• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Cars

snowmonster

I got a Jeep Patriot 4x4 last year for a shade less than 20K (it could have been cheaper but I just had to have a sunroof, heated seats, etc. I also had no rebates or discounts which I am sure they are handing out now.). I used it through the winter and I was very happy -- plowed through slush, ice and snow. Very good in wintry conditions. It's not a serious off-roader but gets the job done and gives me peace of mind when conditions are sketchy.

Gas consumption is pretty good. I usually get 25 mpg on trips to Sunday River where I'm doing 80 - 85 mph on the pike with a ski rack with 3 pairs of skis attached. If I modify my driving habits and drive nearer the speed limit (as I did during the summer), I hit 27 or 28 mpg. I drive stick so that contributes to fuel economy.

The only downside for a family of four is that it's got limited cargo space in the back. A roofbox will definitely be neeed for longer trips with a lot of gear. But for day trips or overnighters, it's good.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I totally vote for the Ford Escape Hybrid. I think 2WD would be acceptable, but I have 4WD and I can get through some pretty snowy roads with ease. I'm getting around 32mpg right now.

Vortex

I'm thinking about an outback or forester to replace the Van. Dog and two kids and junk. Bigger is better IMO for the trip north. A used SUV gets similar mileage to some mid to large size cars and the deals are insane on used suv's. Seen many explorers and Jimmy's 50k mileage in the 10k dollar range.. I got a 12 month 12 mile warrranty on mine thrown in as well.

Geoff

My opinion about ski cars in the Northeast:

FWD vs AWD/4WD
With the advent of high tech snow tires, AWD/4WD is completely unnecessary for most people. I own an SUV because I tow a boat. No way I'd own it otherwise and I drive a FWD Volkswagen 99% of the time I don't need to tow or haul something. My VW with Blizzak WS-60's is an excellent snow car and far better than my SUV with stock tires since it stops and corners properly in slick conditions. If you have a major hill to deal with, big ruts during mud month, or pathetically poor plowing on a long driveway, 4WD, a skid plate, and some ground clearance makes sense but that's not the typical weekend skier.

You pay a substantial mileage penalty for an AWD system. Most chew up 2 mpg from the added weight and friction. You also spend more for the vehicle. An AWD system is yet more to break. Add up the numbers in 150K miles. It's a lot of money for something you rarely use.

Type of car:
With two adults and an 11 & 15 year old who will both be adults during the ownership of your car, you need rear legroom. That rules out a huge number of very nice FWD 30 mpg regular gas options. Your choices are between another minivan, what is now classified as a large station wagon (Dodge Magnum, Ford Flex), or a crossover. With the crossover, I'd be very tempted to omit the AWD option if it adds substantially to the price.

bvibert

Staff member
Yeah 20 MPG is a little low, but it's a 340 HP wagon. It's a bit of a rocket.

I can certainly see how that would be fun, but 340HP is WAY more than I would need. The MPG hit and the likely speeding ticket/insurance increase would definitely kill the deal for me. My next car is going to have to get at least as good of mileage as my current car (the 1.8T is plenty speedy for me). I can get 30ish MPG if I really try, but mid 20's is more typical the way I drive. I'd like my next car to do a little better than that, though I don't know if I could handle the likely performance hit...

WJenness

I can certainly see how that would be fun, but 340HP is WAY more than I would need. The MPG hit and the likely speeding ticket/insurance increase would definitely kill the deal for me. My next car is going to have to get at least as good of mileage as my current car (the 1.8T is plenty speedy for me). I can get 30ish MPG if I really try, but mid 20's is more typical the way I drive. I'd like my next car to do a little better than that, though I don't know if I could handle the likely performance hit...

I know you were talking about an Audi at one point... I've got a 2004 A4 (sedan) with the 3.0 v6 (6 speed) and my mileage is pretty much similar to what you posted except when my girlfriend drives the car... with her it's easy 15% better than when I drive... just as an FYI... and I love my car in the snow, it was great last year (first winter with it). AWD + all seasons... when these tires are done, I'll be getting a winter setup and a summer setup. the A4 avant may be just what you want. There are some great deals on just off lease stuff (how I got mine) and buying it certified is great for peace of mind.

-w

Glenn

I gotta say, my Dodge Magnum (AWD Hemi) is the best ski car I've owned. With all season tires, it seems to handle better than some other AWD/4WDs I've had (M-Class Mercedes and Jeep Wrangler).

They stopped making the Magnum last year, but the sedan versions are available in AWD as Chargers and 300s. With the rocket box on top, it easily fits in the garage. I can also get 20 MPG on ski trips if I'm easy on the accelerator.

maggie.jpg

That's bad ass! I love it! 8)

I'd probably get about 3mpg with something like that. I'd put an intake and an exhaust on it...then drive around with the windows open just to listen to the mechanical symphony . :lol:

tekweezle

i only get about 24-26 mpg highway on my 2005 Forrester and am considering looking for a wagon that gets better gas mileage.

Forrester has a good form factor and is everything I need, just wished I could eek out a little more mileage considering that its a regular 4 cyl vehicle.

bvibert

Staff member
I know you were talking about an Audi at one point... I've got a 2004 A4 (sedan) with the 3.0 v6 (6 speed) and my mileage is pretty much similar to what you posted except when my girlfriend drives the car... with her it's easy 15% better than when I drive... just as an FYI... and I love my car in the snow, it was great last year (first winter with it). AWD + all seasons... when these tires are done, I'll be getting a winter setup and a summer setup. the A4 avant may be just what you want. There are some great deals on just off lease stuff (how I got mine) and buying it certified is great for peace of mind.

