What type of MTB pedals? Why? - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    I just picked up some sweet skate shoes on Brociety to use with platforms, what do you guys think??

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    I just picked up some sweet skate shoes on Brociety to use with platforms, what do you guys think??

I'll lend you my platforms if you want to try them. Shoes that sweet you must of kicked in the extra $$ for overnight shipping.
    2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    I'll lend you my platforms if you want to try them. Shoes that sweet you must of kicked in the extra $$ for overnight shipping.
    I ponied up for same day shipping, they should be waiting for me when I get home.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post

Could you say that again? I couldn't hear you over those shoes.
    If it ain't Poe, I don't go.

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    Looking to switch to the dark side?

I really like my Wellgo MG-1's, just make sure you get some flat soled grippy shoes. The FiveTen impact shoes get great reviews and will be what I get next. Any skate board sneaker with a flat tacky sole will also do the trick. The shate shoes I wear now I got from Walmart for $15. The are just about dead, but have lasted me a year. Not too shabby for $15. I went cheap for the first pair of shoes because I didn't know if I would stick with the platforms. But I love the platforms and will get a more expensive pair of 5/10's soon.
    Doesn't it suck to get off and push on a steep slick hill or log or something wearing skate shoes?

I like that my clipless shoes have good tread and lugs.

I ride Shimano M540's, btw.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Doesn't it suck to get off and push on a steep slick hill or log or something wearing skate shoes?

I like that my clipless shoes have good tread and lugs.

I ride Shimano M540's, btw.

I am now wearing FiveTen Impact shoes which are much better than my old skate shoes.

However, my clipless shoes are made specifically for MTB and also have big lugs on them for traction. That still doesn’t change the fact that there is a big metal cleat right on the ball of your foot where most of your weight gets distributed when you walk. My cheap old skate shoes had much better traction in all conditions than my clipless shoes. When riding with others and we had to hike something, even with my old skate shoes I always had a much easier time than those wearing any sort of clipless shoe.

The FiveTen’s are on a completely other level of traction. The company started making rock climbing shoes. They applied the grippy rubber used on their rock climbing shoes to MTB shoes.

Maybe on slick rock, but I have a hard time seeing flat sole skate shoes being better than clipless MTB shoes through soft dirt or up a short, greasy banking or through mud or the like. Or on a slipperly log or bridge.

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    I don't think I could ever ride without clipping in at this point. Even if I had some fine looking pink, brown, green and yellow 3/4 hi-top skate shoes with powder blue piping, like Brians.

Quote Originally Posted by marcski View Post
    I don't think I could ever ride without clipping in at this point. Even if I had some fine looking pink, brown, green and yellow 3/4 hi-top skate shoes with powder blue piping, like Brians.
    I wish they made those in a clipless shoe, then I'd really be happy...
    Brian

I think I just developed epilepsy looking at that picture.

Thread Information