• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown Bump or Bust I - 1/24/09

Madroch

Definite maybe....I have a scheduling conflict at the moment that must be resolved.

Last edited:

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
ATT: Alpine Zone.
RE: Jan Bump Comp

offical requests can be made now for the January comp.

Format -

Judging -

Time -

Entry Fee vs Prizes - (more fee, more prizes)

music on PA -

Jump Style / Size -

I'd say, if my vote counted.... that the first run is singles - based on style, and that sets a bracket system for the duel / head to head rounds, which is more speed based - head to head, winner advances untill....we get to the top 10% of the winners from head to head and we do another singles run where the jump gets weighed more, and then crown winners... ( I see this taking some of the pressure off of those who are slower (greg) and those whose feet perfer to remain on the ground (bvibert)) while still leaving pleanty of competitiveness to warrent the inline trash talk extravaganza that is AZ

I'd still like 2 judges, working percentages / points depending on the round

Event start at 1pm to offer the best light and snow quality

Cost about 10 bucks or less to enter and get a shop involved to get some swag. Behind the scenes - winner gets beer bought by the losers...

DJ Sirius Satlite on some sort of rock station

Jumps made similar to last season, except i'll try to get a better flater in run to allow for more set up time, as well as make float and pop options for each of the competition lines.

MR. evil

Seeing how I am going to be at the very bottom of the standing the judging format does not matter that much too me. But I do have a couple of suggestions

1. It would be great if you guys could build a practice kicker at the bottom of temptor on the flat after the bumps. Something similar to the ones you built at the temptor / exhibition merge last year (the ones the didn't get used in the comp)

2. I was thinking that it might make sense to put the kickers for the actual comp at the bottom of the course rather than in the middle. The bumps are a bit shorter this year, last year they were the entire flat at the bottom of temptor. If you wipe out several rows of bumps to build a kicker and landing area that may make the actual course kind of short. The flip side is if the kicker is at the bottom around where the bumps currently end, the course may be too long.

powhunter

ATT: Alpine Zone.
RE: Jan Bump Comp

offical requests can be made now for the January comp.

Format -

Judging -

Time -

music on PA -

Jump Style / Size -

I'd say, if my vote counted.... that the first run is singles - based on style, and that sets a bracket system for the duel / head to head rounds, which is more speed based - head to head, winner advances untill....we get to the top 10% of the winners from head to head and we do another singles run where the jump gets weighed more, and then crown winners... ( I see this taking some of the pressure off of those who are slower (greg) and those whose feet perfer to remain on the ground (bvibert)) while still leaving pleanty of competitiveness to warrent the inline trash talk extravaganza that is AZ

Cost about 10 bucks or less to enter and get a shop involved to get some swag. Behind the scenes - winner gets beer bought by the losers...

Jumps made similar to last season, except i'll try to get a better flater in run to allow for more set up time, as well as make float and pop options for each of the competition lines.

This year the skier with the sickest crash should get a case of beer or something....also I vote for some sick heavy metal to rock out too...also all telemarketers should be banned

steveo

powhunter

My predictions!

I will crash, but it will be spectacular

Top Contenders

2knees
mr.magic
mondeo
downhill04
jonnypoach

(of course if powbumps shows up hell take it hands down)

mondeo

I sorta like the idea of doing the January comp as a singles event, best of 2 qualifying and top 10 advance to finals, and then the March comp as a duals format. Jumps I'd like to see more of a kicker than what we had last year. Maybe $5 entrance for January then $15 for March? January as the prelude to the big event?

Placement of the jump was good last year, though. Don't need any more flat area before or after (especially after if they're going to have more pop.) Want them on the steeper part of the course to make the landings easier.

It would be cool if, for a singles format, people could preregister and choose songs. Don't know how that would work. Rock otherwise, though.

Greg

Staff member

I think this all sounds great. Be sure to paint a finish line too! :-o I think the jump should be in the middle of the run like last year. Part of the demonstration of skill should include hitting the first set of bumps, taking air, recovering and then getting back into a bump line. A bit more pop to the jump, even if they are smaller would be good. The landing area/pitch was perfect last year. I think you'll need to be prepared to have guys that can maintain the landing area, i.e. break it up as it gets packed down unless it's an unusually warm day.

Top Contenders

2knees
mr.magic
mondeo
downhill04
jonnypoach

As far as AZers go, I agree it is these five whose comp it is to lose...

2knees

i might be able to get our company involved in the prize thing. i mentioned this earlier and it was recieved well but things got so crazy with the economy i was hesitant to push further. If you guys want, i can bring it up again with our marketing director regarding prizes. she's a die hard skier herself who owns property at killington.

