• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke Mountain, VT Sunset HIke: 06/01/05

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
the morning dawned not very different than any other may morning despite the calandar having changed over. stepping outside to a cloudy and glooming morning yet again, i had thoughts of paying catamount arts my first visit for a movie after work. sometime around 1pm, someone asked me if i was planning on enjoying the beautiful day outside. before i could mumble a response asking what the guy was talking about, i turned around and looked out the window to see bright blue skies and an inviting late spring air. while looking out that same window, burke mountain caught my eye and my evening plans were sealed.

after catching a bite to eat at home and packing, i grabbed my gear and hit the road around 6:45pm with plenty of sunshine still left. by quarter past 7, i was parked outside the gate at the mid-burke lodge. i decided to make my way straight up the steepest ski trails for a quick ascent and big work out. my adjustable ski touring poles were helpful for the ascent.

starting out, i noted to myself the interesting complete lack of bugs. but 1/4 the way up, the bugs began buzzing me but nothing serious. by 1/2 way up, the bugs were swarming around my head and dive bombing me, but not biting. needless to say, the ascent was quicker and less enjoyable than planned. however, 200 verts below the summit, the breeze finally picked up and the bugs relented.

i shakily ascended the huge look out tower on the summit. not normally affraid of heights, the narrow windy stair case rose straight up about 50 feet leading me to grasp both railings when in motion. the top shack was closed as the trap door would not budge. i was just in time for the show. however, the utility tower next to the look out tower was in direct view of the sunset. not to mention, the buzzing sound of the generator was annoying and i felt like all sorts of weird unseen rays were invading my body just being within proximatey of the thing (obvious no danger to myself, but standing right next to one of those cell towers is weeeeeird).

i down climbed and headed back to the top of the quad which afforded me a much better view without obstruction. again, arriving just in time to see the sun duck down on the horizon. the only cloud in the sky was over the set sun, still emitting rays from behind the mountain range. as the stars started making their appearence, i began my descent while some light still remained. i had my head lamp and flash light at the ready in my pack, but finished with just enough light to not need them. near the bottom of my descent, while walking close to the woods i heard lots of rustling in the woods which startled me! sounded like a big animal causing a stir. probably just warning me of their pressence or talking off in the opposite direction, but leaves you wondering just how close you walk to those creatures that rule our playgrounds of the spirit.

rustling sounds aside, spotted a very large rabbit near the summit and a blue jay (my favorite bird) on willoughby. a fantastic evening hike!

plenty of pictures
:beer:

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Thanks for yet another great report with great pictures of one of my favorite mountains.

You must be loving it living in the North Country! I wish now that I had made the move when I had the job offer a couple years ago.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yep, the bugs can be attrocious up there. I did a sunset hike in June 2003 for my B-Day, carbon copy of what you did...up Warren's to avoid the bugs :x but they still got me.

Down East Bowl...muddy and wet...some moose tracks and deer tracks. I'm surprised that the firetower was shut.

When you get a chance and want some more good hikes in the NEK, PM me, OK riverc0il? :wink: