• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Northeast Ski Trivia Thread

loafer89

I know that there were people who hiked up on September 30th of the year in question. There may be September 30th tickets for mountain biking, as there was both skiing and mountain biking going on when I skied there on October 1st 1993.

I have a news article of Killington"s (first) earliest opening day on my wall at home, a date that I missed :cry:

I would be interested to see the ticket though. :eek:

loafer89

I have saved the entire Rutland Herald from October 2nd, 1992 that has a picture of the Upper Cascade Trail on it with the caption:

October Opening
Skiers ride up a chairlift on opening day Thursday at the Killington Ski Area. The resort said it was the earliest opening yet (thanks to man-made snow) for an Eastern ski area.

I would scan the picture (it is really cool) but I do not have a flip top scanner :cry:

I also have an article about a DJ from Rutland who skied (hiked up) on September 30th, 1992 on the Cascade trail. He also hiked up to a snowfield on Superstar on July 3rd, 1993, so he skied every month in Vermont except for August!!!! Wow.

Greg

Staff member
loafer89 said:
I have saved the entire Rutland Herald from October 2nd, 1992 that has a picture of the Upper Cascade Trail on it with the caption:

October Opening
Skiers ride up a chairlift on opening day Thursday at the Killington Ski Area. Thr resort said it was the earliest opening yet (thanks to man-made snow) for an Eastern ski area.
Damn! I almost said 10/2/92, but after viewing your pics from later that month, I thought 1992 couldn't have been the year so I bumped it up to '94. Do I get partial credit for the month and day?

loafer89

Well there earliest opening day was October 1st, 1992 as the newspaper article was from the next morning, but thats close enough :D

I tied the earliest opening date again on October 1st, 1993, as I could not make it up until October 2nd 1992.

My stockholders report for 1993 has really neat pictures of the skiing and a snowmaking test on September 24th, 1992.

loafer89

The reason for the discrepancy about the date of the first May 1st slalom is due to the fact that the 1961-1962 season ENDED on April 30th. This is something that I did NOT know until I read the book just now.

Still a good trivia question :D

loafer89

The reason for the discrepancy about the date of the first May 1st slalom is due to the fact that the 1961-1962 season ENDED on April 30th. This is something that I did NOT know until I read the book just now.

Still a good trivia question :D

awf170

Since no one is answering this question, im going to start another one to kick this thread back up.... Hmmm heres one.... what were the last 5 ski areas to close the year in order in the NE(including canada)

awf170

no one knows or is the thread dead? heres a hint the one that stayed open the longest was killington... i think that helps :lol:

RuffusCorncobb

Easy ones

easy ones so its a 3 parter.

Easy one part 1:
What was it called Before the name was changed to Shawnee Peak

Easy one Part 2
What is the name of the chair lift at Mt Abrams.

Easy one Part 3
Sunday River has several trails named after popular movies. Name 3 of the Movies.