• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Let's talk Kryptons

powbmps

I just picked up a pair of the Dalbello Intuition liners. I was using a Raichle Thermoflex liner in my Pros. Also put the Booster strap on.

The Intuition meets my shin in a 'V' where the Thermoflex has more padding. Does that look right? I'm interested to see how it affects the on-snow feel.

Last edited:

Philpug

I just picked up a pair of the Dalbello Intuition liners. I was using a Raichle Thermoflex liner in my Pros. Also put the Booster strap on.

The Intuition meets my shin in a 'V' where the Thermoflex has more padding. Does that look right? I'm interested to see how it affects the on-snow feel.

That looks right. The ID liner will be beefier than the old Raichle Thermoflex liner

Greg

Staff member

Weird. My gold intuition liner doesn't have that "V". Totally straight along the top.

powbmps

Weird. My gold intuition liner doesn't have that "V". Totally straight along the top.

I thought maybe it bunched up somewhere, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Greg

Staff member
I thought maybe it bunched up somewhere, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Mine are the ones that came with the '09 Krypton Pro. Maybe yours are a different model year?

powbmps

They've got to be at least a year or two old.

Only used three days though (at least that's what I was told).

o3jeff

picture.php

While it is not the gold liner, mine intuition go straight across, no "v"

deadheadskier

Staff member

mine were last years model and looks to be the same as yours, the V seems less pronounced when in the shell

boot.jpg

powbmps

Good point Phil.

Any input on the max number of reheats?

Greg

Staff member
I rebaked my liners today. I did a 310*F pre-heat on the oven, then turned it off and put it in on a cool backing sheet. The liner blew up like a balloon at around the 5 minute mark. After 8 minutes, I pulled them out and put in my footbed. I cut the end off a thick hiking sock and put my ski sock over that. The liners slipped in easy enough and immediately the boots felt a million times better. I used these instructions as an overall guide:

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/article_info.php?articles_id=3

deadheadskier

Staff member
the overlap of your liner is incorrect, should be inside-in, not outside-in.

:oops:

When I was fitting them with eastcoastpowderhound we took them out then got to talking and the overlap was spread out. I had completely forgotten which way they went and just went with the way they're pictured.

Skied them that way today too and they worked fine. I was looking forward to commenting in this thread how precise they seemed to ski in the limited conditions / terrain I had to work with. :lol:

I'll give a full report after I ski them the right way. :lol: Good news is that it doesn't appear that I'll need to re-mold them as they switched to the right overlap without issue.

Philpug

I rebaked my liners today. I did a 310*F pre-heat on the oven, then turned it off and put it in on a cool backing sheet. The liner blew up like a balloon at around the 5 minute mark. After 8 minutes, I pulled them out and put in my footbed. I cut the end off a thick hiking sock and put my ski sock over that. The liners slipped in easy enough and immediately the boots felt a million times better. I used these instructions as an overall guide:

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/article_info.php?articles_id=3
ID liners are designed to be heated from the inside, not in a confection or traditional oven. Older Thermoflex liners were designed to do that, these are not. This will severely reduce life.

Greg

Staff member
ID liners are designed to be heated from the inside, not in a confection or traditional oven. Older Thermoflex liners were designed to do that, these are not. This will severely reduce life.

Whoops. :oops: Wearing them now and they feel fine so I'm not too concerned. I still have a bit of pressure on both tibia ankle bones, but overall they feel better. Why would the heating process be different? They're both just EVA foam, no? Why does the oven heating reduce life?

Philpug

Whoops. :oops: Wearing them now and they feel fine so I'm not too concerned. I still have a bit of pressure on both tibia ankle bones, but overall they feel better. Why would the heating process be different? They're both just EVA foam, no? Why does the oven heating reduce life?

It has more to do with how they are put together and the glues that are used than the actual foam.

o3jeff

Finally got out to try the Kryptons out. Seemed to fit really good and only had one problem, the ball on my tibia rubbed a little and got the skin a little raw. Not sure if it was the boots fault or mine cause when it happened we just finished an ungroomed trail with a bunch of crud and whales and I know I was in the backseat going down. I tightened up the boot afterwards but the damage was already done.

So far I like them, but let me get some more days in them.

skidmarks

Finally got out to try the Kryptons out. Seemed to fit really good and only had one problem, the ball on my tibia rubbed a little and got the skin a little raw. Not sure if it was the boots fault or mine cause when it happened we just finished an ungroomed trail with a bunch of crud and whales and I know I was in the backseat going down. I tightened up the boot afterwards but the damage was already done.

So far I like them, but let me get some more days in them.

Please don't do the at home easy bake. If it's your inside ankle bone we should look at those foot beds again and go from there. A little grind or push out may be in order too.