• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Northeast Ski Trivia Thread

Greg

Staff member
Let's use this thread to come up with some Northeast/New England skiing trivia questions. Here are the rules:
  1. Northeast ski trivia only.
  2. Only one active trivia question at a time.
  3. Once it's answered the member that correctly answered it has the option of posting a new question, or forfeiting.
  4. To forfeit, simply reply with "forfeit".
  5. If a turn is forfeited, any member can post the next question.
I'll start:

What is the only Northeast ski area that straddles a state border, with skiable terrain in two states?

loafer89

The really good old days started out with a May 1st Slalom. The June 1st slalom did not come until quite a while longer.

tree_skier

The k-mart website said this was the 44th annual so the math say 62.

What were the original trail names at Maple Valley?

Greg

Staff member
loafer89 said:
What is the month date and year of Killington's earliest opening day ever (lift serviced)?
Hey! You can't answer your own question just to ask another one! tree_skier's Maple Valley question is up, but since you guys overlapped, I'll let this slide and guess:

October 2, 1994

tree_skier

a review of the math.

If this year is the 44th (as Killington says it is then take 1 (for this year) from 44 and subtract that from the current year for the result.

2005 - (44-1) = 1962

as an example if this was the 2nd annual then the first would have been last year or

2005 - (2-1) = 2004

Thus 1961 is incorrect as this would have been the 45th annual.

loafer89

Sorry, I did not think that it was worth waiting for just a one year difference :cry:

Yeah we did overlap our questions.

blacknblue

tree_skier said:
a review of the math.

If this year is the 44th (as Killington says it is then take 1 (for this year) from 44 and subtract that from the current year for the result.

2005 - (44-1) = 1962

as an example if this was the 2nd annual then the first would have been last year or

2005 - (2-1) = 2004

Thus 1961 is incorrect as this would have been the 45th annual.
Unless... they missed a year somewhere in there. Perhaps they took a one-year hiatus?

loafer89

According to my book on Killington, the first May 1st slalom was held on MAY 1, 1961 when the season extended to MAY 8th.

This information comes from Killington "A Story Of Mountains And Men"

loafer89

Sorry I forgot to answer your comment, I was buzy getting my wife to verify the May 1st date from my
skiing books at home :D

Your date is not correct

tree_skier

The killington web site lists a number of oct 1 Years but only goes back to the late 80's. I have a vague recolletion of some september openings before that.

loafer89

A hint is that Killington previous earliest opening date was October 10th, 1979. :) (lift serviced)

Looking back through the record of opening dates to 1970, I see that there are a few October 1st dates, but which one came first?