Nepaug 10/19 - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepaug 10/19

Bummed I missed this ride...

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I was just frustrated since I didn't know Nepaug really at all so if I seemed a bit bent it was just because of that versus wanting to ride with the Crankfire guys who are all well beyond me anyway. Still hooking up with them was cool. All really nice guys. Duffy is an amazing rider. He just seems so comfortable on his bike and rides stuff that I would consider almost impossible if I didn't see him hit it.
    sorry, i shouldnt assume to know what anyone else is thinking. I just kinda feel paranoid being new, dressed like an idiot (nice backpack huh?) and riding a pos bike. those guys must've been like, where the hell did you find this moron. lol, so i was kinda relieved when we went off on our own at first but i thought maybe you guys were feelin the exaxt opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by 2knees View Post
    Jeff and Tim must be dying right now. They rode from 7 till after 12 oclock.
    It weird...after 5 hours of riding my body is not really tired. But my mind is totally spent. Working myself up to take all those hits / drops and the constant adrenaline rush really took a toll. It was also stressful just watching Pat, Duffy, Adam and Aero take some of those big hits.

sorry, i shouldnt assume to know what anyone else is thinking. I just kinda feel paranoid being new, dressed like an idiot (nice backpack huh?) and riding a pos bike. those guys must've been like, where the hell did you find this moron. lol, so i was kinda relieved when we went off on our own at first but i thought maybe you guys were feelin the exaxt opposite.

I think those guys are some of your newest fans. They all knew your were new to the MTB scene and were really impressed with your skillz, balls & lack of common sense. Seriously, if you keep hitting stuff like today on that bike it is just a matter of time before it snaps in half.

Once i got out there things were fine, but in the parking lot, i felt like a fish out of water. I was like, wtf am i doing here.

all those guys were really cool. funny, when people are that good at something, they tend to be one of two ways. Just really mellow or get way too uptight about newbies and just want to rail them. I see it in bump skiing all the time. Some really good skiers but you wouldnt want to spend 5 seconds skiing with them. These CF guys were totally the former, not the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    Here is the CF gps track http://www.crankfire.com/trails/data.php?dataid=506. 10.08 miles, not bad for a morning ride.
    I was going to upload my track, but it's basically just like Jeff's except for the stretch to the northwest which sounded like it was an awesome area. I ended up riding 8.82 miles so not bad considering the head cold.

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    That trail only got better as the ride went on!
    If only you saw the stuff he hit later...insane is the only work for it.
    Hmmm....how about rubbing in the fact that I had to leave a little more??

Once i got out there things were fine, but in the parking lot, i felt like a fish out of water. I was like, wtf am i doing here.

all those guys were really cool. funny, when people are that good at something, they tend to be one of two ways. Just really mellow or get way too uptight about newbies and just want to rail them. I see it in bump skiing all the time. Some really good skiers but you wouldnt want to spend 5 seconds skiing with them. These CF guys were totally the former, not the latter.
    Dude - we've all been there. I think it was my second time riding Nassahegan when Nate (the Crankfire admin) offered to give us a tour. He was real awesome about just hanging back. At one point we got caught up with the rest of the Crankfire guys. I think rueler was there at the time. Anyway, here's toolbox Greg on the side of the trail fiddling with the seat on his $300 bike as they come tearing through. I got caught up in the middle of the pack and felt like a total gaper. At least you have big balls to make up for lack of experience.

I think those guys are some of your newest fans. They all knew your were new to the MTB scene and were really impressed with your skillz, balls & lack of common sense. Seriously, if you keep hitting stuff like today on that bike it is just a matter of time before it snaps in half.
    Yes. Once that bike is killed, you'll need to just invest in a big hit bike, some body armor and a full face. Then you will be on a tear. And you probably won't want to ride with us posers anymore...

It weird...after 5 hours of riding my body is not really tired. But my mind is totally spent. Working myself up to take all those hits / drops and the constant adrenaline rush really took a toll. It was also stressful just watching Pat, Duffy, Adam and Aero take some of those big hits.
    Big props today. I didn't see the gap jumps you tried but you manned up and hit all the ramps on the deli slicer. You almost ate it on the bottom one, but at least you tried it. Must make you feel silly about skipping those ladder drops after the A frame at Nass, huh? You also attacked the ladder over the VW too. Nice! I only tried it after being inspired by you giving it a go so many times.

The verdict I had after today was Nepaug has a lot to offer if you know where to look. The maze of fire road is confusing, but there is a lot of singletrack in there with some craziness if you know where it is. Next time I'm up for stuntry, I'll head to Nepaug. Pat probably thinks Nass is pretty gay now.
    I ski double black diamonds.

When I was an inexperienced rider, Duffy and Adam took me under their wing and really helped me out A LOT... Every time that I ride with them I pick up something new. When I first started riding with them about 5 years ago, I felt like a fish out of water too...that only lasted half of the first ride. Their helpful attitude set me at ease and they showed me what can be possible on a bike...on top of that, they are very encouraging and willing to share their knowledge...riding with them has definitely made me better. As I said in the original post for this ride, you guys are always welcome to ride with me or any group I'm with.

I'd love to show you guys around there another time. I'd def. like Duffy or Adam to be with us though....because as much as I can figure my way out and back, the middle is sort of a choose your own adventure book for me....it get's a little muddled in the middle.

we also missed a really nice section that goes out to the overlook!! There's more insane stuntry, but the crowd pleaser going out there is the epic single track that seems to be mostly downhill or flat twisties for a couple of miles!!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

Big props today. I didn't see the gap jumps you tried but you manned up and hit all the ramps on the deli slicer. You almost ate it on the bottom one, but at least you tried it. Must make you feel silly about skipping those ladder drops after the A frame at Nass, huh? You also attacked the ladder over the VW too. Nice! I only tried it after being inspired by you giving it a go so many times.
    :
    As gaps jumps go it was pretty tame with little risk. It was in the power lines right near the ladder bridge over the VW. When we finished sessioning the VW we rode up a small hill and crossed the power lines. This jump was right there. you actually jump over the trail we rode on to cross the lines. Above the VW up the hill was that insane road gap. Well about 100 feet to the left (looking downhill) was another larger road gap in that power line trail. This is the one that Duffy hit. The smaller one Pat and I hit was down the hill from that one. One thing I didn't get to do was try the VW again. We spent to much time playing on the jumps. I really wanted to clear that stunt in the other direction which is much harder.

Quote Originally Posted by rueler View Post
    Duffy and Adam took me under their wing and really helped me out A LOT...
    Those two are a whole 'nother level of riding. Just effin awesome to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by rueler View Post
    we also missed a really nice section that goes out to the overlook!! There's more insane stuntry, but the crowd pleaser going out there is the epic single track that seems to be mostly downhill or flat twisties for a couple of miles!!
    Man....gotta get back there. I have a whole new appreciation for Nepaug now and didn't even hit the northern end of your ride today.
    I ski double black diamonds.

Thread Information