"Cup" Messages on Overpasses???

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"Cup" Messages on Overpasses???

I was driving home last night from Worcester on Route 2 when we came upon another message on a highway overpass spelled out with cups on the chainlink fence. You know, the ones that say, "I love you Jim," or something like that? I've only seen this phenomenon on I-93, Route 3, and Route 2 in Eastern MA and it seems to end around Manchester or so.

OK, I could not find a picture of this 'artwork,' but here is an article from the Eagle Tribune newspaper in Salem, MA

Overpass art is nothing to worry about
    There is growing concern that a new form of self-expression is dangerous and needs to be controlled. We're talking about messages on highway overpasses spelled out in plastic cups or written on bedsheets stuck to chain-link fencing.
    Messages are appearing everywhere -- birthday greetings, professions of love, support for our troops. And, as we do with most enthusiasm, people may be going a little overboard.
    The concern expressed by state police and highway officials is that drivers on the highways below may be distracted by the messages and cause accidents. We don't know of a single accident that can be attributed unquestionably to a highway sign. And if we want laws limiting everything that could conceivably, somehow cause injury to someone somewhere, well, we're going to have a lot more laws on the books.
    This new highway art doesn't seem to be much to worry about. In fact, we loved the patriotic messages and flags that appeared everywhere after Sept. 11, 2001. They were evidence of a brief moment of national unity before we all split again into angry factionalism.
    As with any form of expression, reasonable limits are needed. Old, weather-beaten messages should be removed -- preferably by the people who placed them there. Those who put up the messages should take care that they do not become a source of litter. And tasteless or offensive material should be removed immediately.
    We're fairly certain that, left alone, the practice of messages on overpasses will fade away soon enough. It is the fate of all fads.
    So does some have an explanation of why this fade is so big in Eastern MA? Is there something I'm missing? AWF? riverc0il? Do you Merrimack Valley natives have any explanations?
    Live, Ski, or Die!

It's a redneck thing. Yes, there are rednecks in the north.

Still, can't touch the "Chicken Farmer- I Still Love You!" on the rock near Sunapee.
    "The trouble with internet quotations is that they're often impossible to verify."
    -Aristotle

flyingfree
    I see them all the time on I95..NH, MA, Everette Turnpike, NH and on down to NJ.

I think they are interesting.

As far as distracting people, well I don't see how these signs can be any worse than the following activities I've witnessed in cars:

The people who are on their cell phones, weaving in and out of traffic because they are LATE (probably due to a Duncun Donuts line) while shaving/putting on makeup and eating said donut, carefully balancing the liabellous cup of boiling, hot coffee on the dashboard as they watch the 115th replay of Little Mermaid on the "on board" TV, while supervising a fight between two kids who are also tired of the 115 replay of Little Mermaid...ooppps brake lights ahead, 4 lanes to 1 due to bridge painting or road paving.....

Hey.....What did that sign with all the cups say?????

Can't be any worse than the official info message boards flashing out not anything important, just repeating to "buckle up"...
    Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face. - Dave Barry
    Waterville 11/30; Loon 12/7; Cannon 12/13, 1/17, 2/23; Sugarloaf 12/20, 21-22; Bretton Woods 1/3; Jay Peak 1/24-25; Heavenly 2/9; Squaw Valley 2/10-2/11; Wachusett 3/3; Sunday River 3/7-8

flyingfree
    Or "give them a brake"

Quote Originally Posted by ctenidae
    It's a redneck thing. Yes, there are rednecks in the north.

Still, can't touch the "Chicken Farmer- I Still Love You!" on the rock near Sunapee.
    I don't see these signs north of Manchester though...wondering why it is only in SNH or in Mass?
    Live, Ski, or Die!

"wondering why it is only in SNH or in Mass?"

That's easy- once you get past 89, they're not rednecks anymore- they're hillbillies.
    "The trouble with internet quotations is that they're often impossible to verify."
    -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by ctenidae
    "wondering why it is only in SNH or in Mass?"

That's easy- once you get past 89, they're not rednecks anymore- they're hillbillies.

Well, apparently they have better things to do than hang around overpasses.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

i have never seen any from nj to vt!

the best thing is people who weave in and out of traffic and dont get anywhere... i also love when people who gas it then slam the brakes in bumper to bumper traffic(i love that scene in Office Space

Anyway about the cups i have no idea, i have seen them a lot though...
    I bet BJ's and costco like this large demand for hundreds of cups though

Thread Information