• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

mtnlady

Don't know & will find out

Strat - I have not been to the LP base to witness the progress. From my official source my understanding is the Bull Wheel end of the yellow (Alpine Options) building ended up needing to be demolished as opposed to moved, in order to put down footings for this season's construction phase. The remainder of the structure will be closed in and refit for Alpine Options.

Lostone - I'll meet your rumor, and raise you one (or several) facts as soon as I can get answers. Can you believe no one's working yet today, and it's after 7AM?!

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
Re: Don't know & will find out

mtnlady said:
Strat - I have not been to the LP base to witness the progress. From my official source my understanding is the Bull Wheel end of the yellow (Alpine Options) building ended up needing to be demolished as opposed to moved, in order to put down footings for this season's construction phase. The remainder of the structure will be closed in and refit for Alpine Options.
Alright, sounds good, hope they can make it work out effectively...

Treeskier

RSN fails but the need for information stays alive

Funny how RSN fails but the need for information live on loud.

ON my earlier post...the ski patrol named downward slope on the upper travers to slidebrook has been named the "Pin Ball Alley" rightly so. (we did edit is some....safety first")

The light is getting shorter. Snow will be flying in the continental USA with in days. ( I predict with in 10 days)

Ski Yah

:beer:

smootharc

Small aside here....

....but our local paper here in Syracuse had an article Sunday on swimming holes, and the correspondent for the area covering VT and much of New England had pegged Warren Falls as one of his top 5 in VT.

Seems like people find the MRV due to the skiing, then realize there's so much more....all year round....where the valley shines....

Lostone

I have to travel ~ 8 miles to town.

I used to live in Dracut, Mass. I had to travel ~3.5 miles to the food store.

It is quicker to do the 8 miles.

And on the way, instead of seeing house after house in postage stamp lots, I see fields, the river, and mountains. :)

Life doesn't have to suck. :beer:

Treeskier

More Claybrook News

By now you know that we will be building an "Interim Village" at Lincoln Peak that will provide much improved convenience to our guests. Parents may drive up near the village which will contain a new ticketing building, ski & ride office, first timer building, rentals and a new Sprung Structure for our children's programs - our the new Sugar Bear and Mini- Bear Dean. It will be 5,000 square feet - 2,000 more than we currently have in the old Gate House Dens. The Old Mini Bear Den will house our Bull Wheel shop this winter as well as our guest seasonal lockers. The Sugar Bear Den will have additional locker space and luncheon seating.

So what is a Sprung? It is actually manufactured in Calgary, Canada by a family named Sprung. Ours is being custom made and is expected to arrive around the 15th of September and take a few weeks to install. It will look similar to the attached photo (bottom) and will be red with a gray house. It is going to look very sharp, and we think the kids are going to love it. The rental and ski & ride buildings are scheduled to be moved over the next couple of weeks and construction of the new ticket office will begin shortly as well.

What is happening with parking? It sure looks like a mess now, but it will not by opening day. Please tell everyone to "Pardon our Progress : We will be ready for you on opening day in December." Yes, there will be some inconveniences this winter with the construction site around Claybrook. Parking will not be as close, but the impact will be that the walk may take 30 - 60 seconds longer. We will have shuttles running. Importantly, the on-mountain experience will not be negatively affected in any way. In fact, there will be noticeable improvements.

Easy Rider is being graded to provide more and better beginner terrain. Our Sun Kid lift will be located adjacent to the Interim Village and an easy walk from the Sprung. Because our rental building and the children's area has been moved, there will be more space around the Bravo lift to shape our corrals and provide more room for movement. Because the Seasonal Ticket office has been removed, there will be more space around the Gate House lift as well.

The Hill behind the Gate House is also been shaped to provide for some better movement.

The Valley House will be fully operational this winter. The cafeteria and Wunderbar will operated on weekends and holidays and The Mushroom will continue to operate as well.

Over the next two months there is going to be a tremendous amount of activity in and around the base area and people may wonder what the guest experience is going to be this year. Our competitors will surely try to use it against us as well, so it is important that we all get the accurate word out to the Valley and to our guests. We will be ready to provide a great ski & ride this year. Sugarbush is already a great mountain, and it is only getting better!

Thanks for your help with this!

Win

Greg

Staff member
Re: More Claybrook News

Treeskier said:
Thanks for your help with this!

Win
Is this Win, as in Sugarbush President Win Smith? If so, I'm truly flattered and welcome to AlpineZone.com!

Lostone

Well... yeah.. sorta.

Actually, that was someone named Greg, posting a letter from Win.

I knew, when I read it that it would confuse some.

Figured I'd wait until the question, to answer it. ;)

smootharc

Sorry if it's been posted before....

