• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

rtjcbrown

I could see the area listed as "Future Mountain Expansion Potential" being built as access to another real estate venture. Probably just a trail or two to provide "slopeside access" to the new project

WWF-VT

I really wouldn't want anymore trails, but would like more glades. This would be wishful thinking but I would love to see them glade out slide brook, very similar to what Sugarloaf did with Brackett Basin. Then reconfigure the Slide brook express with a pick up point at the bottom where is reaches the basin. You could go off the back of North Lynx or Mount ellen and ski close to 2100 vertical. You could then take the slide brook chair back to either Ellen or Lincoln Peak. Glading slide brook would give Sugarbush over 2500++ acres of skiable terrain.

Meh...there are already lots of options in the woods , not "glades" between LP ad Mt Ellen with a shuttle bus transportation option

benski

I could see the area listed as "Future Mountain Expansion Potential" being built as access to another real estate venture. Probably just a trail or two to provide "slopeside access" to the new project

It could also provide an alternate lot for people who boot up at there car. That would help reduce the traffic problem on the access road and open up some space for a few more condos at the current base area.

rtjcbrown

Re: SlideBrook Chairlift. I know the snow report mentions that there needs to be enough snow under the lift to enable snowmobiles to get in there in the case of emergency. What about using Quads? If the snow isn't deep enough for a snowmobile, then it shouldn't be too deep for a Quad. I am sure there is an answer, and I feel like I have heard it before, but can't remember.

WWF-VT

Re: SlideBrook Chairlift. I know the snow report mentions that there needs to be enough snow under the lift to enable snowmobiles to get in there in the case of emergency. What about using Quads? If the snow isn't deep enough for a snowmobile, then it shouldn't be too deep for a Quad. I am sure there is an answer, and I feel like I have heard it before, but can't remember.

What's a "Quad" ?

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Don't believe we have enough quads for that purpose, plus you'd have to get said quad from the base areas up to the roads daily. Each day the lift operates, the lift maintenance crews have to go in and check the roads. We have way more snowmobiles than quads. In addition, the lift wouldn't have been running this weekend anyway even if there was enough snow, since temps are below the threshold. A 2-mile lift ride would be pretty cold if it stopped. I rode it one time in a snowstorm when it was in the teens/low 20s and by the time I got back to LP, I was a bit "chilled".

MEtoVTSkier

Don't believe we have enough quads for that purpose, plus you'd have to get said quad from the base areas up to the roads daily. Each day the lift operates, the lift maintenance crews have to go in and check the roads. We have way more snowmobiles than quads. In addition, the lift wouldn't have been running this weekend anyway even if there was enough snow, since temps are below the threshold. A 2-mile lift ride would be pretty cold if it stopped. I rode it one time in a snowstorm when it was in the teens/low 20s and by the time I got back to LP, I was a bit "chilled".

Time for 'Olde School blankets! :lol:

rtjcbrown

Thanks for the reply Shadyjay. Even if you don't have enough Quads/ATVs right now, isn't it a small price to pay (buying a small fleet) vs. watching your multi-million dollar lift sit unused for the majority of the season? I think there has to be another reason.

cdskier

Thanks for the reply Shadyjay. Even if you don't have enough Quads/ATVs right now, isn't it a small price to pay (buying a small fleet) vs. watching your multi-million dollar lift sit unused for the majority of the season? I think there has to be another reason.

I don't know if even quads would be a realistic solution. Running quads over water bars that aren't completely filled in isn't necessarily a great idea. Considering some of the water bars that are still present on the lower elevation natural trails, I find it hard to believe all the roads/trails through Slide Brook wouldn't have those same problems at lower elevations.

Personally I'd rather see the lift sit idle for a few weeks rather than see Sugarbush waste money on a fleet of quads that they don't really need.

Griswold

Sorry to change the subject here but can anyone recommend a ski shop in the sugarbush area for a tune? I do most tuning myself but it is time for a base grind and I will be skiing sugarbush this weekend. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

cdskier

Sorry to change the subject here but can anyone recommend a ski shop in the sugarbush area for a tune? I do most tuning myself but it is time for a base grind and I will be skiing sugarbush this weekend. Thanks in advance!

Personally I use the on mountain shop for tune ups and have never had a complaint. I like the convenience of dropping off at the end of one day of skiing and picking it up the next morning right at the mountain without making any other stops. With the discount for passholders, they come out to pretty much the same price as the other reputable shops in the area.

My second choice would probably be Mountainside though if you're against using Sugarbush's own shop. https://mountainsideski.com/ski-tuning/

tumbler

I like Alpine Options. Get them in before 8pm on Friday night and they will be ready in the morning.

cdskier

I like Alpine Options. Get them in before 8pm on Friday night and they will be ready in the morning.

I refuse to go back there after they sold a demo ski they were holding for me without the courtesy of a phone call a few years ago. I rushed up there (5 hour drive) after work on a Friday to pick it up before they closed and when I got there they said "sorry, we sold that yesterday". I get that someone wanted to buy the ski and they sold it when they had the opportunity. I don't get the fact that they had my phone number and didn't call me to say something.

tumbler

I refuse to go back there after they sold a demo ski they were holding for me without the courtesy of a phone call a few years ago. I rushed up there (5 hour drive) after work on a Friday to pick it up before they closed and when I got there they said "sorry, we sold that yesterday". I get that someone wanted to buy the ski and they sold it when they had the opportunity. I don't get the fact that they had my phone number and didn't call me to say something.

Bummer but seems like a bit much to refuse them but whatever. I think everyone has there go to preference especially if you are in there enough you develop relationship. Like your favorite bartender, know him and you get good service.

Griswold

Thanks for the recommendations. Sounds like I can't really go wrong with any of them

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Hawk

I have been going to Alpine options for about 12 yrs now. Joe and Anya are good people to me and have gone way out of their way many times to help me out. I am sure your ski issue was a simple mistake or they did not think you would be back. Did they take down your name and number with a firm commitment? Typically they take a deposit on skis if you want to hold them. If you went in and said I want to buy these and did not put anything down then they have every right to sell them. Who knows if you are coming back.
I would never go to Mountain side. I have had more than one bad experience that I will not elaborate on. That is just my experience. Some people love Brooke and I am sure he has his crew that he services.
I have never done the tuning at the mountain but..... they have a pretty good turnover with employment and I cringe to think that some newly trained tech will be grinding the crap out of my skis. Again just my take.