• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SKIING: Killington, Vermont - Friday, 11/21

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
You getting a place up at Mount Snow, Steve?

its a real possibilty. for a pass and the house for the season it would come out to around 1700. the place is in bear crossing. i want to go look at it durring the az day or i might try to get up there this week to take a look at it. it would also give me a closer jumping off point for stowe durring the storms. there would be 5 others( 50/50 split boys to girls). im just kinda on the fence about it. its not stowe and i already got my pass to MC. my usual plan is ride when ever at MC and when it snows more than a foot i head to stowe. but its such a small amount of money for a huge house. at least i dont have to make a choice till after the AZ day.

Items 2 and 3 *might* be an issue. Just a hunch, but I wouldn't be suprised at all if Mount Snow's trail roll out this year is a little different than in years past. I'd bet that ALOT of early season snowmaking resources (read as water) is focused on Carinthia for a few reasons. 1) Carinthia and it's parks/pipes are hands down going to be the #1 focus of Mount Snow and its marketing this year, and the faster they open more terrain there/the faster the parks get bigger, the more of the day-ticket buying early season park/pipe market who traditionally shows up early and in marginal conditions the'll attract and 2) The Mountain Dew/AST Tour stop at Mount Snow January 8-11. HUGE event, national TV sameday coverage, lots of 3rd party $$ being pumped into marketing this event = BIG exposure for Mount Snow + the Deerfield Valley, so Mount Snow will be doing everything they can to make the mountain look as good as possible for this event, and that means having a HUGE superpipe and a HUGE + LONG park in place the 1st week of January - This is alot of snow that needs to be made, and hence one of the reasons why they've already started making snow for the 1/2 pipe.

As a result of this, as long as mother nature cooperates, Chute will be in the first wave of trails rolled out, but it wouldn't suprise if it's Thanksgiving week before that happens.

i think we should wait till midweek next week and make a call on where to got. im am down for either snow or kton. i would rather do mt snow so i can look at the house to see if i want it or not but we have to go where the snow is.

Greg

Staff member
I'm down with remaining flexible as far as the venue goes. Bottom line is come hell or high water, I'm skiing somewhere that day. If we get a run on TNF, then Snow is a go; otherwise, probably K-mart.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I'll join you guys at Snow, but if it's K-mart, that's a bit borderline for a daytrip with the kids. I don't mind playing lodge mom most of the day and only getting a few runs in. But the extra drive time to K-mart makes for a REALLY long drive with the kids in tow. And I have a free pass for Snow, whereas I'd have to pay at K-mart (which I prefer not to pay to ski there-it's more expensive than anywhere else I ski and not really worth the cost for only a few runs).

Beetlenut

I'll join you guys at Snow, but if it's K-mart, that's a bit borderline for a daytrip with the kids. I don't mind playing lodge mom most of the day and only getting a few runs in. But the extra drive time to K-mart makes for a REALLY long drive with the kids in tow.

+1 for me too if I'm driving up alone. I'll probably decide a day or two before.

Greg

Staff member
I'd prefer Snow myself. No sense in traveling an extra hour for a WROD. It will be pitch dependent for me though. Whatever mountain has steeper or ungroomed terrain open gets my vote. I'm not opposed to pushing it up a week to the 21st either. It doesn't look like any snowmaking is going to happen until the weekend, at best... :roll:

bvibert

Staff member
I'd prefer Snow myself. No sense in traveling an extra hour for a WROD. It will be pitch dependent for me though. Whatever mountain has steeper or ungroomed terrain open gets my vote. I'm not opposed to pushing it up a week to the 21st either. It doesn't look like any snowmaking is going to happen until the weekend, at best... :roll:

I'm flexible, but would prefer Snow. I think the 21st would work for me, if needed, too. I'm not planning a burning a vacation day unless it's worth it.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside

ya snow is great cause its closer. plus i have other stuff i want to see in the area. i did find some great deals on rooms for those dates 60 for a place right at the entrance and like a 120 for the grand summit.

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com

Yeah, seems rough . . .

Might have to postpone my attending an AZ gathering until Hunter in Early December . . .

Greg

Staff member
so what is the plan to just ski friday. i have to be back in the city by 10:30 so i think i would go up early on thursday and get some time in on thursday. what are others plans?

Day trip regardless if it's Snow or Killington.

Greg

Staff member
Check out [post="202827"]this post[/post] from last year. they started making snow on Chute on the 8th, and it opened the afternoon of the 11th. If they start making snow on Chute by Tuesday or Wednesday, maybe we have a chance for Friday. Fresh snowmaking and spongy bumps sound great to me! Fingers crossed...

drjeff

Check out [post="202827"]this post[/post] from last year. they started making snow on Chute on the 8th, and it opened the afternoon of the 11th. If they start making snow on Chute by Tuesday or Wednesday, maybe we have a chance for Friday. Fresh snowmaking and spongy bumps sound great to me! Fingers crossed...

I'd think that it's a safe bet that once they get the temps early next week, that the snow cloud they'll create just may very well show up on the national weather service radar! The biggest question will be how long will it take them to drain Snow Lake and have to temporarily stop making snow for it to refill??

Last years opening snowmaking assault drained that sucker!

Glenn

If cold air stays in place, they should be able to pull it off. I'm so bummed with this warm weather! It was 51F at my house at 5:45 this AM. Ugh!

Greg

Staff member
I'd think that it's a safe bet that once they get the temps early next week, that the snow cloud they'll create just may very well show up on the national weather service radar! The biggest question will be how long will it take them to drain Snow Lake and have to temporarily stop making snow for it to refill??

Last years opening snowmaking assault drained that sucker!

Didn't the acquire water rights from Haystack this year too?

bvibert

Staff member

That's what I heard. I wonder if it's plumbed up in such a way that water from Haystack could be used over on that side of the mountain?

drjeff

That's what I heard. I wonder if it's plumbed up in such a way that water from Haystack could be used over on that side of the mountain?

They've had water rights from Haystack since they sold it off a few years ago. What they got this year was the ability to use an EXTRA I believe 18 million gallons(or some amount close to that), over the course of the year that previously just sat in the pond next to the entry for Haystack.

Mount Snow's entire pumping system is connected. If you were to drive down Handle Road (the road that goes from Carinthia to Haystack), there's a big supply pipe burried on the West Side of the road that connects Haystack's water to Mount Snow's system. Then once it gets to Mount Snow, the pump house/ snow making building that's off to the left of the Nitro Quad as you look up at the mountain from the parking lot sends the water up the hill and into the system, and depending on what valves are opened/closed the water can end up on any snowmaking trail on the mountain.

This already existing pipe between Haystack and Mount Snow is a component of what would be the final pipe/pump system for the proposed West Lake project, although the town of Wilmington wants the ability to use some of it for fire hydrant purposes.

Glenn

Good info Jeff! Handle road is fairly long. That must be one heck of a pipe system.

loafer89

The extended forecast is not looking too friendly for constructive snowmaking and I doubt that Mount Snow would be able to open by the 14th.

drjeff

Good info Jeff! Handle road is fairly long. That must be one heck of a pipe system.

Just over 1.5 miles along Handle Road. And if the proposed West lake project is built, they'll be adding another 2 or so miles of pipe