• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

nhskier1969

I have actually always wanted to put on a pair of skates and go down and icy trail.

Then you would have loved the post from unofficialsugarbush facebook two years ago. They had ice skates and hockey sticks, playing around at the base of summit chair at Ellen.

WinS

Then you would have loved the post from unofficialsugarbush facebook two years ago. They had ice skates and hockey sticks, playing around at the base of summit chair at Ellen.

There was a day this year a few weeks back where is was almost the same. The groomers did a remarkable job of getting in back to all white with a couple of nights of grooming.

WinS

One guy ducked morningtstar rope as I was heading up NL. Guess who was one chair behind me? Mr. Smith himself. Classic.

Yup. Our top lift operator notified Patrol when he saw that. One of the features about the new RFID gates is that there are cameras that record everyone through the gates, so having the description of that guy in the green and black jacket we can go back and look at the photos at the Gatehouse lift and likely identify who it was if we have a photo in the system which we do for all passholders. Had be been hurt poaching that trail, it would have been very unfair and dangerous to have our patrollers skiing down to help him.

WinS

Question for Win: As Hawk mentioned, is there any consideration for a tubing park? My wife and kids would be a lot more agreeable to more frequent trips to MRV if you had a tubing hill. Seems like a minimal investment that could utilize existing snowmaking, and you could probably just move Tommy's Toy to serve as the tow.

If we had the right location for a Tubing park with the ability to make snow on it, it could make a lot of sense. But taking away an existing trail s not something we want to do.. Agree that we would love to have more of the non-skiing activities. It is all a question of priorities for CAPEX.

djd66

Yup. Our top lift operator notified Patrol when he saw that. One of the features about the new RFID gates is that there are cameras that record everyone through the gates, so having the description of that guy in the green and black jacket we can go back and look at the photos at the Gatehouse lift and likely identify who it was if we have a photo in the system which we do for all passholders. Had be been hurt poaching that trail, it would have been very unfair and dangerous to have our patrollers skiing down to help him.

Wow - good to know big brother is watching! :)

BenedictGomez

If Sugarbush / MRG get..... say... 10" from this storm, will that be enough to put all trails and the woods in play?

smac75

If Sugarbush / MRG get..... say... 10" from this storm, will that be enough to put all trails and the woods in play?

My question too! I'm all for 10" but i'm being greedy and saying I need those 10" on the ground by tomorrow night not by end of day Sat as SB conditions report today mentions.

ETA: I do think 10" will get them back to almost 100%. Should be enough to open Castlerock I would think!

BenedictGomez

My question too! I'm all for 10" but i'm being greedy and saying I need those 10" on the ground by tomorrow night not by end of day Sat as SB conditions report today mentions.

ETA: I do think 10" will get them back to almost 100%. Should be enough to open Castlerock I would think!

Not sure where their report is getting that, but the bulk of this storm will be over by tomorrow evening, and BTV has Sugarbush at 12"

https://www.weather.gov/images/btv/winter/StormTotalSnowWeb1.png

cdskier

Not sure where their report is getting that, but the bulk of this storm will be over by tomorrow evening, and BTV has Sugarbush at 12"

https://www.weather.gov/images/btv/winter/StormTotalSnowWeb1.png

I don't see anything in their snow report mentioning an amount or that they wouldn't receive said amount until end of Saturday. They say snow may continue into the weekend (which is true from remnants and upslope potential).

As for would 10" be enough...I suppose it depends on the density. Some of the stuff at the bottom of the mountain was pretty damn thin prior to this. I'd say 10" should be good for the top 2/3 of the mountain. The bottom 1/3 I'm not quite as sure about. It might be enough. Even so, I'd still tread very lightly in any lower elevation woods and trails.

smac75

It was on their conditions report at 6:30 this morning but hadn't been updated since 4pm yesterday.

Hawk

It is hard to say what the will open. Trails like Paradise, lift line, Rumble and sections of Middle Earth are really steep and were patches of ice with rocks and dirt showing last week. I would bet Spills, castle rock run, Domino and maybe lexi's and moonshine might open. The woods are totally sketchy and I myself would be really hesitant to go in.

djd66

It all depends on how eager you are to ski in the woods. There were people skiing birdland with 3 inches on top of nothing. If they get the 15-30" that SCWB was talking about yesterday (over the next 3 days) that could be a different story

Los

It is hard to say what the will open. Trails like Paradise, lift line, Rumble and sections of Middle Earth are really steep and were patches of ice with rocks and dirt showing last week. I would bet Spills, castle rock run, Domino and maybe lexi's and moonshine might open. The woods are totally sketchy and I myself would be really hesitant to go in.

I think Mt Ellen might be faring better than Lincoln peak. This past Sunday the woods between rim run and looking good skied pretty darn good all things considered. And while I didint go in them, the bravinator woods looked great, at least from where I stood at the drop in. All to say that I think 10 inches would solidly reopen the top 2/3rds of mt Ellen (to borrow cdskiers fraction). But yeah, lower third will remain sketchy on the natural trails and in the woods. Walt’s and semi tough were almost completely barren this past weekend.

cdskier

FWIW, Spills and Paradise are already reopened (not saying I would ski them yet...but they're open)