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
i might be able to get our company involved in the prize thing. i mentioned this earlier and it was recieved well but things got so crazy with the economy i was hesitant to push further. If you guys want, i can bring it up again with our marketing director regarding prizes. she's a die hard skier herself who owns property at killington.

what's the company?

I'm willing to work with most businesses... except computer tech types like this greg character i hear about....

gmcunni

2 cents from a guy who didn't participate last year and who's goal this year is not to come in last.

$10 fee to enter is fair. would pay a little more if i get a "bump or bust" t-shirt (perhaps anyone who pre-registers gets a shirt? it would be hard to have right # on hand for walk ups). i have no hope of winning so if you had non-winner prizes it might keep it fun for more people.

no fee for kids division

is there a viewing area on the trail? can spectators (or racers who are out) hike up and watch? might be nice for friends and family to see what is going on. view of temptor from the base isn't great.

bump up (no pun intended) the price and include a post-race BBQ on the deck of the base lodge, spectators + families can purchase tickets for BBQ too. have the award ceremony at the bbq.

i have no input on course or jumps. i did ski temptor last year the weekend after the comp and the kickers were gone but you could get a feel for how the course was. fwiw, seemed pretty good to me.

Greg

Staff member
a bracket system for the duel / head to head rounds...

Not sure what the plan is for Temptor the next three weeks, but duels might be tough to pull off. There really isn't one top to bottom consistent line, not to mention two. In fact the lines waiver around so much, the competitors might end up on the same one! :-o Might make for an interesting demolition derby style event. :lol: If the plan is to reseed Temptor prior to the event (might also provide a means to more easily set up a jump/landing zone), then duels would be fine.

Coming up quick. Only three weeks from this Saturday.

Greg

Staff member
2 weeks from Saturday. Temptor gets reseeded tonight.

Roll call:

2knees
bvibert
mondeo
Greg
MR.evil
Grassi21
madskier6
madskier6's son Kevin
gmcunni
downhill04

Who else? Steve-O said he's unfortunately out on this one. :( Not going to be the same without a glorious powhunter wreck...

powhunter

2 weeks from Saturday. Temptor gets reseeded tonight.

Roll call:

2knees
bvibert
mondeo
Greg
MR.evil
Grassi21
madskier6
madskier6's son Kevin
gmcunni
downhill04

Who else? Steve-O said he's unfortunately out on this one. :( Not going to be the same without a glorious powhunter wreck...

yea it was either the Kmart mogul camp or this...decided on going to the mogul camp.....Hopefully Ill have a good crash in the march comp for ya!!

steveo

2knees

yea it was either the Kmart mogul camp or this...decided on going to the mogul camp.....Hopefully Ill have a good crash in the march comp for ya!!

steveo

damn i thought you said the mogul camp was the 17th to the 18th? this is devastating news steve.

anyway, i'll be at killington sunday night the 24th. hang around for monday and show me what you learned.

Greg

Staff member
still in but scared... thought i'd have lots more bump practice under my belt at this point
:(

Scared? Come on, Gary, it's all just for fun. It really was a cool vibe last year.

gmcunni

Scared? Come on, Gary, it's all just for fun. It really was a cool vibe last year.

yes, i know, just for fun. but i've never done one of these before (never even ran nastar) so i'm anxious (better word than scared). when i get into compeditive situations (yes, again iknow, this is for fun, not compeditive) i tend to get agressive and do stupid things. i broke my collar bone playing mens 35+ and over softball because i tell myself before every pitch "if the ball comes to me i will dive for it" :)

i should ski at least twice before the comp, hopefully the bumps will be reseeded and good so i can get some practice time in.

2knees

i broke my collar bone playing mens 35+ and over softball because i tell myself before every pitch "if the ball comes to me i will dive for it" :)

:lol: i got hauled away on a stretcher in my softball league this year.

seriously though, i find that kind of team sport thing far more competitive and nerve wracking then something like this bump comp. I had some nerves last year but they went away real quick.

powhunter

damn i thought you said the mogul camp was the 17th to the 18th? this is devastating news steve.

anyway, i'll be at killington sunday night the 24th. hang around for monday and show me what you learned.

it is the 17-18 but I could only take 1 weekend off this month...hopefuly it is a good camp never had any coaching or a lesson before...If it is a good camp, there are 2 others this year one in feb and one in march that you guys should consider

steveo

powhunter

yes, i know, just for fun. but i've never done one of these before (never even ran nastar) so i'm anxious (better word than scared). when i get into compeditive situations (yes, again iknow, this is for fun, not compeditive) i tend to get agressive and do stupid things. i broke my collar bone playing mens 35+ and over softball because i tell myself before every pitch "if the ball comes to me i will dive for it" :)

i should ski at least twice before the comp, hopefully the bumps will be reseeded and good so i can get some practice time in.

Its all about having fun...Totally laid back atmosphere.....Plus your a damn good skier....go for it

steveo