• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

nhskier1969

I hope all who came this weekend a great time. I certainly did. We received more snow last night than the forecast so the snowpack is now good enough to allow more volume on Castlerock so we are scheduling the lift to run tomorrow and through the week as well as Slidebrook. The reports I heard were that SB was skiing as well as any day this winter even with some sketchy areas still, but I did not get in myself. Let's hope the forecast holds. March is looking really nice.

Mtn skied great all weekend. Non existent crowds today at Lincoln Peak. The new snow last night seemed pretty deep up top. Photo from around Paradise

IMG_2214.jpg

cdskier

Mtn skied great all weekend. Non existent crowds today at Lincoln Peak. The new snow last night seemed pretty deep up top. Photo from around Paradise

Seriously...great weekend! Although I thought today at Lincoln was "crowded" for a Sunday. Definitely seemed deeper than 6" on a good part of the mountain today.

jimmck

Seriously, a fun day out there. As was started, never really crowded at Lincoln Peak.

Fourth chair at Heaven's Gate this morning. The subsequent run down Ripcord was serious fun.

Found some really deep pockets on Organgrinder and Sunrise.

The hike over to Castlerock was worth it. Middle Earth was my pick of the day.
773b6a446991001fd521ddc2dea29f63.jpg
62fa67b4d3df55358fa817869ea8da16.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I'm psyched to be spending probably 3 days at Sugarbush this week! I've only skied one day there and I was blown away...there's so much to explore I can't wait! And could there be a better week this winter???? Some sun tomorrow morning and then snow until...umm...well...who knows!!

I'm also doing a day at Stowe and a day at MRG.

rocks860

I'm psyched to be spending probably 3 days at Sugarbush this week! I've only skied one day there and I was blown away...there's so much to explore I can't wait! And could there be a better week this winter???? Some sun tomorrow morning and then snow until...umm...well...who knows!!

I'm also doing a day at Stowe and a day at MRG.

I’ve skied there my entire life and I’m still not bored with it at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djd66

Some of the best skiing of the year for me. 2 laps on Castle Rock and many other runs - my legs are fried!

djd66

13 year old boys assaulted by some mid 50 year old guy this weekend. I heard about this 3rd from some friends. I heard the patrol was involved and they pulled the guy's pass. Sounds like a real sick puppy to beat up a 13 year old boy. Anyone else hear anything about this? I hope the guy who did this was arrested and has to spend time in jail.

tumbler

13 year old boys assaulted by some mid 50 year old guy this weekend. I heard about this 3rd from some friends. I heard the patrol was involved and they pulled the guy's pass. Sounds like a real sick puppy to beat up a 13 year old boy. Anyone else hear anything about this? I hope the guy who did this was arrested and has to spend time in jail.

Yes- He started screaming at a Blazer group that cut the line at Bravo in the ski school line. His beligerence crossed the line when he started hurling profanity and insults at pre-teen and early teen kids and the kids defended themselves. The kids should have ignored him but it happened.

Hawk

Wow. That is so out of control. I Didn't see this but I am surprised that more people didn't get involved and defended the kids. Sometimes I can't understand what comes over people.

djd66

Yes- He started screaming at a Blazer group that cut the line at Bravo in the ski school line. His beligerence crossed the line when he started hurling profanity and insults at pre-teen and early teen kids and the kids defended themselves. The kids should have ignored him but it happened.

I had heard it went beyond profanity and he followed the boys up on the MTN and physically assaulted them. Fricken crazy!!

cdskier

I had heard it went beyond profanity and he followed the boys up on the MTN and physically assaulted them. Fricken crazy!!

Wow. Even with just the profanity I'd still ban him permanently from the mountain. No need for that at all ever.

GregoryIsaacs

Was there this weekend. Not surprised by this. I've never been to a mountain that has such high tension over getting a couple inches of fresh before others at any cost. It almost takes the fun out of it. Ill save my rat racing for the real deep stuff

cdskier

Was there this weekend. Not surprised by this. I've never been to a mountain that has such high tension over getting a couple inches of fresh before others at any cost. It almost takes the fun out of it. Ill save my rat racing for the real deep stuff

I didn't experience this at all...but I also went directly to Mt Ellen on Saturday morning knowing it would be quieter. Was on the lift a couple minutes after 8 and never had anyone in a rush to beat me anywhere. Sunday morning I was at Lincoln Peak. There was an initial line at Super Bravo of people waiting for it to open, but it wasn't that long and was gone by 8:05 when I was done tightening my boots. Never felt any of this tension you mention. But maybe it is also because I'm ok with not being absolutely first in line.

WinS

Yes. I am very aware of what happened and know the parents well. We have never seen anything like this here at Sugarbush. It was not a passholder, and his ticket was taken away and he is hot listed. Our patroller was right there and took immediate and effective action. It happened so quickly that it would have been hard for anyone to step in the middle of this. No one was injured fortunately and the parents coincidentally were in Allyn's and came over quickly. We tracked the guy down on the slopes, got his name and address and met with the boys, their coach and the father of the boy who has attacked. He did not want to press charges and that was his decision as well as the parents of the other boy who came to the defense of his friend and was thrown to the ground. Fortunately, 99.9% of Sugarbush skiers and riders are wonderful people and this is something hopefully we will never see again.

I think it is a lesson though to all of us. Civility keeps a civilization together. While we all can get frustrated and mad at others, there is a right way of behaving and then they are unacceptable ways which can not be tolerated. Attacking a 14 year old kid is disgraceful and cowardly too.

Last edited:

mikec142

Personally, I've never experienced anything like this. Granted, I'm not one who is going to stand in line for the first chair, but my experience is that there is a laid back, friendly vibe at Sugarbush that I appreciate and is one of the reasons I frequent Sugarbush.

djd66

Yes. I am very aware of what happened and know the parents well. We have never seen anything like this here at Sugarbush. It was not a passholder, and his ticket was taken away and he is hot listed. Our patroller was right there and took immediate and effective action. It happened so quickly that it would have been hard for anyone to step in the middle of this. No one was injured fortunately and the parents coincidentally were in Allyn's and came over quickly. We tracked the guy down on the slopes, got his name and address and met with the boys, their coach and the father of the boy who has attacked. He did not want to press charges and that was his decision as well as the parents of the other boy who came to the defense of his friend and was thrown to the ground. Fortunately, 99.9% of Sugarbush skiers and riders are wonderful people and this is something hopefully we will never see again.

I think it is a lesson though to all of us. Civility keeps a civilization together. While we all can get frustrated and mad at others, there is a right way of behaving and then they are unacceptable ways which can not be tolerated. Attacking a 14 year old kid is disgraceful and cowardly too.

Thanks for the follow up Win. If it were my kids,... I would not have been so understanding. Quite honestly- someone like this should have been charged - I would not want to know what else he was capable of.

GregoryIsaacs

Personally, I've never experienced anything like this. Granted, I'm not one who is going to stand in line for the first chair, but my experience is that there is a laid back, friendly vibe at Sugarbush that I appreciate and is one of the reasons I frequent Sugarbush.

Just read a couple pages back. The whole Blazers vs. Bush hardos is very real. and sad.