• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Tin Woodsman

Lostone said:
Taht teraced part is gone. It now slopes from the top, evenly to the lodge. They're pulling lots more dirt from there.

I should have a few pix up tomorrow.

They are making progress, tho. :)

Looks extra messy as they are working in a bunch of places at the same time. It will be interesting.

I was wondering about that. Even though the hill as we've known it is gone, there's still a pretty big slope there. If they want to accomplish their goal of enabling increased skier traffic above the lodge (it presumably won't be possible in the new pedestrian village area below the lodge) then they're going to have to remove a lot more dirt.

Lostone

A day late and $.53 short?

Got the pix for the latest Claybrook shots up.

Made a new album for the Claybrook series. Will go back later and move some of the earlier shots there, but for now, the latest shots will be... :idea: easy to find. :lol:

Claybrook Pix

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Check it out..More on there web page.

a8f2deba.jpg

smootharc

Funny little magazine called "Hooked on the Outdoors"....

....which I picked up at B&N last night has a "regional skiing" section in the back, and for the East it mentions all about Slide Brook basin and skiing the 'Bush. Just a one pager with a few stock suggestions and nice photo.

Mentions the BC at Sugarbush is unique in the east and compares it to the only thing like Western style BC in the East. Not sure if that's true, but a nice mention.

http://www.hookedontheoutdoors.com/artman/article_1070.shtml

The link only goes to a page that mentions the section on "Regional Highlights" on page 70. No click through to the actual text and image.

Lostone

I didn't see anything there that would entice me to give them $9.95. :-?

That is a waste of a website.

They should at least have synopses of some of the articles? :roll:

smootharc

Hey, take it up with their webmaster....

Lostone said:
I didn't see anything there that would entice me to give them $9.95. :-? That is a waste of a website. They should at least have synopses of some of the articles? :roll:

....I just report the news. Though, remember, I'm the sucker that paid I think $4.99 for an issue of the thing at B&N, but I've got a clip file on the valley going, and like to have that kind of stuff. I was tempted to just pull out the one page at the store, but visions of burly security guys swooping in stopped me....

:wink:

Lostone

I wasn't complaining about you linking to their site. It was just a critique of the site.

Seemed that if you wanted to to make a site to sell something, you'd want to have something on it to draw people in?

smootharc

Hey, Lo, definitely a dead end site....

Lostone said:
I wasn't complaining about you linking to their site. It was just a critique of the site. Seemed that if you wanted to to make a site to sell something, you'd want to have something on it to draw people in?

Every industry seems to have some firms that put up sites like that. Lots of promise, but zilch in useful content. Frustrating for us....and probably not too effective for them. As you say, why bother.

Castlerock chair running today with 42" of fresh ?

Treeskier

Concreate is growing. Wind took out a lot of trees

Claybrook is growing.

Wind storm there yesturday that took out a lot of trees. Hopefully not to many on the trails.

See yah homeowners.

BNR

Phew!

Just discovered this thread and read the whole lot in one go. It should probably have a warning that doing this will seriously impair your work rate...

Glad to see another Sugarbush forum (sort of) after the disappearance of RSN and the Mad River Forums.

Not being able to get there too often myself (it's rather expensive...), it's interesting to see those pics of the Clay Brook construction. They're certainly not doing that by halves! I hope it's successful, but I'm a little unsure about it. I actually really liked the way LP used to be! Sure, you had to walk to the rental place, and the lodges got SERIOUSLY crowded at weekends, but it had a real charm to it, and that's what keeps me coming back there. I do hope they don't end up turning Sugarbush into Killington, though. In comparison to Sugarbush, Killington seems a little charmless - you go up that access road, and it's full of stop lights and tack shacks and stuff. It just doesn't seem like the 'real' Vermont to me - more of an industrial skiing factory! Sugarbush, meanwhile, DOES feel like the real thing, and I really hope it continues to do so.

Still, I guess I'll just have to wait and see what it all turns out like. I wouldn't like to try and run a ski area myself, and if Clay Brook is what it takes to be successful, then so be it. Hope to make it there in January...

Lostone

Tho I'm sure they'd like the K-Mart money...

I don't think anyone is trying or hoping to turn the bush into something like that. :roll:

Many from their customer base have been K-Mart shoppers in the past, and most find that to be nothing like Vermont.

daevious

Website
bush.daevious.com
SRO-
I don't think I ever contemplated a move to Burlington--that may've been somebody else--but yes, I am now a naturalized citizen of the Mad River Valley. Very nice here this morning:

djspookman

daevious said:
SRO-
I don't think I ever contemplated a move to Burlington--that may've been somebody else--but yes, I am now a naturalized citizen of the Mad River Valley. Very nice here this morning:

nice "valley view" daevious! The drive in this morning (6:30) was pretty fogged in from German Flats to Duxbury.. you must have taken that pic later on in the morning!

dave

madskier6

Here are a few photos of the construction at Lincoln Peak base area.

WOW! Those pictures are great. What a gorgeous day it was in the Valley yesterday. Thanks for sharing those. :D

Does anyone know whether all the Community Day festivities will be held at Lincoln Peak (i.e. BBQ and band(s))? I know that they'll be doing chairlift rides from both LP and Mt. Ellen but it does not appear from those pictures that there is sufficient space with the construction going on to have all those activites at LP.

Looking forward to being there next weekend. :beer:

noski

djspookman said:
daevious said:
SRO-

nice "valley view" daevious! The drive in this morning (6:30) was pretty fogged in from German Flats to Duxbury.. you must have taken that pic later on in the morning!dave

Daevious- since it seems you get up nice and early, head up Bragg Hill and check out that early morning sun shining on Mt Ellen some crisp fall morning. It was clear and blue sky at 1800' this morning, but spook is right, it was pretty foggy at the valley floor.

noski

madskier6 said:
Here are a few photos of the construction at Lincoln Peak base area.

WOW! Those pictures are great. What a gorgeous day it was in the Valley yesterday. Thanks for sharing those. :D

Does anyone know whether all the Community Day festivities will be held at Lincoln Peak (i.e. BBQ and band(s))? I know that they'll be doing chairlift rides from both LP and Mt. Ellen but it does not appear from those pictures that there is sufficient space with the construction going on to have all those activites at LP.

Looking forward to being there next weekend. :beer:
http://www.sugarbush.com/summer/activities/detail_events/communityweekend.htm Try this.