• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

mikec142

Win,

Thanks so much for chiming in here. I love it. It reinforces that special feeling I get from Sugarbush and the Mad River Valley. My family and I are from New Jersey, but if asked, I would say that Sugarbush is my home mountain even though it's 5.5 hours from my house. I'm looking forward to a great season.

Mike

tumbler

I wish they were expanding terrain with the current snowmaking window. Ripcord would be nice and Lower OG & Lower Jester to start mid mountain.

cdskier

I wish they were expanding terrain with the current snowmaking window. Ripcord would be nice and Lower OG & Lower Jester to start mid mountain.

Just keep in mind it is still only November and we're already ahead of where we are many years at this time in terms of number of open trails. On November 28th the following # of trails were open: 2011 - 0, 2012 - 8, 2013 - 7, 2014 - 10, 2015 - 4, 2016 - 8.

I don't have a problem with re-surfacing and building some depth now to help keep those trails that are currently open in good shape instead of expanding too quickly and risking having trails too thin to stand up to some weather variation.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
We had a great night last night, making some severely large piles on the route from the bottom of HG to the base area, both via Gondolier and Coffee Run, as well as on First Time. Amazing what single digits and zero wind will do in only a matter of 4 hours.

cdskier

I see from the afternoon snow report that Ripcord is up next on the snowmaking schedule once temps drop back down!

WinS

The window was not enough to complete Ripcord before it warmed up so it made sense to refresh the lower mountain which was not complete when you had cold temps down low. The rest of the week will require that we stay high so we have Tipcord set up and ready to go.

rocks860

Trying to trade for a week at our timeshare up at eagles and the only thing available for the moment is 1/27-2/3. I was up last year mid March and got super lucky for that huge storm but any thoughts on whether this should be a decent week? I can’t remember what it was like last January last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HowieT2

Trying to trade for a week at our timeshare up at eagles and the only thing available for the moment is 1/27-2/3. I was up last year mid March and got super lucky for that huge storm but any thoughts on whether this should be a decent week? I can’t remember what it was like last January last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's superbowl weekend. I like it. sparse crowds and usually coming out of the january thaw.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Wednesday night, in addition to Ripcord, we were fired up on Murphy's, Lower Jester (from Carpy's Corner, down to Castlerock cutoff), and Lower OG (from the last Lower Jester cross-cut, down). So mid mountain is a work-in-progress, when temps permit.

WWF-VT

December 2nd and Ripcord and Spillsville were open and a lot of fun and Organgrinder in great shape. Unfortunately you have to ski Downspout...

cdskier

Really hard to complain about Ripcord, OG, Jester, Stein's, and Spring Fling all being open by December 2nd...looking forward to finally getting up there this week

djd66

December 2nd and Ripcord and Spillsville were open and a lot of fun and Organgrinder in great shape. Unfortunately you have to ski Downspout...

Yep, for Dec 2nd - to have all this terrain open is very impressive. I have to say, I love the new style guns. They are super quiet and put down some nice snow.

I am also a big fan of the RFID system. Works like a charm,... just wish they were placed 20' further back as I already witnessed people having issues and groups getting split up. Not much of a major issue today, but will be with a full corral.

WinS

Yep, for Dec 2nd - to have all this terrain open is very impressive. I have to say, I love the new style guns. They are super quiet and put down some nice snow.

I am also a big fan of the RFID system. Works like a charm,... just wish they were placed 20' further back as I already witnessed people having issues and groups getting split up. Not much of a major issue today, but will be with a full corral.

They really have to be that far back. If someone has an invalid pass we need room to exit that person. We looked at other installations and spoke to those who have had the gates and this seemed like the best set-up.

tumbler

Really cannot complain about what is open for first weekend in December. As they said in the snow report he earlire the better because it get skied off quick. Ripcord was nice Saturday, not so much Sunday. Very wet snow, hopefully it doesn't freeze solid. RFID gates are great as long as passes are in correct spot. The coral at Bravo needs some management with the singles line and the alternating but hopefully that will happen as the season picks up.

xwhaler

When do Mt Ellen $30 Thursdays go into effect? The website shows 1/4 as the first one so I am to assume nothing in December?