• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SKIING: Killington, Vermont - Friday, 11/21

MRGisevil

Sorry dudes- only two vacation days left this year and they're pretty much spoken for. Have fun- perhaps I'll see the stragglers on the 15th.

Glenn

I'm getting excited for this. Mt. Snow says they want to have top to bottom runs open on opening day.

Greg

Staff member
IIRC that's the approach they took last year as well, isn't it?

It's the goal every year, but remember that challenging fall in 2006? They were willing to download that year via the Canyon Quad.

Glenn

IIRC that's the approach they took last year as well, isn't it?

I wish I knew. I didn't get back into it until Mid January. :smash:

I think they want to have a terrain park open as well. We just need to see some consistantly cool weather up there.

I've got my hopes up though. Last year, at our season ending ATV ride, we went up to the backside of Jimmney Peak; and they had the summit quad open. That was the last weekend of November. So I'm holding out hope for southern VT. :grin:

bvibert

Staff member

I think they want to have a terrain park open as well. We just need to see some consistantly cool weather up there.

I've got my hopes up though. Last year, at our season ending ATV ride, we went up to the backside of Jimmney Peak; and they had the summit quad open. That was the last weekend of November. So I'm holding out hope for southern VT. :grin:

Last year they opened T2B and had the terrain park open (if not on opening day then shortly after). They also got Chute open in short order. I forget their opening date (the 10th I think), but by the time we got there on the 12th of November the conditions were simply awesome.

I'm hoping for a repeat performance myself. :snow:

Greg

Staff member

Last season they opened with Canyon-Standard to showcase the fan gun power. I think it was shortly thereafter that they opened River Run and Chute. I think there was another run open near Carinthia with some terrain park features. The day a bunch of AZers skied there, Chute was ungroomed, and had deeeeep spongy manmade which skied great. I would expect a similar terrain roll-out this season.

Still hoping for a bumped up Chute for the 14th. That would rule it.

Greg

Staff member
I think it was shortly thereafter that they opened River Run and Chute.

On second thought, maybe River Run wasn't open. I can't remember. They usually do that to allow access to TNF from the Canyon Quad, but they were running the summit quad from the get-go IIRC.

bvibert

Staff member
On second thought, maybe River Run wasn't open. I can't remember. They usually do that to allow access to TNF from the Canyon Quad, but they were running the summit quad from the get-go IIRC.

I think River Run was open too.

Euler

My countdown widget that counts the days 'till Nov 8th shows 11 DAYS!!! - Weather looks resonable right now for a good Nov 8th opening to happen. :snow:

I'll try to hook up with one AZ group or another on one of the first couple of weekends. Fridays are out for me, but if people get a Sat/Sun morning rondezvous worked out I'll try to find you folks.

Glenn

They talked about what they wanted to open on opening day. I want to say it was on the mobile site over the weekend? Or late last week. I can't find it now. :x I know they talked about Standard. They also talked about Deer Run and Long John since they put a bunch of fan guns on those trails in the off season.

Sounds like they had an awesome opening last year. I can't wait to get up there again. I need to get my butt in gear and get my the bidings mounted on my twins. I can't beleive how fast the season is approaching. Not that I'm complaining. :grin:

Greg

Staff member
Here's a stoke pic. Morning of 11/11/07 on Chute, the date before last year's gathering:

119479115711-11-07blog2.jpg

Is a repeat too much to ask? Please oh please!

bvibert

Staff member
Here's a stoke pic. Morning of 11/11/07 on Chute, the date before last year's gathering:

Dude, I just got a knot in my stomach looking at that pic. :eek:

I REALLY hope for a repeat performance, otherwise I'm going to be disappointed. Not to say that I won't be happy to be out on skis, but last year's first day spoiled me...

Glenn

Wow! That would totally deliver! I'd take that in early November.