• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kelty Kid Carriers

Greg

Staff member
Just an FYI. I noticed this weekend Costco has the Kelty Back Country for $89 which is a steal. Just thought I'd mentioned it in case anyone is interested.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
To be honest, I didn't look at the year on the dates of these messages at first and I was confused as to how you had photos of you and your daughter in the Kelty hiking if you hadn't purchased it yet! :oops: Good thing I came back with fresh mind and reread it...

So, you've been using it for a year now, Greg. Still happy?

Greg

Staff member
severine said:
So, you've been using it for a year now, Greg. Still happy?
Oh yes, and Abby loves it too. It's well-built and pretty comfortable for me and her (I assume as she often falls asleep in it). She's very light for her age (probably less than 25 lbs.) so she's still easy to carry around. I hope to get another year at least out of it. It's supposed to be able to hold a 45 lb. child so at the rate she's going, I may be schlepping her around until 1st grade... ;)

Most recent outing

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Hey Greg! Long time, no see...

I'm revisiting this because we got the Ridgeline model of the Kelty child carriers for Christmas from my mother-in-law and since I haven't seen it side by side with the Backcountry, I was wondering if you knew if there was any difference between the 2 (other than the sun/rain hood, which I ordered through backcountry.com over the weekend for $20)? It seems you did some research on this before you made your purchase. Also, how old was Abby when you first used it?

In case you haven't figured it out by now, I haven't been on here lately because I'm pregnant...no skiing for me this winter. :( We were planning ahead and had asked for the Kelty child carrier, but weren't expecting to receive it so soon! The baby isn't due until late June, so it probably will be fall before we even are able to use it. But any pointers or insight you can offer would be most appreciated when that time comes! :D

Greg

Staff member
severine said:
Hey Greg! Long time, no see...

I'm revisiting this because we got the Ridgeline model of the Kelty child carriers for Christmas from my mother-in-law and since I haven't seen it side by side with the Backcountry, I was wondering if you knew if there was any difference between the 2 (other than the sun/rain hood, which I ordered through backcountry.com over the weekend for $20)? It seems you did some research on this before you made your purchase. Also, how old was Abby when you first used it?

In case you haven't figured it out by now, I haven't been on here lately because I'm pregnant...no skiing for me this winter. :( We were planning ahead and had asked for the Kelty child carrier, but weren't expecting to receive it so soon! The baby isn't due until late June, so it probably will be fall before we even are able to use it. But any pointers or insight you can offer would be most appreciated when that time comes! :D
First of all congrats! I don't think the models vary much other than the sun/rain hood. I would refer you to Kelty's Web site, but it looks like both the Ridgeline and Backcountry models are discontinued. It's possible the Backcountry had a slightly larger storage capacity.

Your baby will need to be able to keeps its head up so you may not get much use out of it next year. I started taking Abby in it at 9 months, but I suppose you could at 6 months (which will be next December for you) if it's warm enough. Abby still loves it and luckily she's light enough that I'll probably still get some use out of it next year! 8)

Here's a pic of us from late September.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Greg said:
Your baby will need to be able to keeps its head up so you may not get much use out of it next year. I started taking Abby in it at 9 months, but I suppose you could at 6 months (which will be next December for you) if it's warm enough.

If next December is anything like this one, it probably will be warm enough! LOL!! Abby looks like she was enjoying herself! Did you also buy the bug netting? There are so many accessories and I don't want to spend $$$ on something that isn't really necessary, especially since the netting is $40. But with the models being changed out for 2005, I have to snatch up whatever I can now before it can't be found anymore.

Thanks again! This is all new to me, but we're looking forward to introducing the little one to our favorite pasttimes. :D

Greg

Staff member
No, I never bought the bug netting, and haven't even used the hood yet...

C

Caleb

Another choice for infants is a 'front carrier' like Baby Bjorn. Up until my kids were 1+ year old they practically lived in it I liked it for these reasons:

1. easy to monitor and respond to child..
2. one snap convenience for baby in/out
3. the snaps adjusted to support infants head
4. baby can be positioned facing in or out depending on sleep/weather etc.
5. soothing positioning for baby.... baby is positioned at all times in a natural cradle/hug.

When the youngest was 1.5 year old we bought a llbean carrier but didn't get nearly as much use out of it as i thought we would. We basically had two very young kids at the same time, so we wound up not going on extended hikes until the youngest was 5. good luck. Caleb

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Caleb - I already am planning on getting a sling carrier for the baby at home, but we wanted something a little sturdier and more protective for the baby for hiking. I do think front carriers are invaluable but it wasn't my first choice for hiking.
Thanks for the input!

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
severine said:
Caleb - I already am planning on getting a sling carrier for the baby at home, but we wanted something a little sturdier and more protective for the baby for hiking. I do think front carriers are invaluable but it wasn't my first choice for hiking.
Thanks for the input!

