• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Has anyone ever rented the LL for the day? Personally - if the conditions are right - I think that is the best bargain going - $1700 for the day (I'm thinking Mt. Ellen after a 2' spring dump) I almost pulled the trigger on this a couple of years ago but was not able to get up there. It is on my SB bucket list. Imagine you and 11 other people just doing laps on untracked!

How often do we really get 2' of snow in April after ME closes for the season though?

In other news, I got a post card in the mail from SB today advertising the For 30s pass being $599 until 9/13 and $699 after. Cutting it close to that deadline to just get it in the mail now, although I was a bit surprised that they mailed it to me even though I already bought the pass back in March when they first went on sale. You would think that is a simple cross-check of the database to eliminate sending out flyers to people that already purchased a pass. Unless perhaps they are hoping I'll tell a friend or family member?

thetrailboss

Staff member
How often do we really get 2' of snow in April after ME closes for the season though?

?

Exactly. I haven't been in six years, but I only know of one ME cat day and it was a promo for the media in 2009 or so. Maybe one other day.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

djd66

Well when we do get that 2' dump in April and I buy the Lincoln Limo for the day - I will be sure not to invite you guys.

slatham

"How often do we really get 2' of snow in April after ME closes for the season though?"

Well, EVERYTIME it snows in April its after ME closes! And I would hazard a guess that most years there is at least one 10"+ snowfall that would justify a full day limo rental. But if you set the bar at 2' then its a valid point.......

And don't rule out December before ME opens!

cdskier

And don't rule out December before ME opens!

I don't think they run the cat at ME before it opens. The focus at that point is on getting the mountain ready to open...

Was just looking at Sugarbush's website and didn't even see mention of the cat being available for use at ME at all in the "Cabin Cat Adventure" section. Is it under some other section on their site or did they remove it?

Hawk

They do not run the cat at ME before they are open. I had this exact conversation with operations people. Also if you think that you are going wait until you see a storm coming to book the cat over there you will be very disappointed. Have you not seen the photo shoots when that happens. It is always Egan and Diggity and the rest of the mountain crew. Good luck. You are better off skinning. I had more than one day over there with the place empty.

thetrailboss

Staff member
They do not run the cat at ME before they are open. I had this exact conversation with operations people. Also if you think that you are going wait until you see a storm coming to book the cat over there you will be very disappointed. Have you not seen the photo shoots when that happens. It is always Egan and Diggity and the rest of the mountain crew. Good luck. You are better off skinning. I had more than one day over there with the place empty.

Also correct. The VIPs that emerge for these cat trips are a big reason why I never took the cat operation seriously.

The "special perks for special friends" crap also got old.

cdskier

Also correct. The VIPs that emerge for these cat trips are a big reason why I never took the cat operation seriously.

The "special perks for special friends" crap also got old.

Agree on this completely. It seems like the past few years Sugarbush has posted photos of staff like Diggity making turns at ME a day or two before they open to the public in untouched powder. Pretty ridiculous...

Hawk

That is a perk that they are afforded as part of the job description. The pay is not so good so I can't begrudge them for that. I am also not good with rules so when the snow is good over there, you will find me doing the covert skin to try and beat those guys to it. ;-)
The regular cat experience at Lincoln peak is worth the money on a powder day and is obtainable if you are on the ball and make the call a couple of days in advance. I have never done it because I get the early ups pass but many of my friends have. They say it is great.

ingsy

Thanks for all the replies on the cat skiing. I think I'll try skining up ME.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Agree on this completely. It seems like the past few years Sugarbush has posted photos of staff like Diggity making turns at ME a day or two before they open to the public in untouched powder. Pretty ridiculous...

Yes, the "friends with perks" thing that was rubbed in us passholders faces got pretty lame quickly. I will not forget one of the last days I was there I watched as passholders who had been standing in line since 7am at Bravo got angry while "special" people who couldn't ski were lapping the fresh powder. As a local you probably just ignore it after a while, but these folks were passholders for years and were pissed. Why do that shit?

mbedle

Yes, the "friends with perks" thing that was rubbed in us passholders faces got pretty lame quickly. I will not forget one of the last days I was there I watched as passholders who had been standing in line since 7am at Bravo got angry while "special" people who couldn't ski were lapping the fresh powder. As a local you probably just ignore it after a while, but these folks were passholders for years and were pissed. Why do that shit?

What do you mean by "special" people? Where these people friends of the owners, staff, patrons paying for early access to the lift?

slatham

FYI cool little video of installing the Village Quad base bullwheel is on FB. It's not a primary post but a comment under a different thread.

djd66

Door Number 1.

I guess I just need to buy my own mountain.

For what is worth, the day I am referring too was about 2 years ago. I had the LL lined up on a powder day and could have taken it - but something came up and I was not able to pull it off.