• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

HowieT2

it was pretty sweet yesterday with the fresh snow. so was moonshine fwiw. and paradise. and cr run. and snowball.....

HowieT2

Thanks for attending to Ripcord! Has been sad looking at that .. especially with the buff wind blown under the lift.
Yesterday was well beyond wildest expectations. Pockets of Pow interspersed everywhere.
Baton down for a return to snow cycle :snow:

Double Cheers !

hopefully once the repairs are done and excavator is out of there, they will groom the entrance to paradise. It is particularly harrowing even for me and I've done it a few times before.

cdskier

maybe Win can back me up with some real stats, but anecdotally, my observation over the last decade is that the first weekend after new years is usually light. not many vacationers right after the holiday.

Even some of the "regular" cars that I see in my condo parking lot every weekend weren't there. I tried to recall anecdotally from my own memory, but it is a bit fuzzy. Doesn't help that how the holiday falls, what the weather is, etc all impacts it too on a year to year basis.

tumbler

maybe Win can back me up with some real stats, but anecdotally, my observation over the last decade is that the first weekend after new years is usually light. not many vacationers right after the holiday.

I agree with this and the weekend before Xmas is usually light on traffic too. For a weekend warrior it was fun yesterday skiing a mini pow day with no crowd. Felt like midweek.

WWF-VT

it was pretty sweet yesterday with the fresh snow. so was moonshine fwiw. and paradise. and cr run. and snowball.....

Mt Ellen was also very good...first runs of the year on Walt's and Semi Tough. Hammerhead and Tumbler much better with new snow. Very windy on Lower Elbow but a lot of snow blew in deep on skier's left on Lower Exterminator.

WinS

Yes, the weeks and weekends in between Xmas and MLK are usually light, but this past week was busier than normal and a lot better than last year when it was frigid. Saturday we had around 6,300 visits and Sunday 5,300 but when we have as much open terrain and most lifts other than SB running, it does not appear that busy.

Ripcord was fixed and the HG trails will be open but delayed a bit to get everything off and cleaned up. That is where we will make snow next.

WinS

hopefully once the repairs are done and excavator is out of there, they will groom the entrance to paradise. It is particularly harrowing even for me and I've done it a few times before.

Will take a look but I do not think we could get a groomer down there and back up. More snow should help a lot.

cdskier

I'd say that a difficult entrance helps keep people who shouldn't be there out...but a post I saw on Facebook from some guy during the Christmas holiday proves otherwise. The guy literally posted from the Nancy Hanks Peak summit marker saying he started going down Paradise but didn't want to ski a bump run so when he got to the top of the turn and saw how the rest of the trail was still bumpy he started going into "the path in the woods following some other tracks". He was asking on Facebook whether he should turn around or where he would end up if he kept going. I'd be worried that grooming that entrance and making it look too easy would just result in more people like him going down a trail they shouldn't be on in the first place.

Anyway, like Win said, I'm sure some fresh snow will help.

tumbler

Congrats on the Ripcord fix- couldn't have been easy. Hopefully it holds until spring. Years ago we would take a land gun and shoot it down the entrance to paradise to try and fill in the random bumps

benski

Congrats on the Ripcord fix- couldn't have been easy. Hopefully it holds until spring. Years ago we would take a land gun and shoot it down the entrance to paradise to try and fill in the random bumps

There is plenty of snow, they are just really poorly formed. they need to start over at the top, in a huge way.

Hawk

It's paradise. It's supposed to hard. Don't groom it under any circumstances. Howie and Ben, you guys both ski it well enough. Stop being so lazy. LOL

KustyTheKlown

I'd say that a difficult entrance helps keep people who shouldn't be there out...but a post I saw on Facebook from some guy during the Christmas holiday proves otherwise. The guy literally posted from the Nancy Hanks Peak summit marker saying he started going down Paradise but didn't want to ski a bump run so when he got to the top of the turn and saw how the rest of the trail was still bumpy he started going into "the path in the woods following some other tracks". He was asking on Facebook whether he should turn around or where he would end up if he kept going. I'd be worried that grooming that entrance and making it look too easy would just result in more people like him going down a trail they shouldn't be on in the first place.

Anyway, like Win said, I'm sure some fresh snow will help.

that post was insane. that ski the east facebook group is really full of some full on jerrytown gapers.

smuggler's skied incredibly on saturday. stratton skied miserably on sunday.

i'm probably going to be at sugarbush this saturday for my first visit of the season. can't wait.

cdskier

it was deleted in shame. people went to town on him.

It was hysterical...and yet so sad at the same time. I had completely forgotten about it until the suggestion of grooming the Paradise entrance made me think of people like that being enticed to go ski Paradise.

HowieT2

It's paradise. It's supposed to hard. Don't groom it under any circumstances. Howie and Ben, you guys both ski it well enough. Stop being so lazy. LOL

I'm just talking about the very top. not the whole traverse but right off the intersection with ripcord.
Like I said and you know very well, I've skied it a thousand times if Ive skied it once. I can handle it. But saturday, there were a bunch of people in front of me and as I went to pass them, one of them turned into me and I had to slide to avoid contact. 'nothing worse than a bruise to my ego but still think it best to groom it fresh. It will get bumped up in no time.

MorningWoods

The "Sugarbush Thread"

I'm just talking about the very top. not the whole traverse but right off the intersection with ripcord.
Like I said and you know very well, I've skied it a thousand times if Ive skied it once. I can handle it. But saturday, there were a bunch of people in front of me and as I went to pass them, one of them turned into me and I had to slide to avoid contact. 'nothing worse than a bruise to my ego but still think it best to groom it fresh. It will get bumped up in no time.

That section of moguls has always been odd shaped. And it is definitely a good deterrent for people who don’t belong there. Always took it as part of the deal, but howie is right, It’s worse than usual. Which I have also seen before. I’ve never seen it in the summer. Is it just the ground? 25 yards in and usually it’s totally fine. Like it is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mfi

that post was insane. that ski the east facebook group is really full of some full on jerrytown gapers.

smuggler's skied incredibly on saturday. stratton skied miserably on sunday.

i'm probably going to be at sugarbush this saturday for my first visit of the season. can't wait.
Suprised you didn't go further north Sunday..Stowe and Jay got pounded.
oh well, this weekend should be very good. Stowe, SB and maybe Jay.

KustyTheKlown

Suprised you didn't go further north Sunday..Stowe and Jay got pounded.
oh well, this weekend should be very good. Stowe, SB and maybe Jay.

skiing noVT on a sunday involves a 6+ hour drive home. i tend to ski noVT saturday, then drive south to rutland or manchester for a cheap hotel, and ski soVT on a sunday.

WinS

We had a visit from Glen Plake and his wife Kimberly. What great people and fantastic skiers. Did some runs down Paradise, CR, Cotillion, Middle Earth and the toilet bowl with them and some others. Couldn’t believe how nice everything was and how deep the fresh powder in the woods was. Then, on the runout back to the base I hit a dip and launched. As I caught myself, I tweaked my hamstring. Hadn’t done that since soccer days. Oh well, since there is a lot of season to go, I am going to be smart and miss today’s powder but it is sure looking good on the mountain. Dress warmly this weekend and enjoy our new snow.