• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

tumbler

I don't know how Jester-Downspout and OG look now with the warm up but with the forecast natural and good temps it would be nice if they could make a run to the bottom to TTB instead of downloading.

cdskier

I'm a bit disappointed that they turned off the Heaven's Gate camera for some reason. Now I really have no clue what any part of the mountain with snow on it looks like. As for TTB, I'm sure they will try as soon as they are sure they have enough snow on the upper trails. I really have no idea how much they had made and how much they lost with the warmth this week. The natural snow in the snow stake camera is getting pretty thin...

benski

I'm a bit disappointed that they turned off the Heaven's Gate camera for some reason. Now I really have no clue what any part of the mountain with snow on it looks like. As for TTB, I'm sure they will try as soon as they are sure they have enough snow on the upper trails. I really have no idea how much they had made and how much they lost with the warmth this week. The natural snow in the snow stake camera is getting pretty thin...

Still better than nothing and knowing Sugarbush I would not be surprised if they open with Spillsville and Upper Ripcord.

teleo

Don't understand why they turned the cams off, or why they turn them off ever.

From wins blog: It is almost certain that will be downloading on Opening Day, but will be shooting to get top-to-bottom as soon as possible.

I'm figuring, or hoping, they blow jester, og, deathspout sun mon Tues, and move to get ttb and not blast skiers on Wed. That should get ttb by Friday or at least on Sat when I get there.

Of course if the upslope machine turns on, anything is possible😆

If Nick would fix skimrv we'd likely get the full plan from Win. Someone over there suggested an alternative site. They should have done it. Still could and post the Url to SB Facebook page.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cdskier

They have until about the week of December 5th to get things in shape before I start skiing. Thanksgiving weekend has too much family stuff going on. Come December though I'm hoping to be up there a lot mid-week burning up my remaining vacation days for the year.

I'd expect that they will blast Jester, OG, and Downspout Sunday to Monday or Tuesday and then focus on getting something open lower down if temps allow. If temps don't cooperate down low, I'd expect them to shift to Ripcord (at least during open hours) and blow more up high. Will be interesting to watch how this unfolds.

WWF-VT

I just got back from a walk to the Heaven’s Gate chair at Lincoln Peak where it was 59 degrees in the parking lot. They have blown snow on Downspout just to the HG chair and the trail still needs more snow and grooming in advance of Wednesday’s planned opening. There are no hoses set up on Lower Downspout and Lower Jester so don’t expect TTB by next weekend via that route.

Last edited:

slatham

The wild card is how much natural they get. I do not think their plans from the other day contemplated the possibility of getting 12-18" which is the current forecast along the spine of the greens from what I just saw.

The other factor is they will have good temps down low Sunday night - Thur am. Thereafter they may only have good temps up high. So I wouldn't be surprised if they pull some guns to the DS/J runout Tues night- Thur am assuming all goes well up top Sunday-Tues and it does in fact snow a foot plus. Then they are TTB for Friday and can move back up as temps demand.

Where's Shady when you need him!

nhskier1969

The wild card is how much natural they get. I do not think their plans from the other day contemplated the possibility of getting 12-18" which is the current forecast along the spine of the greens from what I just saw.

The other factor is they will have good temps down low Sunday night - Thur am. Thereafter they may only have good temps up high. So I wouldn't be surprised if they pull some guns to the DS/J runout Tues night- Thur am assuming all goes well up top Sunday-Tues and it does in fact snow a foot plus. Then they are TTB for Friday and can move back up as temps demand.

Where's Shady when you need him!

How many hours to they need to open up to the bottom? They should probably do it anyway. With the amount of snow that they could possibly get, skiers will probably ski to the bottom anyway, If they could add some snowmaking to it, it will be safer for the skiers.

cdskier

12-18" on top of no base isn't much...it may not even be enough to fill in some of the water bars. Add to that the fact that lower elevations may not get as much as the upper mountain and I say no way there's enough to risk skiing to the bottom until they've made snow on it.

Bottom line is I don't think the 12-18" potential natural will impact their snow-making plans too much.

benski

12-18" on top of no base isn't much...it may not even be enough to fill in some of the water bars. Add to that the fact that lower elevations may not get as much as the upper mountain and I say no way there's enough to risk skiing to the bottom until they've made snow on it.

Bottom line is I don't think the 12-18" potential natural will impact their snow-making plans too much.

It's enough for spills and upper ripcord. Those trails don't take much.

WWF-VT

The ground isn’t frozen and there is no snow currently on Ripcord and minimal snow on Spillsville. You have to be a real optimist to think they will get open after this upcoming snow event. It’s a treat to ski Ripcord on natural snow but I am not confident that it’s going to happen by next weekend.

cdskier

The ground isn’t frozen and there is no snow currently on Ripcord and minimal snow on Spillsville. You have to be a real optimist to think they will get open after this upcoming snow event. It’s a treat to ski Ripcord on natural snow but I am not confident that it’s going to happen by next weekend.

Agreed. People are being way too optimistic about what this snow will do.

tumbler

Yeah, no way TTB by weekend since no guns set up down low. I forgot their new snowmaking philosophy of blowing on a trail for long time then pulling all equipment off to set up the next trail. Thanksgiving is not a ski holiday anyway.

nhskier1969

Yeah, no way TTB by weekend since no guns set up down low. I forgot their new snowmaking philosophy of blowing on a trail for long time then pulling all equipment off to set up the next trail. Thanksgiving is not a ski holiday anyway.

With the snow they are getting now thru Tuesday how much does it take from them to blow on lower downspout, lower jester to coffee run. They are all pretty narrow trails. Plus with all the snowstorm making the news in the boston area, It may attract some business for cheap ski/stay if they are TTTB for thanksgiving weekend.

cdskier

With the snow they are getting now thru Tuesday how much does it take from them to blow on lower downspout, lower jester to coffee run. They are all pretty narrow trails. Plus with all the snowstorm making the news in the boston area, It may attract some business for cheap ski/stay if they are TTTB for thanksgiving weekend.

Lower DS->Lower Jester-> Coffee Run may be narrow, but it is still a long run out (>1 mile long). Keep in mind that I don't see anything in the forecast showing ideal round the clock snowmaking temps down low. So down low you are working with good temps at night but marginal during the day at best with the current forecast this week.