• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

rocks860

Some pictures from yesterday
7be200fb557cd70fcdffe76c9af7183f.jpg

Top of paradise

865074980b62b1bbb17a5c2c1925436b.jpg

Paradise

8a7aa7d2cb832f379620a077799f258d.jpg

Semi tough

939522dc9b008549438553b1a14d6528.jpg

View from the top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikec142

So jealous...pix look amazing. Planning on being there on 4/1 and 4/2. Hoping for the best.

Hawk

This weekend was pretty good. No lines to really speak of, mostly sunny and every trail open. Contrary to some reports, there was some good soft, chalky and powdery conditions to be found. It was all about the sun aspect. The temps from mid mountain up did not reach above freezing all last week especially on the north facing slopes. Places like Egans, Lews, Spills, the Right side of Ripchord, and anything up off of upper organgrinder or Jester were that great chalky snow. On the other hand you had places like North Linx, Castlerock Run, Middle Earth and anything that faces the sun, that you really wanted to wait until after lunch to ski the good corn. Yup corn season is starting. Looks like maybe a little snow this week and then the warmth moves in.

cdskier

I skied Friday-Sunday. Friday was really nice and the mountain was empty. Steins on Friday was excellent. They really had the forecast quite wrong on Saturday and it was nice to see the sun out almost all day.

My goal is to ski Friday-Saturday this weekend so I can be home for Easter on Sunday...but we'll see what happens with the weather. Still hearing after the warmup this week that we go back to more winter like weather in early April. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I could go for a little more winter before we get too springy!

tumbler

It was a fun weekend. I think it will be the last one of it feeling like winter and skiing anything you want, but for late March I cannot complain. Lots of bumps skied and some stiff legs this morning.

smac75

Deal alert: Bluestone customer appreciation week coming up - 1/2 gift cards next Tue-Sat. We stocked up and used all season long!

SIKSKIER

Surprised to hear the Bush had corn snow.I was at Cannon right through yesterday and the whole mt was still winter snow and they are almost exactly the same northerly latitude and only 50 miles apart.

Tin Woodsman

Cannon & Sugarbush are farther apart than 50 miles.
It's 61 miles as a the crow flies, and at the same latitude. It's a distinction w/o a difference.

The big difference is that the OP referred to terrain in the Castelrock, North Lynx and Gate House pods, all of which face South to some degree. With the late March sun angle, that turns to corn pretty quickly when it's sunny.

KustyTheKlown

It's 61 miles as a the crow flies, and at the same latitude. It's a distinction w/o a difference.

The big difference is that the OP referred to terrain in the Castelrock, North Lynx and Gate House pods, all of which face South to some degree. With the late March sun angle, that turns to corn pretty quickly when it's sunny.

was actually kinda crazy how bad bear mountain and the natural woods off of sassafras skied this past Saturday compared to the more northerly aspects (anarchy-Julio-Juanita). night and day. mid winter between superstar and k-1. full spring on bear with rotten snow.

Jcb890

was actually kinda crazy how bad bear mountain and the natural woods off of sassafras skied this past Saturday compared to the more northerly aspects (anarchy-Julio-Juanita). night and day. mid winter between superstar and k-1. full spring on bear with rotten snow.
Loon was odd on Sunday. The sun came out and things started to soften, but then it seemed like almost instantly, everything that was still shaded turned chalky and was hardening back up. Very odd and quickly changing conditions.

ducky

Mt Ellen awesome and soft everywhere. Yellow or black wax absolutely necessary, don't scrape. FIS, BD, Bravo, Exterm, Inverness, yes, ...woods not so much and snow a bit tired. Get it while you can.

Boxtop Willie

Skied MEllen from 8 to 10 this morning. Probably bailed too early, summit was socked in and I hate flat light...and then there was the work thing dragging me off the hill. Many have told me the rest of the day skied great. Still great coverage. Ditto on the previous wax comment. High speed groomers were a lot of fun. Bumps good with very little litter in the troughs. I'm back tomorrow after the immature snow event in the morning.

Hawk

I am here at Sugarbush this morning. It poured overnight and continues now. Looking at the radar it looks like rain most of the day with breaks. I plan to go out on the next break and then ski until I am soaked and then go do some errands. Snow should be soft but it looks like some or most of the natural terrain took a big hit. Hopefully it is OK as far as coverage.

flakeydog

Sorry to see Castlerock and other natural trails go. Can anyone over at North verify Black Diamond, Exterminator, and Bravo conditions. They all had pretty good cover, especially Black Diamond and were even open prior to the recent snows. I am hoping this is for preservation perhaps? though with North closing Sunday I would really love to have those be on the farewell tour.

On another note, noticed up on Castlerock last week that the "Castlerock"and "Lower Castlerock" signs were missing and/or appeared to be painted over. Once at the Castlerock/Cotillion intersection and again down at the Lower Castlerock/Bailout intersection. What's up with that?

mikec142

Really hoping to be able to enjoy Castlerock this Sunday and Monday or at least be able to hike over...

Hawk

Rain stopped at 11 yesterday and skiing was really good but sticky as suggested on here. I think they closed all the natural trails yesterday to save them for the weekend. The snow report indicates that this morning. It is 29 at the condo this morning so firm and fast to start on groomers is what we have. I think I will head up to North Links first before lunch for the corn.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Very firm and fast this morning (8am). Softened up a couple hours later and the harvest began. Great coverage seen on Black Diamond. Not sure about Exterm or Bravo but they were all "back in play" today. Lots of people out enjoying the day.

cdskier

Rain stopped at 11 yesterday and skiing was really good but sticky as suggested on here. I think they closed all the natural trails yesterday to save them for the weekend. The snow report indicates that this morning. It is 29 at the condo this morning so firm and fast to start on groomers is what we have. I think I will head up to North Links first before lunch for the corn.

I went out Friday at 11 as well after the rain stopped. Most of the open trails did ski pretty well (although some fresh wax on my skis certainly would have helped me). Pretty substantial snow loss though compared to last weekend. It was also fun losing power for 3 hours Friday evening due to someone driving off the road into the pole by the basketball court just past the stop sign. I had just gotten out of the shower and was about to relax and watch a movie!

Very firm and fast this morning (8am). Softened up a couple hours later and the harvest began. Great coverage seen on Black Diamond. Not sure about Exterm or Bravo but they were all "back in play" today. Lots of people out enjoying the day.

Firm was an understatement. Unfortunately due to family Easter obligations I had to leave early afternoon today to head back to NJ so had no choice but to ski early today. As of around noon when I left Mt Ellen the softening had made it most of the way up Cruiser. Elbow was also softening nicely too even earlier on. Never had a chance to ski any of the bump runs though as they still seemed pretty firm when I had to leave. I bet this afternoon softened up pretty nicely though with the beautiful full sun we had today.