• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Let's talk Kryptons

Trekchick

Trekchick

I love my new Kryptons with all my Hart :)

n830505017_4583269_248.jpg

Greg

Staff member
:lol:

Alright, Krypton converts... so tell me. Are these boots so freakin wonderful that I should stop agonizing about the Beasts boo-boo and find a way to get myself a pair of those Storms? Or can I live with myself trying to make the Beasts work until I feel that I've gotten enough use out of them to justify the hit I'd take in trying to resell them? ;)

Yeah, I think I know where that question is going....

Get over the Krypton thing and just ski the Beasts (a great boot as I understand it). Put the money towards an extra lift ticket or two. In other words, shaddup and ski. :razz:

madskier6

So is anyone at Sundown not going to be in Dalbellos this year?

I'll be at Sundown some this year & I will be in Nordica Speedmachine 10s. I love those boots! Then again, I've never tried Dalbellos so maybe next time. I like the feel of Nordicas however.

awf170

:lol:

Alright, Krypton converts... so tell me. Are these boots so freakin wonderful that I should stop agonizing about the Beasts boo-boo and find a way to get myself a pair of those Storms? Or can I live with myself trying to make the Beasts work until I feel that I've gotten enough use out of them to justify the hit I'd take in trying to resell them? ;)

Yeah, I think I know where that question is going....

Honestly, unless you're a wicked serious skier this kind of stuff isn't really going to make a difference. As long as these beasts fit decently, it won't be that big of a deal. IMO, equipment doesn't make that much of a difference unless you're at a competitive level. Spend the money on a baby sitter, gas, and a ticket instead of boots.

(This is coming from someone who never waxes or tunes his skis, has skied with multiply core shots, uses flimsy alpine touring binding, and the softest supposedly terribly skiing AT boots.)

So yeah, maybe I just don't know any better.

Greg

Staff member
Honestly, unless you're a wicked serious skier this kind of stuff isn't really going to make a difference. As long as these beasts fit decently, it won't be that big of a deal. IMO, equipment doesn't make that much of a difference unless you're at a competitive level. Spend the money on a baby sitter, gas, and a ticket instead of boots.

(This is coming from someone who never waxes or tunes his skis, has skied with multiply core shots, uses flimsy alpine touring binding, and the softest supposedly terribly skiing AT boots.)

So yeah, maybe I just don't know any better.

+1

As what, a 2 or 3 year skier, you're not going to be able to discern between the latest and greatest equipment. It seems to me you're pretty well set up with very good equipment, Carrie, certainly not stuff that is going to be a hindrance. At your level, ski time is going to bring you further along than any subtle tweaks you make to equipment. The money is better spent elsewhere.

Philpug

Just saying.....Maybe I'm lucky but I've never had a problem getting a boot that fits and is comfortable all day. My only problem has been older boots exploding and forcing me to go buy new ones. After that I don't give them another thought....
I was in 2 boots for the past 25 or so years...Flexons and Kryptons. If Something works you stick with it.

You were in the same Flexons for 20 years? Yep. Replaced the shells 5 times and the liners 6 times, but they were the same Flexons.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
You guys make excellent points. The only concern I have is the amount of time I've had foot pain issues in the past. The fit on the Beasts is not great... it was just the best of what I was told would work for my foot (and requires some definite tweaking). The Storms felt pretty close to perfect even without the liner being molded. Happy feet make a huge difference. My last day skiing on the East coast last season, I only took 3 runs (in the Beasts, mind you) and actually had to get out of my skis and sit in the woods halfway down one run because I was in so much pain. Granted, that was with the footbeds that were made incorrectly (and so my feet were placed at a bad angle in the boot). But that worries me a lot. I hate to spend money tweaking these boots if they're not right for my feet is all.

I'm not in a position to be throwing money away, which is why it kills me to even think about it right now. It's a weighing of pros and cons...the biggest con on my mind right now being time and money spent tweaking this boot with the knowledge that even though I was fitted to it, it's not as good of a fit as the Storm.

I'm leaning toward making the best of it for now and re-evaluating the situation later on in the season. Might as well try to make the best of the situation. Thanks, guys!

