• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown opening - Friday, 11/28/08

Greg

Staff member
What the hell. Maybe this is bad mojo, but I don't believe in that crap anyway.

http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2008/11/13/news/379542.txt

This year promises to be more of a challenge given the economy, operators said. Ski Sundown in New Hartford, which is expected to open Nov. 28 depending on the weather, has been selling season passes and other programs at a rate equal to, if not above, last year, said Dotty Craig, marketing director.

I doubt I'll make it over during the day, but I probably will be able to score a few hours at night if they open. Anyone else down?

2knees

What the hell. Maybe this is bad mojo, but I don't believe in that crap anyway.

http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2008/11/13/news/379542.txt

I doubt I'll make it over during the day, but I probably will be able to score a few hours at night if they open. Anyone else down?

will temptor be seeded yet?

obviously joking. but if it doesnt make to big of a wave with my wife, i'd love to hit up the opening day.

Greg

Staff member
Starting Monday night, they have snowmaking temps every night through the 7-day. Not sure if they would go for it, but I think they could open this Saturday if they wanted to.

Grassi21

Starting Monday night, they have snowmaking temps every night through the 7-day. Not sure if they would go for it, but I think they could open this Saturday if they wanted to.

looks like the 28th has a really good chance for an opening. very psyched for ski season.

i showed my son a vid brian made at sundown when we were braking in the new bumps on NE. the kid was literally wriggling out of my arms and trying to dive into the screen on the macbook. until mr evil came on and then he lost interest... ;-)

Greg

Staff member
Oh man - check it out:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...1079102&site=aly&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en

I see a solid 12+ hours of snowmaking every day in the 7 day forecast starting tomorrow night. I've seen the mountain open Stinger, Canyon, Nor'easter, Temptor, Ex and Little Joe after 60 hours of snowmaking. I wonder if they'll take a run at opening this weekend. I might be down for Saturday or Sunday night if they do....

Grassi21

Oh man - check it out:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...1079102&site=aly&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en

I see a solid 12+ hours of snowmaking every day in the 7 day forecast starting tomorrow night. I've seen the mountain open Stinger, Canyon, Nor'easter, Temptor, Ex and Little Joe after 60 hours of snowmaking. I wonder if they'll take a run at opening this weekend. I might be down for Saturday or Sunday night if they do....

that would be tough for me. vt on thurs. maine on friday and saturday. sunday will be spent catching up with the family. great forecast for the mighty sundown though.

Greg

Staff member
that would be tough for me. vt on thurs. maine on friday and saturday. sunday will be spent catching up with the family. great forecast for the mighty sundown though.

Sunday night!

If they're open, that is.

bvibert

Staff member
I'd be REALLY surprised if they went for this weekend. If they did I don't imagine they'd shoot to be open mid-week next week, which means a likely afternoon closing on Sunday...

Then again what do I know...

Greg

Staff member
I'd be REALLY surprised if they went for this weekend. If they did I don't imagine they'd shoot to be open mid-week next week, which means a likely afternoon closing on Sunday...

Then again what do I know...

I agree with everything you said, especially the last part.

rueler

anything is possible!! A Thanksgiving weekend opening looks very attainable at the very least!