• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Cars

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
I need a new ski car. Or a used one, more likely. I figured I would ask here for some suggestions.

My family's current ski ride, for the last too many years, is a Chrysler Town & Country mini van w/Yakima racks. It has 140K+ miles on it and is on its 3rd transmission. I put snow tires on this front wheel drive vehicle w/traction control and have never gotten stuck in snow. (Mud: yea...) It does countless rides to, from & around the Catskills. It has to haul my wife and two kids, soon to be aged 11 & 15 and all our stuff, multiple skis, food, clothes, etc. for 2-7 day trips.

I am thinking, with a rack box, I can go a little smaller than the mini-van. An SUV or crossover with decent gas mileage? - something that won't break the bank (especially since Mr. Dow is busy adding 5 years to my projected retirement date).

So what should I look for?

Last edited:

Glenn

Yeah, the transmissions in those vans are prone to failure.

Call me crazy, but now is a good time to buy an SUV. People are spooked by gas prices and that's dropped the prices quite a bit. A buddy and myself were drooling over some 06 Grand Cherokee's on E-Bay last week. Nothing like 2 year old loaded $40k Jeep going for under $20k.

There are a lot of good vehicles out there now that are really reliable. Every brand/model has their quirks, it's just the nature of the beast.

Make sure you get a good look at the cargo area and seating area if you're thinking of going to a smaller vehicle. One thing about those mini vans is the space: There's a ton of it!

I'm a big fan of AWD or 4wd. And it's cool to see AWD being offered on more vehicles these days. With a decent set of all seasons, you should be able to get anywhere.

Our ski vehicle is an 03 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 I-6. I eek out 20mpg (self calculated) on the way to an from the mountain. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary. :p

bvibert

Staff member
Subie wagons seem to be a popular choice amongst outdoor enthusiasts in general, skiers in particular. I'll definitely be considering one for my next vehicle. With a box on top you should have no problem fitting your family and gear into one.

Vortex

I had an explorer, I bought a Montero sport. I liked the explorer better same gas mileage about 21 to 22 on the ride to ski country.. Explorer better in the snow and higher up and more space. I bought another explorer a couple of months ago and buried the sport. Repairs and insurance are lower on the explorere as well. We have a van, but SUV is better in the snow and gets better mileage.

wa-loaf

Used Outback or Forrester. Toyota Sienna 4WD for something bigger. VW wagon fwd or 4motion.

Greg

Staff member
We're still leaning towards the new Forrester. Good balance of gas mileage, features/price, and AWD capability.

Glenn

i am ever so close to buying a new FJ cruiser. i also like the dodge nitro but dodge is shit.

I like the look of the Nitro vs the Liberty. I haven't read much about the Nitro. I find interweb forums with the enthusiasts hang out always have the low down. 8)

campgottagopee

For sure a new Subi Forester or Outbk can be bought for under 25k and will give you many years of great reliable service. That's my vote

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
laugh at it's shape.. but my subaru baja is a virtual tank second to none in the snow. it has a spot for the stinky gear in the back and with racks for the skis fits 4 comfortable. I get about 28 to the gallon absolutly stuffed with people and gear.. 30 or so empty. I;ve been in situations going to the girl friends barn at midnight to adminsiter meds where snow was coming over the hood while climbing Mountain Road in Granby / Hartland CT.

I'd get another Sub-y for sure.

I'm coming off an all wheel drive Chevy Astro with the gas eater package that got me to every single first chair i've ever asked to ... until it's chevy'ness kicked in and was time to abort it.

since the baja is ugly (think it's been canned by the auto maker) i got it fairly cheap, even though new. It's essentially a legacy, with the same chasis and interior. just with the wierd trunk / pick up area. (key for mtn biking, tailgating ...

bvibert

Staff member
laugh at it's shape.. but my subaru baja is a virtual tank second to none in the snow. it has a spot for the stinky gear in the back and with racks for the skis fits 4 comfortable. I get about 28 to the gallon absolutly stuffed with people and gear.. 30 or so empty. I;ve been in situations going to the girl friends barn at midnight to adminsiter meds where snow was coming over the hood while climbing Mountain Road in Granby / Hartland CT.

I'm coming off an all wheel drive Chevy Astro with the gas eater package that got me to every single first chair i've ever asked to ... until it's chevy'ness kicked in and was time to abort it.

since the baja is ugly (think it's been canned by the auto maker) i got it fairly cheap, even though new. It's essentially a legacy, with the same chasis and interior. just with the wierd trunk / pick up area. (key for mtn biking, tailgating ...

I actually don't think your baja is that ugly, tough to fit a family of 4 into though. ;)

frozencorn

Totally the Forester. Buddy of mine has one and we took it to Tahoe in a storm. No need for chains, and that sucker pounded through the snow. Just overall impressive ride in those conditions.

Last edited:

campgottagopee

Subaru totally missed the boat by dropping the Baja line. We sold a good amount of those here in CNY, and in fact was a big seller in the NE region. I suggested they make that car on the Tribeca platform to give them a bigger market for the car, but obviously they didn't listen:)

Baja's are cool!!!

vcunning

i am ever so close to buying a new FJ cruiser. i also like the dodge nitro but dodge is shit.

I gotta say, my Dodge Magnum (AWD Hemi) is the best ski car I've owned. With all season tires, it seems to handle better than some other AWD/4WDs I've had (M-Class Mercedes and Jeep Wrangler).

They stopped making the Magnum last year, but the sedan versions are available in AWD as Chargers and 300s. With the rocket box on top, it easily fits in the garage. I can also get 20 MPG on ski trips if I'm easy on the accelerator.

maggie.jpg

Last edited: