• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Duncanator24

Really fun spring conditions Friday and Saturday. Very odd for that to happen in February, but nonetheless a great time. Really soft moguls and a completely empty mountain both days. Unfortunate how much base was lost from last weekend but assuming winter comes back this month, things should improve. I say this as it is pouring rain outside right now and I probably won't ski much tomorrow but I'm endlessly optimistic.

tumbler

What's up with Northridge? Snow report today said they were assessing the timeframe for repair...

benski

What's up with Northridge? Snow report today said they were assessing the timeframe for repair...

Nobody know how to work that lift. Its was built by Poma and relocated by Doplmeyer and apparently has not worked wright since the relocation.

Savemeasammy

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1488305643.129887.jpg

Why are people spreading these vicious rumors? Just look at this pic I took from the Gatehouse this morning...ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1488305744.219949.jpg
The woods are in play! 😀

(To be fair, some woods have cover, but let's not get all crazy Sugarbush!)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

cdskier

I was wondering that as well.

Nobody know how to work that lift. Its was built by Poma and relocated by Doplmeyer and apparently has not worked wright since the relocation.

Actually it has run fairly well since the last overhaul/rebuild about 2 years ago up until whatever just happened this weekend.

benski

I was wondering that as well.

Actually it has run fairly well since the last overhaul/rebuild about 2 years ago up until whatever just happened this weekend.

Good to here. My sugarbush days have dropped a lot the last three seasons.

CoolMike

. . .

That's a south facing slope though. I bet the difference with the eastern and northern aspects of the hill are huge. That being said, what an ugly picture for the Bush before March 1.

Duncanator24

Why are people spreading these vicious rumors? Just look at this pic I took from the Gatehouse this morning...
The woods are in play!

That area of woods off of Gatehouse is not really all that skiiable anyways. You just have to get to higher elevations and then the woods are still covered quite decently. Exterminator woods and Paradise woods are good examples of places with lots of snow still.

bushpilot

I was there yesterday. It looks dismal. The beginner slope is almost gone. There were bare patches all over and there is no longer any snow under the village double. There were areas on snow making trails that looked like there was less than a 10 inch base. I don't know if they have. All natural lower elevation trails are down to bare earth upper ones didn't look too much better.

If you have passes or vouchers for any mountains I would say get out there and use them now. If most of the VT places make it through mid march I will be surprised. Use all your prepaid stuff now. If we get a lot of snow in march you won't mind paying out of pocket for good skiing. Right now I would give you a dollar to ski what I did yesterday.

It is really sad to see how much was lost in just over a week. Friday 2/17 was amazing. Yesterday was depressing. Small snow falls will not help given the state of current conditions. If march starts the way February did (5 feet in 2 weeks) we might be able to salvage something. Otherwise ski it while you can! It's going fast!

nhskier1969

I agree with all the above. I can't believe how much snow they lost in one week. Pretty much zero natural snow below 2500 feet. I skied Ellen Today and it skied really well. Natural trails off of summit were good. But below that all the natural trails are closed. There main route snowmaking trails will make it to April. Even if they get a lot of snow i don't now how they will get the trees open with all the water running in the woods.

Duncanator24

Even last year, winter showed up in March. So I imagine we can have some really good skiing again in a couple weeks. It's a little too early to be ringing the closing bell for the season. Plus even now at its worst, the mountain is still pretty fun. Fri, Sat, Sun (24-26) was incredibly fun. Sure there were bare spots but that didnt take away from the entertainment value. Even the tiny snowfall on Sun made a huge difference on some trails though.

Savemeasammy

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1488378216.947966.jpg
Domino

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1488378240.261890.jpg
Lew's Line

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1488378267.984790.jpg
Paradise

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1488378295.502275.jpg
Spillsville

There is definitely more snow at higher elevations, but unfortunately the better skiing yesterday was down low. The bump run lookers right of the north lynx triple was decent. I probably would have skied it more than twice if that chairlift wasn't so damn slow!

cdskier

Domino and Spillsville look NICE

The top part of Domino looks good...once you get below the sharp turn to the right about half way down it starts to thin out quickly with many bare spots by the time you hit lower domino. Lower Domino definitely needs snow soon.

DSC_0114.jpg

Jully

The top part of Domino looks good...once you get below the sharp turn to the right about half way down it starts to thin out quickly with many bare spots by the time you hit lower domino. Lower Domino definitely needs snow soon.

View attachment 22017

Well that is tough to see. I kept delaying my trip to SB and hope I didn't miss the best parts. Now I have to gamble as to whether I hit it before it goes any further downhill or pray that we get some decent March storms.

rocks860

View attachment 22013
Domino

View attachment 22014
Lew's Line

View attachment 22015
Paradise

View attachment 22016
Spillsville

There is definitely more snow at higher elevations, but unfortunately the better skiing yesterday was down low. The bump run lookers right of the north lynx triple was decent. I probably would have skied it more than twice if that chairlift wasn't so damn slow!

I believe sunrise is the trail you're referring to. A couple years ago they groomed that trail and then it snowed about 8 inches on a Tuesday. I was up there for the week and Wednesday was just pure powder, I must have hit that trail 10 times and the mountain was practically empty

3b6b45e89e25b8e11327f59d3e82ec37.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk