• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What type of MTB pedals? Why?

Grassi21

So i have a total of 8 - 10 miles on these pedals and they are already falling apart. The two screws holding the silver plate to the pedal went missing (I noticed one was gone and the second one fell out on todays ride). The entire silver piece slid out of its groove. Not happy. I e-mailed Price Point. I want to exchange them for something more durable. Any suggestions? Greg, which Welgos do you have? They appeared to have less moving parts then the 5050s.

XGNA.jpg

eatskisleep

The platform pushers are going to tell you to get some shoes with more tacky soles. As I understand it, skate shoes are pretty good, but I would prefer something with a bit more foot protection.

mortis_shoe-84.jpg

mortis_shoe-83.jpg

5-10 shoes... All you need... Super super super (did I say super?) super grippy. You literally have to lift your foot up to reposition it on the pedal.

http://www.fiveten.com/

Greg

Staff member

Grassi21

I got these:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13...edals/Mountain/Wellgo-WAM-B25-Flat-Pedals.htm

I haven't used them yet so I can't speak on the durability or performance. Plus I have nothing to compare them to, but they get good reviews on MTBR:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/Pedal/wellgo/wam-b25/PRD_362875_135crx.aspx

For what I paid for the 5050s I can almost cover the shoe/pedal combo you bought. Hmmmm...

I can keep the snake skin shoes for casual wear and rock the same shoes on trail as my idol. ;-)

Greg

Staff member
I can keep the snake skin shoes for casual wear and rock the same shoes on trail as my idol. ;-)

The Settes are great if you go clipless, but I think the snake skins will be better for the platforms.

Grassi21

The Settes are great if you go clipless, but I think the snake skins will be better for the platforms.

I can see your point. But I do have those clipless pedals I got off of Gremf last season. I would have both sets of pedals and shoes covered if I grab that combo.

Greg

Staff member
I can see your point. But I do have those clipless pedals I got off of Gremf last season. I would have both sets of pedals and shoes covered if I grab that combo.

Got it. Remember, I have some extra SPD cleats if you need them.

Grassi21

Got it. Remember, I have some extra SPD cleats if you need them.

If I make the swap with Price Point I'd like to grab them. The clipless are going on the SS first. You know, for the Friendly's sessions.... :)

Greg

Staff member
If I make the swap with Price Point I'd like to grab them. The clipless are going on the SS first. You know, for the Friendly's sessions.... :)

What's up with that thing? The single speed? Post pics of that baby.

Grassi21

What's up with that thing? The single speed? Post pics of that baby.

I removed the cassette and reinstalled the rear wheels with the spacers. I cut the chain and tried to install it but as expected I need a tensioner. The bike is looking lean and mean. Should be fun to ride a nice light bike on a smooth trail.

MR. evil

Pedal

I am currently using the Welgo MG-1 pedals and love them. They are pretty durable, light weight and very grippy! You can also find them online pretty cheap if you look around.

eatskisleep

The 50/50s just might be the most hyped-up bike product to be a 100% let-down... I know a few people who had problems...

RENO

Platforms for me. Tried clipless for several months and just did not feel comfortable with them especially on tougher and steeper trails. Platforms aren't as efficient as clipless, but who cares. I'm not racing...

icedtea

Platforms for me. Tried clipless for several months and just did not feel comfortable with them especially on tougher and steeper trails. Platforms aren't as efficient as clipless, but who cares. I'm not racing...

do you use the gasket or just straight platform?

RENO

do you use the gasket or just straight platform?
They're Wellgo MG series platforms. It looks like it says MG II on the pedals. Not exactly sure. I can't find them on the internet, but they look almost exactly like this only a dark Olive color...

wellgo_mg-52_pedals.jpg

Philpug

Shimano 747's and 525's. Both are bulletproof and light.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Shimano 747's and 525's. Both are bulletproof and light.

I did not find this to be true. I've seen a bunch of them break where the clipless pedal suspended inside the platform would begin to spin freely and would not stay aligned with the cage. When shimano was contacted about the problem on a couple occasions where the pedals were less then a year old, shimano sited the manual which describes how the pedals should be rebuilt after some rediculous amount of hours like 20 or something. For some people 20 hours of riding might be 2 months, for others it's 2 weeks. That was the reason I switched to times, after riding shimano for 10 years. Once I did I could not believe how much better the mechanism is on times. Never ridden crank Bros, but I have seen the platforms dent and break. I think they are rebuildable...
When the times get loose, replace your cleats. When the springs wear, replace the springs. I've done each once in 3 years. The pedal is still tight, bearings feel great.

Bumpsis

Toe clips. I always felt really comfortable with this arrangement. Keep them loose so getting out is never a problem. Getting in under some schetchy conditions is a different story, but I accpet the trade off.
I have a clipless system on my road bike - Speedplay's frogs. My knees really need to big float.

I doubt that I'll ever go clipless on the MTB, but I was thinking about switching to those power strips that fit diagonally across your pedal. They look super easy to get into even under stress and probably hav ethe same pulling power as toe clips.

Does anyone have any experience with those?