-w

An A4 Avant with a stick is my dream car. Right now my budget dictates an 01 VW instead. I'm surprised you get such high numbers with the 6 cyl. I have a VERY heavy foot though. I'm one of those guys that pretty much floors it every time I start from a stop (or accelerate at all for that matter). I've always been pretty heavy footed, but now with the turbo it's so much fun to hear it spooling up. ;)

Glenn

Play around with your tire pressure. IMHO, that's the most cost effective way to boost mileage. At the very least, check it weekly and make sure it's correct based on the sticker in the door jamb.

downhill04

I have to join in with the Subaru praise. I have a 07 Legacy and LOVE it. AWD 30mpg 175hp. handles better in the snow than any of the 4 SUV’s I previously owned. The Legacy might be a little small for you and the fam but the Forester should be big enough.

Will definitely buy another Subaru.

WJenness

An A4 Avant with a stick is my dream car. Right now my budget dictates an 01 VW instead. I'm surprised you get such high numbers with the 6 cyl. I have a VERY heavy foot though. I'm one of those guys that pretty much floors it every time I start from a stop (or accelerate at all for that matter). I've always been pretty heavy footed, but now with the turbo it's so much fun to hear it spooling up. ;)

I'm shocked too. Every time I fill up the tank, I do the numbers in my head expecting it to be lower... but it isn't.

I drive decently heavy footed, but short shift a lot too... so I'm sure that helps...

I know what you mean about the turbo. My buddy just bought a 2000 Audi S4 (I might have urged him a little bit)... that thing is so much fun. He just ordered a new bipipe and diverter valves... he's getting a chip next.... :)

-w

Edd

I drive an 02 Legacy Wagon and it gets worked hard (129,000 miles so far) and the reliability has been stellar. I would love to stick with Subaru next time but gas prices have me thinking twice also. Giving up AWD would suck though..

I like the look of the new Impreza hatchbacks but the damn things are tiny inside. I figure this is how Subaru makes up for giving the customer AWD with competative pricing. They get charged a space premium. The latest Forester may be an exception. I think I'd choose it over a CRV or RAV4. That was the best move Subaru has made in years. The worst was discontinuing the Legacy wagon in the US.

Hawkshot99

I would love to stick with Subaru next time but gas prices have me thinking twice also. Giving up AWD would suck though..

You could rig it up so you can turn the AWD off..... My sister has a 06 or 07 Subaru. The cheapest car they have(don't know the model). Our mechanic installed a switch on the dash that can make it FWD. Don't know what it does to her mileage, but it is better.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
My opinion about ski cars in the Northeast:

FWD vs AWD/4WD
With the advent of high tech snow tires, AWD/4WD is completely unnecessary for most people. I own an SUV because I tow a boat. No way I'd own it otherwise and I drive a FWD Volkswagen 99% of the time I don't need to tow or haul something. My VW with Blizzak WS-60's is an excellent snow car and far better than my SUV with stock tires since it stops and corners properly in slick conditions. If you have a major hill to deal with, big ruts during mud month, or pathetically poor plowing on a long driveway, 4WD, a skid plate, and some ground clearance makes sense but that's not the typical weekend skier.

You pay a substantial mileage penalty for an AWD system. Most chew up 2 mpg from the added weight and friction. You also spend more for the vehicle. An AWD system is yet more to break. Add up the numbers in 150K miles. It's a lot of money for something you rarely use.

Type of car:
With two adults and an 11 & 15 year old who will both be adults during the ownership of your car, you need rear legroom. That rules out a huge number of very nice FWD 30 mpg regular gas options. Your choices are between another minivan, what is now classified as a large station wagon (Dodge Magnum, Ford Flex), or a crossover. With the crossover, I'd be very tempted to omit the AWD option if it adds substantially to the price.

My dad has the Ford Escape Hybrid in 2WD and gets around 40 MPG but he's in Flordia where they have less hills

BigJay

I've had a Mazda3 for 4 years now. I live around Jay Peak and travel to the mountain on the harshest conditions and never had issues... Good tires make a great difference. I get around 29 MPG...

Last year we tought about changing to a Suby Impreza... But the higher cost of the car (about 4K more) plus it's lower fuel economy (23-25MPG) were too much difference for the benifit of having the all-wheel drive... So we bought another Mazda3...

I'm not saying you should get a 3 for the family... but "bigger is better" is not too wise when it comes to paying at the pump for the "added size"... And i'm about 5 miles from the mountain... and we do get tons of snow...

Down south, things are not as fierce... and having to haul around that big ass SUV all summer long for a couple of drives in winter isn't much worth it...

There are "bigger" cars out there for families... that won't ruin you at the pump! And seriously how useful is that big HEMI when everyone is driving at 30mph on the highway during a storm! Normally, all i see in the ditch are over-confident SUV drivers and skiers with no winter tires...

So in short: Smaller car, good tires and you're good ALL YEAR LONG! :grin:

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
I've got a "99 Subie station wagon(23mpg) that we leave up at Hunter, 02 Subie station wagon(30mpg) for my wife here at home and a 08 Toyota Highlander(22mpg)..........the best out of the three per milage/snow worthiness is the 02 (bought it on ebay!!) GOOD LUCK!