• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

When the snow is good morning Star is awesome

2 weeks ago I was commenting when I was riding North Lynx how unusually good the cover looked on the upper part of Morning Star. Then this past Saturday it was pretty bare and only the lower half of it was even open. Today I see it is not open at all on the trail report.

I agree it is a fun pod, although I generally take no more than 2 or 3 runs there any given day due to the slow lift covering not much vertical and SB having too much other good terrain that I want to ski.

bushpilot

Well that is tough to see. I kept delaying my trip to SB and hope I didn't miss the best parts. Now I have to gamble as to whether I hit it before it goes any further downhill or pray that we get some decent March storms.

I would get out there ASAP! The weather for the next two weeks looks relatively snowless with some rain and lots of warm temps. If it happens to snow big I don't think you would mind paying for a day ticket on a powder day. But if you are waiting for better conditions to use that pass, that was yesterday and tomorrow the better conditions were today lol. It is only gonna get worse imo.

Jully

2 weeks ago I was commenting when I was riding North Lynx how unusually good the cover looked on the upper part of Morning Star. Then this past Saturday it was pretty bare and only the lower half of it was even open. Today I see it is not open at all on the trail report.

I agree it is a fun pod, although I generally take no more than 2 or 3 runs there any given day due to the slow lift covering not much vertical and SB having too much other good terrain that I want to ski.

I generally take no more than 5 runs over there too. I just think its an awesome little pod haha (though it certainly loses its luster if you do it more than 5x in a day/weekend). I will spend more time there if a) its mad crowded) or b) its a powder day.

Jully

I would get out there ASAP! The weather for the next two weeks looks relatively snowless with some rain and lots of warm temps. If it happens to snow big I don't think you would mind paying for a day ticket on a powder day. But if you are waiting for better conditions to use that pass, that was yesterday and tomorrow the better conditions were today lol. It is only gonna get worse imo.

This is true... maybe I will have to get sick soon...

cdskier

Castlerock Extreme Challenge this Saturday...supposedly the event will be held but they are assessing conditions later to determine where to hold it. I wouldn't be surprised if they move it to Paradise. Lift Line looked like it had a lot of bare spots last weekend from what you could see from a distance and I'm sure it only got worse this week.

Hawk

Sugarbush canceled the Freestyle event for this weekend stating that the park and the mogul course have both melted out and froze solid. What a bummer for those kids.

Hawk

Castlerock Extreme Challenge this Saturday...supposedly the event will be held but they are assessing conditions later to determine where to hold it. I wouldn't be surprised if they move it to Paradise. Lift Line looked like it had a lot of bare spots last weekend from what you could see from a distance and I'm sure it only got worse this week.

Look at the Web cam at the bottom. That should give you a good idea. Yikes.

cdskier

Look at the Web cam at the bottom. That should give you a good idea. Yikes.

Hah, I've looked at it far too much! The base of the CR chair is a lovely sheet of solid ice with a dusting of snow sprinkled on top.

bushpilot

I was there today. It was awful! Everywhere was a total sheet of ice. Free foot and leg massage with every run! I think the only days worth skiing now are the ones where temps are above freezing.

cdskier

I think the groomed runs could be ok by Saturday with 2 additional grooming cycles on them. The wind is what worries me as I'm a bit concerned about potential wind holds.

They also moved the CR Extreme Challenge to Paradise. Good luck to anyone competing. I can't imagine those bumps being even remotely enjoyable at the moment. Last year they moved it to Paradise too, although interestingly enough CR had enough cover be open for hiking and was surprisingly decent (I only remember this because that was the only weekend I made it to CR last year).

hovercraft

With Mt. Snow, Stratton, Okemo, Killington,Stowe and Magic Mt making snow why isn't the Bush making snow?

cdskier

Wait they aren't??

If they are they're sure keeping it secret. I'm not really surprised as this is their typical strategy. This is one area I don't agree with their strategy on though. They make a certain amount of snow on trails and once they hit their goal, they're pretty much done unless you had major bare spots showing on key snowmaking trails. They still feel they have adequate depth on those trails though and are just "letting the groomers work their magic." I don't quite understand the strategy after the exceptional weather roller coaster we've just gone through.

bushpilot

With Mt. Snow, Stratton, Okemo, Killington,Stowe and Magic Mt making snow why isn't the Bush making snow?

I think that with the end of PDW that closes out the big money making season. There is Spring Break in April but I think most of the people South of VT are getting into the swing of Spriong sports and don't really make the trip up. You see it in their schedule of events. All the Mass holidays have lots of activities like smores cookouts, special group classes, kids cooking lots of live music. Now that VT/NH vacation week is here they don't do shit. Lifts spin at 9 instead of 8 as well. They are definitely catering to a Mass crowd.

dlague

It is already starting my son is playing lacrosse and they have a preseason tournament which is made up of a full day of scrimmages on Saturday and they have ever practices next Saturday as well. I am sure the same applies to states south of Vermont. Lacrosse in NH did not start until the end of March.

I hope Sugarbush manages something decent for this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

Wow...Sugarbush plans to turn on the guns this evening on some Gate House and Valley House terrain. I'm pretty shocked.

Hawk

Wait whaat???? That is totally unexpected. I thought I would never here this. How did you get the specifics? I see it on Twitter but they never said where they would blow.

Wow...Sugarbush plans to turn on the guns this evening on some Gate House and Valley House terrain. I'm pretty shocked.