Greg

Staff member
You guys make excellent points. The only concern I have is the amount of time I've had foot pain issues in the past. The fit on the Beasts is not great... it was just the best of what I was told would work for my foot (and requires some definite tweaking). The Storms felt pretty close to perfect even without the liner being molded. Happy feet make a huge difference. My last day skiing on the East coast last season, I only took 3 runs (in the Beasts, mind you) and actually had to get out of my skis and sit in the woods halfway down one run because I was in so much pain. Granted, that was with the footbeds that were made incorrectly (and so my feet were placed at a bad angle in the boot). But that worries me a lot. I hate to spend money tweaking these boots if they're not right for my feet is all.

I'm not in a position to be throwing money away, which is why it kills me to even think about it right now. It's a weighing of pros and cons...the biggest con on my mind right now being time and money spent tweaking this boot with the knowledge that even though I was fitted to it, it's not as good of a fit as the Storm.

I'm leaning toward making the best of it for now and re-evaluating the situation later on in the season. Might as well try to make the best of the situation. Thanks, guys!

It seems like you've already got it in your head that the Beasts are going to be a struggle for you, despite you getting them worked on and feeling better over the summer. Answer me this - were you looking forward to trying the Beast this season before this thread was started? If so, roll with it and give them a fair evaluation before determining they are not right for you.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
It seems like you've already got it in your head that the Beasts are going to be a struggle for you, despite you getting them worked on and feeling better over the summer. Answer me this - were you looking forward to trying the Beast this season before this thread was started? If so, roll with it and give them a fair evaluation before determining they are not right for you.
Given my past experience with them, no. Once I had new footbeds made properly, I was a little more hopeful. But still nervous about them being the wrong boot for me. I kept looking for validation from pros that they were right for me because I wasn't sure if they were. They were the best of what was offered to me as appropriate for my feet and skill level, so that's why I chose them. They're also 1 shell size smaller than what I skied in before, so adjusting to that may be part of the problem: performance vs recreational fit, KWIM?. But they dig into my feet and ankles so there definitely is some work needed; the Storms don't do that.

I hate boots. They're the worst part of skiing. :( Once I get this all figured out, I swear, I'm not buying boots again until mine explode or something...

I will give the Beasts a shot. And I guess if they don't work out, at least I know there is a better option out there.

Trekchick

Carrie, if you can make the Beast work for you, then do it. Remember what Volklgirl and I said to you at Abasin when we were fixing up your old boots? Ski Boots Don't have to be painful!
There is only one person who can decided what your foot feels like.
You're a smart girl. :)

Greg

Staff member
First day yesterday on the Kryptons. It was a little rough. I think I figured out my biggest problem was too thick a sock. I picked up some Smartwool ultralights today and the boots feel much better. I also pulled out the insert on the back of the cuff. That was causing a lot of pain along my Achilles tendon. I still have the 8mm wedge in place though. Does anyone know if it's not good to have the 8mm wedge in place with no corresponding rear insert? I think the boot comes shipped with the 4 mm edge installed and no insert so I'd assume the 8 mm is okay. I'd rather have more forward lean then less. Any thoughts?

o3jeff

I wouldn't start throwing too many changes at once at it cause then you won't know what might of fixed it or made it worst. Also smart move with getting thin socks.

I'm heading up to Hunter tomorrow which will be my fist time out with the Kryptons, hopefully the fit will be good for me.

powbmps

I've been using the 8mm wedge with no insert (and no problems). I believe the wedge gives you the forward lean and the insert makes the boot stiffer in the forward direction.

Greg

Staff member
I wouldn't start throwing too many changes at once at it cause then you won't know what might of fixed it or made it worst.

You're probably right, but I do have them feeling better just sitting around the house at least. A tough day to evaluate really since I probably still have some sore spots from yesterday.

I've been using the 8mm wedge with no insert (and no problems). I believe the wedge gives you the forward lean and the insert makes the boot stiffer in the forward direction.

This is how I have them set up. I'll roll with it like this for a bit and see.