• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What type of MTB pedals? Why?

umby

I probably know you then. I ride there at least a few times a week. Do you ride a goatbike by any chance?

I am usually on an echo trials bike or a cannondale chase (when on the chase I usually am on the tame trails with the girlfriend). Say Hi if you see me... I am not as much of a douche as I came off as earlier in this thread haha

awf170

I am usually on an echo trials bike or a cannondale chase (when on the chase I usually am on the tame trails with the girlfriend). Say Hi if you see me... I am not as much of a douche as I came off as earlier in this thread haha

Hmm, I have actually never seen you which is surprising because I always see Simon. When are you getting out again? Would you mind if I tagged along? I need someone to kick my ass in Lynn again.

umby

Hmm, I have actually never seen you which is surprising because I always see Simon. When are you getting out again? Would you mind if I tagged along? I need someone to kick my ass in Lynn again.

I don't ride nearly as much as I would like to, or as much as simon. I usually only ride once a weekend, and sometimes it is at a pure trials spot like halibut point in rockport. My rides at lynn this summer have been mostly with my girlfriend... which is fun, but not a ride you would probably see me on (stay mostly on fire roads with her).

I just sent simon a message about possibly riding sunday morning. Just as a warning it is usually ends up being a really trialsy ride. We will drop our backpacks off, ride a section several times, then move on. We usually won't cover a ton of ground. Last weekend we spent what had to be 30 or 40 minutes trying a 3 foot up on an uphill section until both of us got it clean. We usually meet at 9am at the ballfields when we ride... If you know what car simon has, I have the identical one...

awf170

I don't ride nearly as much as I would like to, or as much as simon. I usually only ride once a weekend, and sometimes it is at a pure trials spot like halibut point in rockport. My rides at lynn this summer have been mostly with my girlfriend... which is fun, but not a ride you would probably see me on (stay mostly on fire roads with her).

I just sent simon a message about possibly riding sunday morning. Just as a warning it is usually ends up being a really trialsy ride. We will drop our backpacks off, ride a section several times, then move on. We usually won't cover a ton of ground. Last weekend we spent what had to be 30 or 40 minutes trying a 3 foot up on an uphill section until both of us got it clean. We usually meet at 9am at the ballfields when we ride... If you know what car simon has, I have the identical one...

Cool, I'll try to be out there. I probably wouldn't stay with you guys for the whole ride, but I would love some tips for trialsly sections of trail.

yeah I took the video... we had just gotten to the bottom of the ravine and saw the guy about to drop it so I pulled my crappy camera out.

Is that you in the video? if so, you have some huge balls!

Yeah, it's me. The internet is a strange place...

To make it even better the guy Marc you have been bickering back and forth with was sitting right next to you since he took this pic:

P1020372.JPG

Small world?

umby

Cool, I'll try to be out there. I probably wouldn't stay with you guys for the whole ride, but I would love some tips for trialsly sections of trail.

To make it even better the guy Marc you have been bickering back and forth with was sitting right next to you since he took this pic:

P1020372.JPG

Small world?

wow damn impressive drop/attempt. small world indeed...

I will send you a PM when I hear back from Simon on whether the ride is going to happen...It most likely will, but there was some trail maintenance thing he was doing one day this weekend, but I can't recall which day. I will try to give you some trials pointers, but I often suck at explaining stuff (as evidenced in this very thread)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

Small world?

We weren't bickering, we were just having a discussion. We definitely come from very different cycling backgrounds... seeing as I have trouble keeping my balance just putting my shoes on, trials riding may as well be one handed, blind folded, two person paragliding from where I sit.

JSHSKI

I rode clipless for many years. (Look, then Time ATAC) Recently started getting hurt since I could not get out when trying to make technical climbs. (Problem is unique to me, I have limited range of motion and a metal hip) Now I am back on Toe Clips and loving it. My sneakers are better than bike shoes for when I have to walk, and I will try anything now that I know I can get out when I need to. The Time atacs are on my cross bike now and that works out great too. Clipped-in is the way to go if you are agile enough to get out when you need to. It is mostly in your head. I just had to accept that my head and body needed the easier release that toe clips provide. I get looks since my ride is an S-Works Hardtail, ie a fairly high end bike with Toe Clips! Hey, it works for me.

MR. evil

Welcome to the forums JSHSKI. Where do you normally ride?

Ditch the toe clips and get some good flat pedals and some sticky shoes. FiveTen shoes seems to be the best for flat pedals. I use them and they great!

JSHSKI

Thanks Brian. Landlocked (lost) forest in Burlington, MA is my backyard ride. Sometimes Great Brook Farm, Fells, Horn Pond in Woburn, 3x to Kingdom Trails, (2 Fantastic days there in August this year,
how sic is Tap & Die then sidewinder?) Lynn Woods once. Learned to mtn bike in blue hills in ~ 1986. Rigid Univega w/ U brake, state of the art then but a real pos. I've had a few bikes including a Klein Pinnacle, Klein Rascal (still have) an FSR, and now my S Works. Latest buy a Bikes Direct Cyclocross bike. (you have to be careful, you ask me a simple question and you get way too much information.)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Thanks Brian. Landlocked (lost) forest in Burlington, MA is my backyard ride. Sometimes Great Brook Farm, Fells, Horn Pond in Woburn, 3x to Kingdom Trails, (2 Fantastic days there in August this year,
how sic is Tap & Die then sidewinder?) Lynn Woods once. Learned to mtn bike in blue hills in ~ 1986. Rigid Univega w/ U brake, state of the art then but a real pos. I've had a few bikes including a Klein Pinnacle, Klein Rascal (still have) an FSR, and now my S Works. Latest buy a Bikes Direct Cyclocross bike. (you have to be careful, you ask me a simple question and you get way too much information.)

I remember U-brakes. I only saw them once in person. When I was getting into mountain biking in the mid 90's, and still a kid, there were all these rumors that they stopped making U-brakes because they were just too strong, stories about people bending rims, lol. We were so dumb.

JSHSKI

U-Brakes were 1. really hard to set up, 2. located perfectly for maximum mud and water to be splashed on them, & 3 may have squeezed the crap out of the rim but did little to slow the bike. To revisit the thread for a moment, I own three pairs of the ATAC's. None ever bent or broke, all release consistently as long as the riders body twists the right way, and represent a great choice. I'm too old school to buy fat platforms and VANs to ride in. (Although the colorful shoes earlier in this thread do rock) I first got both wheels off the ground riding with toe clips. An epiphany I can still recall like it was yesterday. Sure they suck when you can't get in, but I find the harder I think about it the worse it gets. No one was rooting for toe clips on this thread, so I had to give them my .02.
Joe

gorgonzola

i had rigid cro-mo zebra (zebrakenko?) ranger atb circa '87 with u brakes and elliptical sprockets, rode it with toe clips - man was i cutting edge :-o