine had a pair and they practically dissentigrated after a month. When I got my Iron Horse, it came with CBs and after the first ride I was smitten.

WJenness

Steel Rail is better.

-w

WJenness

That and Golden Spike are my least favorite, both remind me of dragging my tongue along a railroad track after a train has passed.:puke:

That's quite the visual!

I haven't had Golden Spike.

My two favorite BBC brews are Steel Rail and Drayman's Porter.

-w