• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

They were not hardos, they probably came on a bus judging by the skill and equipment of the few I saw "shredding" it. Hardos know that 4" on dirt is not enough to open the woods and lower birdland.

Yup...agree with this.

Hawk

Those people came from Egans. The problem is that the top of Egans like all official woods runs are not roped. They probably saw the trail and went not knowing how bad it would get.

smac75

There were way too many tracks coming out of the woods onto lower birdland given the conditions..

Folks are thirsty.. yikes.

A good many of those came from cutting over from Stein’s which was brutal on Sat.

ETA- lower tracks I meant was on Mall - cutting over from Stein's.

Last edited:

rtjcbrown

Aaah the memories of when we would cut tubing lanes in the base area at South at the end of the day for tubing. What a sh*t show that was. Tubing is not needed, every mountain has a vibe and Bush's is fine without tubing, a rink, or a petting zoo. The Sharc could use a lot of love but not a water park. You come to the Valley to ski not do a slip and slide.

But I come to the Valley far less than I'd like to due to the non-skiing members of my family. What is your answer to that besides TS, go somewhere else

cdskier

Those people came from Egans. The problem is that the top of Egans like all official woods runs are not roped. They probably saw the trail and went not knowing how bad it would get.

Although Reverse Traverse was closed as well (and roped I thought)...so they couldn't get to the entrance to Egans that way. I did see some tracks dropping into the woods off VHT, so they could have made it to Reverse Traverse and Egans that way.

Not that ropes stop people...I saw plenty of tracks going into Domino, Twist, and even a few down Moonshine.

smac75

Although Reverse Traverse was closed as well (and roped I thought)...so they couldn't get to the entrance to Egans that way. I did see some tracks dropping into the woods off VHT, so they could have made it to Reverse Traverse and Egans that way.

Not that ropes stop people...I saw plenty of tracks going into Domino, Twist, and even a few down Moonshine.

One guy ducked morningtstar rope as I was heading up NL. Guess who was one chair behind me? Mr. Smith himself. Classic.

djd66

I think a small non-cooled rink above the shark is doable and would have little to no impact on the skatium. But to put in a good size rink with boards, a warming hut to put your skates on, cooling pipes under the ice and a cooling tower to keep the ice frozen and a Zamboni would be more like the $500K and cost prohibitive. I skate a good amount still and like the idea but I would rather they upgrade the shark. The Skatium is fine for what it is. What I do not understand it why the golf course does not have groomed cross country trails. Unless it is seen as bad for Ole's and Blueberry Lake? The other thing they could do is a tubing park?

Living near the village I can see the interest in upgrading the one trail over there. I met some folks over there that are like the village improvement society. They have pushed for improvements but the mountain has only a small interest in these upgrades as they no longer have an interest in the real-estate. I think the only thing that will be implemented is the completion of that lighted walkway once the development is completed what shows on the master plan.

Hawk -

I know you are done with me, but your comments above are pretty much what I was referring to. They don't need to put in a rink with cooling pipes, Just a temporary rink with access to hot water so they can resurface as needed. I have plenty of friends that build these in their backyards every year and they are certainly not spending $50,000

Whenever I drive by the Gadd Brook condos - and they seem to be empty. I know a skating rink will not be the secret sauce to help sell these - but I have to believe the lack of non-skiing activities is certainly not helping the situation.

I also agree in regards to utilizing the golf course for groomed cross country trails and/or snow tubing. Additions like these would be very inexpensive to implement - but would add a lot in the overall "non-skiing" experience.

djd66

There were way too many tracks coming out of the woods onto lower birdland given the conditions..

Folks are thirsty.. yikes.

Riding up the lift Saturday, I thought the trail may be open - until I saw the closed rope at the top of BL. Ski shops must love it!

tumbler

There are plenty of rinks there you just need to go find them. This weekend it was on Steins.

tumbler

Hawk -

I know you are done with me, but your comments above are pretty much what I was referring to. They don't need to put in a rink with cooling pipes, Just a temporary rink with access to hot water so they can resurface as needed. I have plenty of friends that build these in their backyards every year and they are certainly not spending $50,000

Whenever I drive by the Gadd Brook condos - and they seem to be empty. I know a skating rink will not be the secret sauce to help sell these - but I have to believe the lack of non-skiing activities is certainly not helping the situation.

I also agree in regards to utilizing the golf course for groomed cross country trails and/or snow tubing. Additions like these would be very inexpensive to implement - but would add a lot in the overall "non-skiing" experience.

Building a crappy backyard rink and marketing it as a non-skiing amenity will only draw more criticism for it being half-assed at best.

There are two very nice cross country facilites in Warren already, don't need a 3rd.

One thing I can think of is to expand the existing shuttle service and have 2 going to Waterbury then Burlington in the morning and 2 returning late in the day/evening so people can easily get out of the Valley without driving.

cdskier

How about the weather this week? Fingers crossed...

The discussion this morning from NWS Burlington that I read was quite optimistic. Not only could we get some snow from the main event of the storm on Thursday, but there's also upslope snow potential lingering after the storm... Latest GFS and NAM both put a healthy amount of snow along the spine of the greens (including our area of VT this time!)

MorningWoods

Ya, you and I come to ski. But my sister in law, cousins, nieces and nephews and friends would like more. Hey, if they can go do things without me, then I don't have to listen to them whine when I blow them off. ;-)

I agree with this 100%. There is A LOT of people that come to Sugarbush and the Valley that would like to do more. Tear down the SHARC and build something legit. Not a Jay Peak deal, but something a heck of lot better than what's there today. I'm down with a economy rink, not a tubing park. I appreciate that WIN doesn't want to build a carnival, but there is a lot that can be done that doesn't even close to changing the vibe of the mountain.