What type of MTB pedals? Why? - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgonzola View Post
    clipless - i've been using thes for about 5 yrs now, clipped in with some added support/protection.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...545-Pedals.htm

I had the nylon cage version before that but they don't hold up.
    Are those clipless on just one side? If so are they a pain to engage? Could be the best of both worlds.
    I ski double black diamonds.

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    Clipless. I could never go back at this point. I don't ride DH, mostly trail riding, heavy techy, but still somewhat xc. I love hill...(climbing that is!). I have always had SPD's and I don't really love them, have thought many times about going to CB and one of my buddy loves the Times. Worst thing about the SPD's is they suck in the snow. I curse them all winter long. However, I do find they are very durable, and keep on ticking.

Also, one of my buddies went to the Crank brother's and said his knees started hurting and actually went back to the spd's. I've had my same spd cleats for about 8 years I think. I don't think I've ever replaced them.

I ride the speedplay x-series on my road bike and love them and I hear great things about the frogs...but have not tried them..perhaps I should?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Are those clipless on just one side? If so are they a pain to engage? Could be the best of both worlds.
    no, both sides - and release tension is adjustable. if you should release, clip you can still pedal until you get fully clipped.

funny story - i bought the first pair online and assumed (uhhuh) that they shipped on the easiest releease setting. wrong, popped em on an clipped in - couldn't clip out and fell over like a tree in the garage! finally got untagled from the bike by sliding out of the shoes. still couldn't get the shoes off the pedals and didn't want to wreck my new $80 answer speeders so i took the bike with the shoes still in the pedals to my LBS. It was a crowded saturday and the whole store had a good laugh at my expense....
    "that feeling: hovering in a weightless space with honey on the tip of your tongue and pure red blood gorging your heart, soaring on a current of angelic music cutting clear mountain air." -norman ollestad, crazy for the storm

Quote Originally Posted by gorgonzola View Post
    no, both sides - and release tension is adjustable. if you should release, clip you can still pedal until you get fully clipped.

funny story - i bought the first pair online and assumed (uhhuh) that they shipped on the easiest releease setting. wrong, popped em on an clipped in - couldn't clip out and fell over like a tree in the garage! finally got untagled from the bike by sliding out of the shoes. still couldn't get the shoes off the pedals and didn't want to wreck my new $80 answer speeders so i took the bike with the shoes still in the pedals to my LBS. It was a crowded saturday and the whole store had a good laugh at my expense....
    I assume they are like the 424s where the mechanism is sorta elevated off the cage? Yeah my first ride on SPDs was on the default release tension and I was wrecking all over the place. That was a banged up ride.

I assume they are like the 424s where the mechanism is sorta elevated off the cage? Yeah my first ride on SPDs was on the default release tension and I was wrecking all over the place. That was a banged up ride.
    exactly, i think my first pair were 424's, the same pedal with a resin cage
    "that feeling: hovering in a weightless space with honey on the tip of your tongue and pure red blood gorging your heart, soaring on a current of angelic music cutting clear mountain air." -norman ollestad, crazy for the storm

My first clipless were the 424s. The cages cracked. I think I will have to agree with JD - pedals like these it is probably best to have a softer soled shoe so it bends over the mechanism. My mtb shoes are stiff and slippery and I could never get use of the cage on the 424s. And using regular shoes with them was pretty uncomfortable too.
    Sign, sign everywhere a sign... pointing out the trails, can\'t make up my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by cbcbd View Post
    My first clipless were the 424s. The cages cracked. I think I will have to agree with JD - pedals like these it is probably best to have a softer soled shoe so it bends over the mechanism. My mtb shoes are stiff and slippery and I could never get use of the cage on the 424s. And using regular shoes with them was pretty uncomfortable too.
    agreed anything more than a few spins around the block with the kids with regular shoes would be painful. I use these shoes and they clip in/out very easily

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...FQOcFQodQRubiA

so gents, lay some pedal recommendations on me so i can research. just looking at my torn up shins has me thinking about pedals and shin guards...
    '04-'05 - 2 days
    '05-'06 - 11 days
    '06-'07 - 20 days
    '07-'08 - 19 days
    '08 - '09 - 23 days
    '09 - '10 - 16 days
    '10 - '11 - 12 days
    '11 - '12 - 6 days
    Lifetime Total - 109

Namaste you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Grassi21 View Post
    so gents, lay some pedal recommendations on me so i can research. just looking at my torn up shins has me thinking about pedals and shin guards...
    Clipless? Anything SPD (Shimano) compatible is a good place to start. You can dial back the release tension which makes them very easy to pull out of which is key when learning.

BTW, you're hooked!!!

Clipless? Anything SPD (Shimano) compatible is a good place to start. You can dial back the release tension which makes them very easy to pull out of which is key when learning.

BTW, you're hooked!!!
    Clipless, yes. I am a gear whore. I'm liking the look of the Crank Bros.that MrEvil mentioned....
    '04-'05 - 2 days
    '05-'06 - 11 days
    '06-'07 - 20 days
    '07-'08 - 19 days
    '08 - '09 - 23 days
    '09 - '10 - 16 days
    '10 - '11 - 12 days
    '11 - '12 - 6 days
    Lifetime Total - 109

Namaste you guys!

Thread Information