...but had to be in the valley Tuesday. Heading to the check out at the Paradise Deli I spotted....."Powder" !!!!! - Annual Gear Issue. Picked it up straight away, and, well, well, well....there's a page profile on SB trees and Slide Brook underutilization. Hmmm.....

Greg

Staff member
Lostone said:
Well... yeah.. sorta.

Actually, that was someone named Greg, posting a letter from Win.

I knew, when I read it that it would confuse some.

Figured I'd wait until the question, to answer it. ;)
:oops:

Strat said:
Any word on the AZ challenge answers?
I think JJ was on vacation last week and was hoping to see them this week. I've been talking with Jeremy there as well and I do know it's on the to-do list. Stay tuned.

vtskibum

Strat (aka snowboarder757)

I am pretty sure you are keeping your SBush historical site up to date. I am not keeping mine current. I recently came across some old SBush trail maps and promotional/marketing pieces. Let me know if you have interest in adding them to your site as I can make scans for you. The maps are:

Glen Ellen - Undated - Titled Glen Ellen The Home of Summit Skiing. This is a marketing piece but of interest is that it shows in conceptual drawing the trail that was planned above Inverness and talks about the Inn and Glen Ellen being under construction just to the right of the 700 car parking lot. This a pre-SBush ownership days.

Glen Ellen - 70-71. Trail Map. This is before Glen Ellen became part of SBush. Love not only the trail names (only 4 or 5 remain the same) but lift tickets were 9.50, season passes were $180, and a group lesson was 5. And of course for rentals you had your choice of WOOD or metal skis.

SBush - 78-79. This was just after the addition of Glen Ellen to SBush and it's renaming to SBush North. While this has the mountains shown with trail names written in I believe it is more of a brochure/marketing piece then a trail map.

SBush 78-79. This is a combo trail map and SBush Valley piece. There is a section on the GLM method of learning to ski which is what I learned under in NY. Most of the pictures still show safety straps keeping people attached to their skis.

skibum1321

Re: More Claybrook News

Treeskier said:
Please tell everyone to "Pardon our Progress : We will be ready for you on opening day in December."
They must mean Lincoln Peak opening day by that?

Lostone

Yep. As of a couple years ago, they open North first and close it last. One of those things I really don't like, but certainly understand. :cry:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: Strat (aka snowboarder757)

vtskibum said:
I am pretty sure you are keeping your SBush historical site up to date. I am not keeping mine current. I recently came across some old SBush trail maps and promotional/marketing pieces. Let me know if you have interest in adding them to your site as I can make scans for you. The maps are:

Glen Ellen - Undated - Titled Glen Ellen The Home of Summit Skiing. This is a marketing piece but of interest is that it shows in conceptual drawing the trail that was planned above Inverness and talks about the Inn and Glen Ellen being under construction just to the right of the 700 car parking lot. This a pre-SBush ownership days.

Yep, gotta love the unofficial/official addition that was cut above Inverness. Isn't that Inn currently in operation?

Glen Ellen - 70-71. Trail Map. This is before Glen Ellen became part of SBush. Love not only the trail names (only 4 or 5 remain the same)...

LOVE the old trail names! Royal Tartan, Flying Scotsman, Devil's Elbow, Hoot Mon, etc!

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
Re: Strat (aka snowboarder757)

vtskibum said:

Glen Ellen - 70-71. Trail Map. This is before Glen Ellen became part of SBush. Love not only the trail names (only 4 or 5 remain the same) but lift tickets were 9.50, season passes were $180, and a group lesson was 5. And of course for rentals you had your choice of WOOD or metal skis.

SBush - 78-79. This was just after the addition of Glen Ellen to SBush and it's renaming to SBush North. While this has the mountains shown with trail names written in I believe it is more of a brochure/marketing piece then a trail map.

SBush 78-79. This is a combo trail map and SBush Valley piece. There is a section on the GLM method of learning to ski which is what I learned under in NY. Most of the pictures still show safety straps keeping people attached to their skis.
Most definitely! I would absolutely LOVE to have all of these! As Hi-Res as possible please! :wink: :D

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
Relating to all this old map business: Teachski, not sure if you're reading this thread but in case, just saying I discovered the new 1969 ski atlas map of Glen Ellen on your site and am assuming your permission to include it on mine... if there's any problem though, let me know and I'll take it off...

Greg

Staff member
Strat said:
Relating to all this old map business: Teachski, not sure if you're reading this thread but in case, just saying I discovered the new 1969 ski atlas map of Glen Ellen on your site and am assuming your permission to include it on mine... if there's any problem though, let me know and I'll take it off...
PM her.

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
Greg said:
Strat said:
PM her.
Good plan. I could email her as well.