• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

tumbler

Instead of Lower DS->Lower Jester->Coffee Run think about VH Traverse>Snowball>Spring Fling as the TTB route

It would also give them VH chair along with Bravo out of the base but doubt that will happen. Doing Lower DS to Coffee Run makes more sense though because then you go after Lower OG and Lower Jester, then Murpy's, Birland and that is a big chunk of the main mountain open and pressure off Downspout. The early seaon trails are the longest in terms of miles to get open but once done with those it usually fills in pretty quick. I think snowball/fling came on early last year to show off the new chair.

nhskier1969

For all the sugarbush followers(we are here now until skimrv is back online), what are your thoughts on the new snowcam? I like it but not sure how accurate it is. I think it right off Jester but is it to sheltered? I noticed that the storm in October and then this storm that Mad River Glen got a lot more snow out of each storm than Sugarbush did. Normally they are real close or SB receives a little more. I was wondering if the snow stake is to sheltered and not giving you an accurate reading when there is any wind?

cdskier

It would also give them VH chair along with Bravo out of the base but doubt that will happen. Doing Lower DS to Coffee Run makes more sense though because then you go after Lower OG and Lower Jester, then Murpy's, Birland and that is a big chunk of the main mountain open and pressure off Downspout. The early seaon trails are the longest in terms of miles to get open but once done with those it usually fills in pretty quick. I think snowball/fling came on early last year to show off the new chair.

They also justified it last year as helping to spread the crowds out. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see them move Spring Fling/Snowball up in the priority list on a regular basis for 2 reasons. 1) The VH chair. 2) The upgraded snowmaking capabilities on those trails

For all the sugarbush followers(we are here now until skimrv is back online), what are your thoughts on the new snowcam? I like it but not sure how accurate it is. I think it right off Jester but is it to sheltered? I noticed that the storm in October and then this storm that Mad River Glen got a lot more snow out of each storm than Sugarbush did. Normally they are real close or SB receives a little more. I was wondering if the snow stake is to sheltered and not giving you an accurate reading when there is any wind?

It is right near the top of the HG chair. It seems they may have moved it back into the woods a bit more compared to where it was last year just to provide a bit better shelter. Last year it had serious drifting issues. This year I haven't seen any drifts yet on the cam. Right now I'm pretty happy with what I've seen of the cam so far this season. I wouldn't put too much stock in comparing how much snow SB has had to MRG so far. Wait until we get some real major storms and start comparing. A difference of a few inches here and there is nothing to worry about. I've seen squalls hit Lincoln Peak that missed ME and vice versa in the past.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
The snow stake is indeed right at the top of Heaven's Gate lift, on the left right at the unload area. It's a secured spot in the trees with a light on it. It's interesting seeing that light when riding up the lift in the middle of the night.

Lower Downspout->Lower Jester is the t2b route that's getting started (if it hasn't already, I'm off tonight). Less acreage than covering SB/Fling, though SB/Fling is all set up and ready to fire, and has been since the early days of this month.

cdskier

Good to see you here Shady. Always nice to have your insider knowledge!

tumbler

Just be glad there is a snow stake at the summit with a camera on it! If it is a little off so be it

slatham

The snow stake is indeed right at the top of Heaven's Gate lift, on the left right at the unload area. It's a secured spot in the trees with a light on it. It's interesting seeing that light when riding up the lift in the middle of the night.

Lower Downspout

Thanks Shady. How long does it typically take to open Lower Downspout->Lower Jester ??

rtjcbrown

Looking at the video webcam at 10:00 am, and it sure looks like they are getting ready to load the Super Bravo any time now. Lift is running, three attendants are there, and one is smoothing out the loading area, while the others are setting up cones.

Hawk

I have not been able to log into the SkiMRV site for months. Have been lurking here for years so I decided to log in.
I cannot properly describe my excitement to get skiing this year. Things are looking good on the snow and opening day should be awesome. I love this time of year.

Hawk

Looking at the video webcam at 10:00 am, and it sure looks like they are getting ready to load the Super Bravo any time now. Lift is running, three attendants are there, and one is smoothing out the loading area, while the others are setting up cones.

Probably Win, the marketing crew and assorted others. Maybe a soft start for the well informed. If I was up I would wander on over and see if I could join in.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
[for some reason, I can't quote any message. it disables my space bar]

Most likely they're spinning the lift for the various staff to get up the mountain, training, etc. This includes the lift attendants destined to Heaven's Gate to get that ready (build the ramp, bring tools up, etc), plus the top ramp, etc. Patrol is also probably skiing around and has to bring up all their tools and equipment (bamboo, discos, etc).

Probably would take a few days to open from below HG to the base. Prior to this snow, that was all bare ground (remember, it was nearly 70 deg on Saturday). There's waterbars to fill in, and it's still a long route, despite not being as wide as SB-Fling. All depends on the temps, however. And since it is a primary route, you'd want to groom it before opening, most likely, though I've seen it opened without grooming in the past. Before you groom it, you do want it to leach out so it doesn't turn into one big pile of ice.

nhskier1969

Just went on SB website and they have it updated for opening day with 4 trails, they usual suspects. But if says snowmaking trails 0. Anyone know if this is true, that they currently aren't making snow?

teleo

My guess has been they move snowmaking lower to get ttb and not blow skiers. They like to avoid blowing skiers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cdskier

I find it hard to believe they aren't making snow somewhere with these temps. Unless there's a problem, I'm inclined to say someone just didn't properly update the website (at least I hope that's what it is).

cdskier

No sign of snowmaking in the base area overnight from the view on the cam. I still wish they had a cam that gave you a view of either the whole LP area or at least the HG summit area.

Jully

Is the lack of SkiMRV hurting their communication this year? I thought Win was usually pretty open about where he was blowing snow and prospective opening dates. Their opening today is quite soft and not as advertised as I'd have thought.

cdskier

Is the lack of SkiMRV hurting their communication this year? I thought Win was usually pretty open about where he was blowing snow and prospective opening dates. Their opening today is quite soft and not as advertised as I'd have thought.

It is certainly hurting us in the sense that we're not getting the insider updates from Win. He had just started actively posting again in skimrv for the season right before the site crashed. Would be really great if skimrv was fixed asap. It has been completely down almost a week now and I'm certainly missing not hearing from Win on the plans...

As for the opening being not well advertised, I didn't notice any difference there compared to other years. I received multiple e-mails from Sugarbush leading up to opening day and saw several posts from them on Facebook. Not sure what else they usually do, but that's usually where I've seen the info in the past.

Jully

It is certainly hurting us in the sense that we're not getting the insider updates from Win. He had just started actively posting again in skimrv for the season right before the site crashed. Would be really great if skimrv was fixed asap. It has been completely down almost a week now and I'm certainly missing not hearing from Win on the plans...

As for the opening being not well advertised, I didn't notice any difference there compared to other years. I received multiple e-mails from Sugarbush leading up to opening day and saw several posts from them on Facebook. Not sure what else they usually do, but that's usually where I've seen the info in the past.

I suppose I meant more the buildup to the opening, the opening date itself was well advertised as usual, you're right. Thanks, that clears things up. Definitely need to get that site up asap!

nhskier1969

According the website they aren't making any snow on any part of the mountain. I don't understand their thinking of not opening a TTB route. I would have to imagine that they picked up over a foot of snow from the bottom of Stiens going up the mountain. With that snow and the cold weather i couldn't have taken much more snow to open up the runout. The runout wouldn't have needed nearly the snow on it as Downspout or Organgrinder. Every Vermont resort that is opening up this week is top to bottom except Sugarbush.