• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

vtskibum

Old Maps

OK, have scanned 3 of the 4 pieces. Strat, they are in your gmail address I got on your website..

Daevious (sp?). I don't know if you are reading these or if your website is current (lost the addy) but let me know if you want any of these scans.

for that matter, anyone else.....

besides they were given to me by a local so why not share

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
OK, all of VTSkibum's pieces have been uploaded and placed on the site, and I have added some new content as well, including a whole new page and extended information in the Combined page. Enjoy, and thanks again Skibum!

Treeskier

Price of fuel....what inpacts do you see?

I see several things. Ticket prices have to go up to cover fuel increases. Skier days go down since it will now cost double the gas to get here. Groomers will will do less as will snowmaking. It is going to be an interesting season.

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
So, latest construction news:
Apparently, they made the original clay brook hole too big, and had to fill it in - not sure whose fault that was. There is concrete poured, so we're off to some sort of start, but it's questionable whether they'll get something done before the winter... no sign of temporary buildings yet... lots of excavation going on at the bottom of the poma/village chair though... they did grade the previous steep slope quite nicely... yellow buildings are almost completely down, still a bit left... I counted 5 bulldozers yesterday, as well of lots of other heavy equipment, so there's definitely a lot of activity... oh, and for those who were wondering, the clay brook foundation site is actually out on the left side of the parking lot (when you're driving in), rather in front of the clocktower stairs... though it was going to be further over to the right myself, but I guess that's the plan...

Schusseur

Gee, just paid $3.21/gallon in lower Connecticut. 290 miles each way to the bush at 25 miles per gallon means going up each weekend is going to be pricey. Good thing I don't drive an SUV.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Strat said:
So, latest construction news:
Apparently, they made the original clay brook hole too big, and had to fill it in - not sure whose fault that was.

:roll: Sorry to hear that. Did you take drainage and other site work into account for the larger size?

There is concrete poured, so we're off to some sort of start, but it's questionable whether they'll get something done before the winter... no sign of temporary buildings yet... lots of excavation going on at the bottom of the poma/village chair though... they did grade the previous steep slope quite nicely... yellow buildings are almost completely down, still a bit left... I counted 5 bulldozers yesterday, as well of lots of other heavy equipment, so there's definitely a lot of activity... oh, and for those who were wondering, the clay brook foundation site is actually out on the left side of the parking lot (when you're driving in), rather in front of the clocktower stairs... though it was going to be further over to the right myself, but I guess that's the plan...

Some ways to go...thanks for the details! :beer:

Lostone

Again, I deal only in rumors, but the hole on the right, which now has (OK, maybe had, before today's rain. ) quite extensive landscaping is to be where the family center is to be. That is where the buildings are to be moved, and the Sprung thing will be for this season.

I was expecting that Alpine Options would be moving, as they had emptied it out, but now it appears Mtnlady's post about them moving the ski and ride and firs timer buildings was correct. (I hate those people who rely on facts) The Ski & ride bldgs are on blocks.

As to the hole being dug too big, that may not be so. They had snowmaking pipes running thru that area and have spent quite a bit of time digging up the old ones and installing the new ones.

Work continues. They were even out there today in sheets of rain.

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
Regarding the hole being too big:
That wasn't inference, that was rumor. Haha, yeah, heard it from a guy working at the Sugarbush Village condos desk a few days ago... so take it or leave it, I dunno, I'm sure it won't ever appear in a public release...

Treeskier

The walls that are being built are the for the inner court yard

The walls that where poured Friday are the inner court yard. Clay brook is to go around it. Into the parking lot.....into the clock tower area. 22 achers has been re-graded as with the area behind the snowmaking plant to make up for lost parking. No new woods trails this winter but I hear they may let us do some work for them......maybe over Home Owners? In the same vain as Mad River Work Days. Ski Yah.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: The walls that are being built are the for the inner court yard

Treeskier said:
The walls that where poured Friday are the inner court yard. Clay brook is to go around it. Into the parking lot.....into the clock tower area. 22 acres has been re-graded as with the area behind the snowmaking plant to make up for lost parking.

Sounds good...any pics?

No new woods trails this winter but I hear they may let us do some work for them......maybe over Home Owners? In the same vain as Mad River Work Days. Ski Yah.

:beer: Good idea...get out the loppers and handsaws!

castlerock

I'm in for homeowners.

Treeskier, are you (they actually) serious about this? Who would be organizing it?

Lostone

Even better available pix:

That danged treeskier stole my investigative report! :angry: :lol:

Yes, what shows in the pix is the back of the building, and only part of that. 8)

As to the hole being dub too big, that was deefinately pipe work. They had to redo where the snowmaking pipes went. They also had to redo where water and sewer pipes went. And in the process found still more pipes about which they'd had no clue. :roll:

They've moved most of the buildings for the family center to their new spot and are making good progress at working on the building.

Here are some of the more recent shots:

http://groups.msn.com/JimsSceneryPix/recentpix.msnw?Page=6

Page 5 has some earlier shots, including baselines. There are a few Claybrook shots on P 7 as well as a few sunrise on the mountain, shots. 8)

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
pics

thanks for the great pics. You probably did not notice but I love view of Warren Gap you got in pic #6370. L:eek:oks like you were standing at Gatehouse looking east.

I have often tried to point out WG to people but in the larger perspective it's hard for folks to see.

Tin Woodsman

castlerock said:
I'm in for homeowners.

Treeskier, are you (they actually) serious about this? Who would be organizing it?

I'll second that. Great idea. One I've been a fan of for a while. BTW, when is homeowner's weekend?

Treeskier

Good letter by Win on the Sugarbush Web site

Very nice letter by Win on the Sugarbush Web site today. Information is key. :)

Good to see they are not locking in a closing date!!

Snowmaking start date is much better.

Hopefully they will someday go back to opening for the Ski Swap weekend.

Ski Yah.

djspookman

yet another 'bush update-

While visiting my wifes office at North last night, we noticed some construction going on at the GMVS building-I think I heard somewhere that they're adding on to it, but we didn't go up to check it out as they were still working when we were there.

dave

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: Good letter by Win on the Sugarbush Web site

Treeskier said:
Very nice letter by Win on the Sugarbush Web site today. Information is key. :)

Good to see they are not locking in a closing date!!

Snowmaking start date is much better.

Hopefully they will someday go back to opening for the Ski Swap weekend.

Ski Yah.

Anyone mind posting it here for us to see?