• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Cars

hammer

Test drove a few Audis a few weeks ago. Looking at something smaller so I checked out the A3 and Q3. The A3 was a fun little car but it may be a bit too little...trunk space is tiny. The Q3 was nice for a compact crossover but the engine/powertrain combo is underwhelming for the price point.

I also checked out a few BMW X1s earlier and they were nice but they didn't wow me. Strong acceleration but I'm not entirely sure about the new FWD based platform.

Think that next up on the list will be a 3 Series and A4. Should also venture away from Euro sedans to see what else is out there.

Not too serious at this point, mainly looking because my current ride is still doing well and I can hand it down to my daughter. She may need something that handles in the snow/ice better than what she currently drives, although I am also considering cheaper options like just getting a set of snows for her car.

yeggous

Test drove a few Audis a few weeks ago. Looking at something smaller so I checked out the A3 and Q3. The A3 was a fun little car but it may be a bit too little...trunk space is tiny. The Q3 was nice for a compact crossover but the engine/powertrain combo is underwhelming for the price point.

I also checked out a few BMW X1s earlier and they were nice but they didn't wow me. Strong acceleration but I'm not entirely sure about the new FWD based platform.

Think that next up on the list will be a 3 Series and A4. Should also venture away from Euro sedans to see what else is out there.

Not too serious at this point, mainly looking because my current ride is still doing well and I can hand it down to my daughter. She may need something that handles in the snow/ice better than what she currently drives, although I am also considering cheaper options like just getting a set of snows for her car.

The entry-level luxury market has the lowest owner satisfaction ratings of any class of vehicle. People think they are getting a luxury car for a reasonable price, but are unprepared for the sacrifices since they are really just buying the badge.

Off all the manufacturers in that market, Audi makes the best vehicles especially when considering reliability. The A4 is a big step up from the A3. While it seems only a little bigger, you get more quality. The AWD system is a big difference moving from a Haldex to Torsen system

deadheadskier

Staff member
I had to look up what this truck is. The front end is a turnoff right away.
Not much better from the side with the giant RAPTOR graphics. Saw one out at dinner last night. It reminds me of one of my son's toy trucks.

5a8ea98bc798efc6891ce58d4d4ba66a.jpg

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Glenn

Take a look at the Lexus IS250. Smaller sedan, similar to the A3/A4. But it's going to have better reliability vs. the German brands.

BenedictGomez

Have to agree, both that Raptor and that Ram just look cartoonishly silly to me. Like the Chevy though.

What really amazes me is how expensive pick-up trucks have gotten. They used to be point A to point B work trucks that you can scratch & bang up on a farm, now they're tens-of-thousands of dollars. I cant really appreciate that. Is anyone who owns a raptor really hauling manure in it or casually tossing nail-embedded 2x4s in the back? I doubt it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I can tell you my friend who has a Raptor doesn't use it for work purposes. He sells Spruce Peak real estate. Drives the Raptor in winter and has a Mustang Cobra for the summer. Likes fast cars

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Need to keep things in context. The Raptor is not a work truck. It's designed for maximum off-road capability. Also why the styling is a bit over the top. It comes with the territory, which is why you see similar elements in the Chevy and Dodge variants.

Now, are these people actually taking them off road, probably not. But they're definitely not hauling concrete with them. Otherwise, they'd get a F350, or even a standard F150.

Domeskier

Is anyone who owns a raptor really hauling manure in it or casually tossing nail-embedded 2x4s in the back? I doubt it.

Nah. They're too busy tailgating other drivers on the highway or menacing on-coming traffic on narrow byways.

Edd

My workplace has its own parking garage and there are quite a few pickups there. They all feel very compelled to back into their parking spots so I stop and wait frequently for them to complete this maneuver. It's like they're landing a 747 they go so slow.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I guess my feeling is that they might be alienating some potential buyers with the cartoonish looks. Some folks are interested in the level of performance something like the Raptor provides, but prefer a more subdued look. I like how a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT looks basically the same as a standard GC.

dlague

The funny thing about Colorado - I thought it was an environmentally conscious state with focus on green energy and recycling. There are more darn pickups and SUVs here than I have ever seen. The #1 selling AWD - Subaru.