• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mont Orford - 4/30/05

skijay

Resort: Mont Orford

Date Skied: 04/30/05 (Officially closed for the season a week or so ago)
Conditions: Patches of snow, light rain, damp

Trip Report:

This is kind of a ski trip report as I did ski. My friend that I went up with thought I was nuts, but since I knew I was going to be up in the area this weekend I through my snow blades & boots in the vehicle. I was wanting to try out my new skis that I bought and have not used yet, but I figured I did not want them to become rock skis before their time.

When we pulled into the lot it was about 3pm and was raining. There were three people walking up to the top of Giroux. It looked like they had snow boards and would have a nice run as you can see in the picture of the upper trail with snow. They went into the woods possibly to cut through to reach the summit by walking on grass.

I did the small patch of snow on the lower part of the mountain. I used a bungy cord to sling my ski boots over my shoulder. I had a rain jacket on, shorts and my back pack to put my hiking shoes in. I left my snow blades in the bag to carry them up easier. You know I was determined to walk up further up but carrying the boots like this was getting obnoxious. How do you carry your ski gear and do Tucks????

Anyway I only wanted to put my boots on and ski down a little patch of snow so I could say I skied this weekend. I got in about 30 feet of vertical drop on a approximately 300 foot patch of snow that was icy, slushy soft and dirty. The cold rain was a bonus.

That is my trip report. The total "event" lasted 40 minutes.

orford043005.jpg
[/img]

awf170

going up tux people tie there boots to the side of there bag and either put the boots in the bag or click them into the skis

Greg

Staff member
Awesome. Way to earn your turn(s).

skijay

No updates on the status of next season. The lodge was locked up and no staff around.

I asked my relatives but nobody had any new information.

dmc

Bob R said:
I'm always impressed with people who work for turns, Nice job :D

Be impressed with your bad self and come to Tucks in two weekends with me...

ChileMass

skijay said:
No updates on the status of next season. The lodge was locked up and no staff around.

I asked my relatives but nobody had any new information.

I just signed up for the Orford email newsletter so I can stay on top of this. Man, I hope they are open next year.

May have to go up there and get a round of golf in this summer, too......

Vortex

dmc said:
Isnt this weekend Moms day?
Yes, that why the trip is no feasible. Welch Dickey is about 15 min from my place and and easy 3 hour round trip. I'll be back in time to cook out and take care of my bride and her Mom. Then Sunday my Mom and Gram.