• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SKIING: Killington, Vermont - Friday, 11/21

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
I think there will be lots of AZ parties..last year opening weekend at Mount Snow wasn't even that crowded..I could ski fast and avoid people..the Canyon-Standard run is fairly wide..I like to ease into the ski seasons..I sort of hope there aren't any bumps opening day..but push piles are fun for getting credit card air..lol

ill take you word on it. lets see what happens and we'll tag team that biatch. ya i really dont want any bumps first day just high speed cruisin.

Glenn

Just to add to the jones factor, when I hiked up and around Mount Snow this AM, grass on chute has been cut AND the snowmaking hose has been dropped off at each spigot/gun! Guns haven't been hooked upto to the hoses or pulled into place yet, but it won't be long now :snow: ;)

Absolutely amazing how much off season work Mount Snow has done/still is doing. The semi-sad thing is that a great deal of what they've done WON'T be noticed by all but the most diehard of mountain ops/ snowmaking tech/Mount Snow "geeks" :rolleyes: New feeder pipes, "recycled" air/water tower guns on trails that were formerly ground guns, multiple new decks, repositioned kids program buildings, LOTS of paint, widened juntions of trails, and oh yes 150 fan guns ;)

We went up the Summit Local on Sunday. I was impressed with how much work had been done. It almost looked like they had done some type of blasting....or rock removal. I noticed a lot of hay/straw was laid down and small chunks of rocks under that.

Greg

Staff member
So.....4 weeks? Sounds good to me! :spread:

Glenn

woohoo.gif

drjeff

We went up the Summit Local on Sunday. I was impressed with how much work had been done. It almost looked like they had done some type of blasting....or rock removal. I noticed a lot of hay/straw was laid down and small chunks of rocks under that.

All of that hay was covering up where they ran new electrical and BIG diameter water lines along Upper Canyon/Standard. The hay in the Lodge/Exhibition area was covering up the impromptu work road they put in for the fan gun installation and associated electrical cable.

In all seriousness this IS the most amount of summer work that's been done at Mount Snow since The Grand Summit Hotel went in in the mid 90's and the re-alignment/movement of the base terminal of the Grand Summit Express/the base terminal of Ego Alley, Tumbleweed Triple and Sundance Triple base movement happened.

A good chunck of the work that Mount Snow did will also go unnoticed except by habitual summer hikers and Mount Snow snowmaking + operations geeks like myself. The 150 new fan guns in the big scheme of things is between 1/3rd and 1/2 of what they did this summer!

Glenn

I kinda wish we took a trip up there earlier in the summer...to see some of the actual work being done. I would have loved to see them install one of those fan guns.

Greg

Staff member
Okay. Time to put in a V Day. This is contingent on a few things:
  • They're open
  • Chute is open
  • Chute is ungroomed
  • It's not raining
I could push to Friday, 11/21 if need be. Who else is down?

I officially put in for the day off on Friday, 11/14. Bring it on! :snow: :spread:

powhunter

I have off that thurs and friday...maybe snow one day and kmart another depending on when they open (or where the best bumps are ;-) )

steve

bvibert

Staff member
Sorry...I'm not going anywhere until the baby is born. Even then my trips will be limited.

You get a pass on that one. Once it's born we expect to see you out with the kid strapped to your back though...