I've heard a lot of people comment that the front sling keeps you from seeing where your foot placement is while hiking. I can't verify this as I never used one, but I do own the Kelty Base Camp and have been very pleased with it. Our son was born in July so I couldn't take him out until the following spring, at about 9 months. It took a few short walks around the block for him to get used to sitting behind me and to get everything adjusted. After the third time in it, he didn't want to come out! He's 2 1/2 now, but at only 27 pounds I'll be able to carry him at least another season, if he wants.

I bought the sun/rain hood but only used it once. I also bought the diaper day pack and the stirrups. The day pack is nice as it zips in place of the smaller bag that comes with the pack and you can get all of the diapers and food you'll need for a dayhike in there. The problem is it puts quite a bit of weight hanging far behind you which tends to make the pack pull harder on my neck and shoulders. The stirrups were nice, but didn't really strap around my boy's canvas shoes at 1 year old. If you'll be hiking solo, let me recommend a small pocket mirror so that you can check on your co-pilot without having to strain your neck to get a peek.

Congrats and good luck!
Smitty

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Thanks, Smitty! We ended up finding the bug netting on clearance at EMS for $30 and splurged for it, plus the stirrups online for about $7. I guess we have all the accessories now anyway. ;) Well, except the extra zip on pack. I figured that might be a bit too much weight. I'm a klutz so it will be Brian who will be using it mainly, but I'm glad to hear there are other happy users out there! Sounds like we'll have to wait another year before we'll get any use out of it, but I'm glad we have it. :D

Greg

Staff member
Well, here I am a short 2 3/4 years later and tonight I took my six month old around the neighborhood in the Kelty pack! She really seemed to love it and had no problem during the initial strap-in period like Abby did. Livie is built like an oxe (compared to Abby) so I'm able to get her started in this a bit earlier. It makes me a liitle sad to see Abby growing up so quick (a soon to be skier this season) but it's also cool to be able to start taking Livie out on some short excursions. The first will likely be as soon as Sunday! Kids are cool.

Mike P.

We're probably bringing our Kelty to NH next weekend,likely for the last time. Not even sure we will use it. Kristina at 6 1/4 has been out of it a long time & her three year old brother should be too, but if he gets tired....

kickstand

thanks for resurrecting this thread. We're 13+ weeks along with twins - TWINS! - and have started looking into gear for us and the babies. While kid-carrying backpacks are quite a ways off, it doesn't hurt to see what people are saying about the products.

And I know this one is a long-shot, but there isn't a company that makes a pack that holds twins, is there? Doesn't seem like it would be very practical - or safe, for that matter.

Greg

Staff member
kickstand said:
thanks for resurrecting this thread. We're 13+ weeks along with twins - TWINS! - and have started looking into gear for us and the babies. While kid-carrying backpacks are quite a ways off, it doesn't hurt to see what people are saying about the products.

And I know this one is a long-shot, but there isn't a company that makes a pack that holds twins, is there? Doesn't seem like it would be very practical - or safe, for that matter.
Not that I've seen. Probably better off with two - one for mom, one for dad. Twins?! :blink: Congrats and have fun! :lol:

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
I suppose you could theoretically carry two when they are young, but once they're over 1 I would think it would be a lot less fun. Add in all of the stuff they need during the day (diapers, food, clothes) and you'll be carrying two kids while the wife is carrying 30+ lbs of gear. Might as well get the two carriers. :)

ga2ski

Hey Kicky - Congrats!!!!

Took my two plus month old son out in my Kelty Journey carrier tonight, just around the neighbor, but he definitely is still too small. I guess i should have read the website where it said the carriers are rated for 16 -45 lb kids. Zach is still only 13 lbs or so. Guess I'll be hiking this week with his Kelty Kangaroo (the front bjorn type carrier). The good thing is he loves both Kangaroo and the Journey. He sleeps in both actually.

Grassi21

Woo hoo! Those baby registry things really work. I was hoping that someone would purchase this for us so we wouldn't have to cough up the coin. Looking forward to trying this bad boy out when the little one is strong enough to go for a ride.

23360088_6454691_full.jpg

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
That's a sweet ride Grassi. I wish mine had the load-lifting shoulder straps. At times, mine can be a little "unrefined" in the load carrying department. A friend of mine bought a Deuter pack for their little girl and they love it.

Grassi21

That's a sweet ride Grassi. I wish mine had the load-lifting shoulder straps. At times, mine can be a little "unrefined" in the load carrying department. A friend of mine bought a Deuter pack for their little girl and they love it.

Much like wearing my ski boots around the house in the off season, I put the pack on the day it was gifted to us and strutted around the house. The baby is due July 21. I tried one of the Deuter ones on the other day. Both had a good feel to them. The thing that I noticed and liked about the Pathfinder is that the child sits a bit higher and it should improve the kids view.