The "Sugarbush Thread" - Page 100

AlpineZone

Page 100 of 681 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200600 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 6810
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    I figured that was what was going on. And nice to see you! Let me know if you are in Utah.
    Might be out for the NSAA winter show. We'll see. I'll let you know.

We did not blow any snow on Upper OG, except at the very top and the flats at Downspout. We got word to make snow on Lower OG on Tuesday, and it came together pretty quick, especially with the new towers. Given temps earlier in the week, we very well could have gotten Upper OG done. The decision was made to go to Lower OG and given the snow we put down on it, I'm sure it was fun today. Those towers did really well and worked very good in this week's cold temps. I think the decision to move to Lower OG was a good one, especially since it was known that HG would not be ready to spin for the weekend.

Also, having Lower OG open on Day 1 helps to take the pressure off Downspout. We all know how Downspout can get when its the only trail open! And without HG right away, maybe Downspout will hold together better early season.

I drove by the parking lot around 2pm and saw cars parked all the way behind our snowmaking compressor building. Looked like quite the crowd!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay View Post
    We did not blow any snow on Upper OG, except at the very top and the flats at Downspout. We got word to make snow on Lower OG on Tuesday, and it came together pretty quick, especially with the new towers. Given temps earlier in the week, we very well could have gotten Upper OG done. The decision was made to go to Lower OG and given the snow we put down on it, I'm sure it was fun today. Those towers did really well and worked very good in this week's cold temps. I think the decision to move to Lower OG was a good one, especially since it was known that HG would not be ready to spin for the weekend.

Also, having Lower OG open on Day 1 helps to take the pressure off Downspout. We all know how Downspout can get when its the only trail open! And without HG right away, maybe Downspout will hold together better early season.

I drove by the parking lot around 2pm and saw cars parked all the way behind our snowmaking compressor building. Looked like quite the crowd!!!
    Glad to hear it, Jay. Tell Paul and Mike that Patrick, Jon, and Dan said "Hello" from Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by shadyjay View Post

So when was it known HG wouldn't spin? Nice job on short notice.

They have the part and the repair is done from what I understand, but they can't run it until the state tram inspector returns.

had a nice day making turns. Thanks shady!

Good to hear! Lower OG has a lot of ditches/waterbars/stream crossings down below the germ chute (aka - the closed off portion) that require a lot of snow to fill in but those new towers did the job pretty good and fast. It is amazing since earlier in the week, there was merely a dusting of snow on it and we were driving the truck up the work road (Middle Jester as it crosses Lower OG). You really don't realize how much snow it takes to fill in those waterbars unless you see the trail without snow on it. Downspout, too, with the mountain bike berms.

BTW, we are still looking for snowmakers if anyone is looking for a job... day and night shifts available!

Heavens gate was fixed and they were testing it today.

Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    Heavens gate was fixed and they were testing it today.
    There are two ways to think about this latest situation. One is that it didn't work out as hoped and it is what it is. The other is that this was another fail and just demonstrates that they are not what they used to be. Hell, Sugarloaf has been open now for two weeks. If I was a passholder still I'd probably be quite disappointed, especially with the cold weather and snow. Other places are eating your lunch. It just seemed like the last few years they've "missed" opening early or on time for one of many reasons. This time it is lifts...and after a season where they got a lot of bad PR over lifts and lift problems. I understand that things happen, but they closed the first weekend of May and had all summer to do the work that needed to be done.

I like Sugarbush, but I guess in hindsight that the good early seasons that I had there ('07, '08 ) were more due to the fact that they were lucky (early snow, early cold, no lift issues) than planning.

And I am not taking anything away from the guys on the ground. This really is a management thing IMHO. They just don't seem "hungry" anymore and they are losing pace with the competition and becoming more of a subpar ski experience.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

They have opened on time for the last couple of years. I heard heavens gate would have been on windhold saturday if it was not broken.

For the past couple of years, we have opened top2bottom, and last year had both Jester and Upper OG. The date we try to strive for is the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Some years that actual calendar "date" varies, due to Thanksgiving's position. We were also able to get Pushover open for Thanksgiving weekend last year. During the 09/10 season, we missed the opening by a couple of weeks, but that was due to mother nature and her curveballs. Back in the days when ME was the early mountain, I don't ever recall top2bot for opening weekend.

EDIT: Just realized this is post #1000 in this thread!!!
    Last edited by shadyjay; Nov 27, 2014 at 12:49 PM.

Thread Information