• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I like Alison Krauss

pedxing

I've seen a few mentions of Alison Kraus, so I thought I might mention that she is headlining at a benefit concert at Sanders theater in Cambridge. Sanders theater is a pretty small place with great acoustics and no bad seats and is owned by Harvard. The bill includes: Alison Krauss, Richard Thompson, David Grisman, Dar Williams, Geoff Muldaur and Olabelle and its called "the Living Legends Award Concert" its May 20th. Tickets are pricey, my wife got me tickets for the previous night (which are less pricey).

http://clubpassim.org/images/47at47_poster.pdf

Lostone

I'm not that hot on Alison Kraus, and I have no idea who Olabelle is, but the rest of the lineup is great!

I love bluegrass when they play, but when they sing... No somebody else's turn. :roll: :wink:

Back when I lived in Arlington, I saw a lot of acts, but most in much smaller venues than the Sanders.

ChileMass

Alison Krauss has the voice of an angel. She could sing names out of the phonebook and I'd pay to hear it.....

David Grisman is one of all-time favorites, also......have a great time!

dmc

I love her voice... It's amazing... So expressive..
I listen to her song Gravity over and over again.. Just amazing. I do like it when the break it down and get heavy on the blue grass as well..
But her voice is just amazing to me..

Also like her singing with Phish too... :)

Max

Somewhere I have Alison's first bluegrass recording, released on vinyl back when she was, oh, 16 perhaps? I haven't seen her live, but I'd go to one of her concerts just to watch and listen to Jerry Douglas.

BeanoNYC

Anyone dig Yonder Mountain String Band? They rock! Their shows are up on archive.org .... check em out.

ChileMass

BeanoNYC said:
archive.org ....

Beano - I have mentioned www.archive.org on this site a couple of times and recommend it strongly.

Any site with almost 2800 Dead shows and 1000 Phish shows has it going on. And - it's a place to get check out other bands for free and legally....

Joshua B

It's interesting that this topic came up because her record label, Rounder Records, pays my salary. One of the publicists here thought ChileMass' comment was cool.

Joshua B

Ah yes. I saw Ellis at an in-store in downtown Boston last year and really enjoyed him and his collaboration with Vance Gilbert. And I'm not a big folk guy.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I haven't seen them together live, I wish I had. I did see Vance do a solo show at Passim; it was amusing watching him harass the sidewalk listeners out through the windows. :) Damn, that guy has a ton of energy!

I'll also put in my vote for Patty Griffin. Her & Ellis together was a fine, fine show.

pedxing

Yeah seeing Vance and Ellis together is a whole lot of fun.

I was once a member of Club Passim and went often - not so much lately. It can be a fun place, for sure.

ChileMass

Joshua B said:
It's interesting that this topic came up because her record label, Rounder Records, pays my salary. One of the publicists here thought ChileMass' comment was cool.

Josh B - just back form a few days out of town, so I missed your post from Friday.

Tell Rounder my comments and feedback can be purchased at any time for the price of a ticket to one of Alison's shows...... :D :D

Thanks for the note - CM

jjmcgo

Does anyone know if Alison Krauss is her real name or if she chose it to honor the young student killed at Kent State?

jjmcgo

Good catch

I didn't notice. Nice catch. She has a beautiful voice.