• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

yea she's emailed them a few times and gotten a surprisingly snarky response each time. I told her to try calling... humans are usually not so douchey face to face or on the phone

Just seems like a really shitty move on their part, bad customer relations and turning away potential future $ in a potentially disasterous year?!?!?
This kind of thing sticks with people and as a young adult starting a family she'll probably look elsewhere for future trips

Well I think one other question is how does this compare to what other resorts are doing with this situation? I know Magic previously stated they would do pretty much exactly what I thought was a good idea (allow unused 4-packs to be used from 3/15 this year onwards). Although Magic's end of season is usually much earlier than SB so I wouldn't think there would be too many of those left at Magic. Any unused Ski VT passes from last year were simply told "too bad". K gave vouchers of the value of any unused K-tickets which was pretty nice (although I can't recall if they had a similar product available this season, so it may not really be an even exchange for a day of skiing this coming season and could still end up costing someone to use it). Who else sold pre-paid non-date specific lift tickets and how did they handle unused ones?

Sully

yea she's emailed them a few times and gotten a surprisingly snarky response each time. I told her to try calling... humans are usually not so douchey face to face or on the phone

Just seems like a really shitty move on their part, bad customer relations and turning away potential future $ in a potentially disasterous year?!?!?
This kind of thing sticks with people and as a young adult starting a family she'll probably look elsewhere for future trips
Agreed. We bought two sets of Quad packs to ski March 14 and 15. Conditions were decent. We were a bit on the fence about skiing because we were just learning about the virus. Way before masks, etc.
Received an email from Winn on the 13th encouraging everyone to come up (the “I’ll be skiing with my grandkids” email). We ski’d the14th and then they closed that night leaving us with the unused Quad pack (about $400 - I forget the actual amount).

We are from Mass, considered skiing Thanksgiving but with the travel restrictions and the fact that they are not open (not to mention spending another grand on lodging), I am pretty upset that Sugarbush won’t extend the 12/24 deadline. I’ve called and gotten no where. I’ve even considered some type of small claims action just to get a rational explanation for the heist

Happy to unload at a fraction if anyone is looking for a pre-12/24 deal.

Attachments

• 583B8F5F-8293-4130-B53F-B6CCA210C8CC.jpeg
    583B8F5F-8293-4130-B53F-B6CCA210C8CC.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3

Sully

To be fair, people had about 17 weeks last year to use them and only had 6 or so weeks left in the season at the point they closed (if you wanted to take the risk that the snow would last that long). And let's be honest...most people last year that still had quad packs left by mid-March were probably planning to use them within the next few weeks after that. I doubt very many are typically saved until late April.

Personally I probably would have allowed leftover quad packs from last year to be used this year anytime from mid-March on to make it truly comparable. But at the same time I wouldn't have found requiring them to be used by 12/24 if they opened on time and things were normal to be unreasonable. With a delayed opening and covid still going strong, I can see the argument that maybe they should reconsider (And who knows...maybe they still will. The current decision being talked about was made quite a while ago. And with everything else going on right now revisiting that decision probably hasn't exactly been a priority up to this point).
Right...but I bought them specifically for the weekend of March 14th. Agree with the rest of your statement though.

djd66

Personally, I buy season passes and spent close to $4000 on them. My season got cut short too and I am not able to use my 2020 pass for the 2021 season. I don't get the idea of buying 4 packs to use at the end of March - when there is a high probability of the season being cut short or limited skiing. Why wouldn't you just buy a spring pass for $200?

WWF-VT

Stop, only giving people till 12/24 to use the quad pack is total BS. That is horrible guest service. They won’t even open to Thanksgiving weekend so you think 4 weeks to use the quad pack is reasonable?

Yes that's reasonable. Sugarbush sold Quad Packs in November with the expectation that they would be used last season. You had from opening day on November 23rd to March 14th when the mountain closed to use the transferable, unrestricted tickets. It's a good gesture to extend the use of Quad Packs until 12/24.

Sully

Personally, I buy season passes and spent close to $4000 on them. My season got cut short too and I am not able to use my 2020 pass for the 2021 season. I don't get the idea of buying 4 packs to use at the end of March - when there is a high probability of the season being cut short or limited skiing. Why wouldn't you just buy a spring pass for $200?
Mid-March, not end of. At any rate, we have skiid the ‘Bush that weekend for 20 years and have never had a problem. No reason to buy a more expensive spring pass as we ski that one weekend and are from out if state. This wasn’t a heat wave and there was never a ‘high chance’ of the season being cut short. They historically close in May 616CE8CA-7BAA-4D07-8CF1-07FA71AEE6B7.png

Last edited:

gorgonzola

Mid-March, not end of. At any rate, we have skiid the ‘Bush that weekend for 20 years and have never had a problem. No reason to buy a more expensive spring pass as we ski that one weekend and are from out if state. This wasn’t a heat wave and there was never a ‘high chance’ of the season being cut short.
^ this, she and her husband have been going with a group of friends on or around St. Patty's for the last few years. I joined them two years ago and ski'd a nice storm (damn I need to lower those elbows!)

Attachments

• SB3 (2).jpg
    SB3 (2).jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 8

HowieT2

What does it mean that the quad packs need to be redeemed by 12/24? Can the tickets be used after 12/24?

In fairness, this is going to be a challenging season for all ski resorts to say the least. Personally, I have tickets left over from last season and I don't think I had any right to expect they would honor those tickets this season at all. Certainly not their fault the mountain closed early.

Sully

^ this, she and her husband have been going with a group of friends on or around St. Patty's for the last few years. I joined them two years ago and ski'd a nice storm (damn I need to lower those elbows!)
Yep - St Patty’s day tradition for us, too.

KustyTheKlown

What does it mean that the quad packs need to be redeemed by 12/24? Can the tickets be used after 12/24?

In fairness, this is going to be a challenging season for all ski resorts to say the least. Personally, I have tickets left over from last season and I don't think I had any right to expect they would honor those tickets this season at all. Certainly not their fault the mountain closed early.

it means they need to be used by 12/24. they only carried over for early season pre x-mas.

i agree that this is more than fair. global pandemic shut the season down. you win some you lose some. had all year to use the tickets.

i prefer magic's policy tho, of the tickets becoming valid after 3/14. my magic quad pack was destined for one of the last weekends in march, so it also was unused. this year i have a magic sunday pass in my quiver, and an indy pass, and 4 late season magic any-days, so i can string together at least 6 fully magic weekends, which is nice.

i think magic and sugarbush are both being reasonable, but it would also be reasonable for them to say 'sorry no luck'

Sully

it means they need to be used by 12/24. they only carried over for early season pre x-mas.

i agree that this is more than fair. global pandemic shut the season down. you win some you lose some. had all year to use the tickets.

i prefer magic's policy tho, of the tickets becoming valid after 3/14. my magic quad pack was destined for one of the last weekends in march, so it also was unused. this year i have a magic sunday pass in my quiver, and an indy pass, and 4 late season magic any-days, so i can string together at least 6 fully magic weekends, which is nice.

i think magic and sugarbush are both being reasonable, but it would also be reasonable for them to say 'sorry no luck'
I don’t know if it’s fair. We bought quad passes specifically for March 14 and 15. They closed weeks earlier than usual, have been closed for the past 249 days (since March 15), are still closed and yet we only have 36 days until the quad passes expire. On top of that, Winn sent us all an email on March 13th encouraging us to buy tickets. If I was a local, OK - might be able to squeeze a day in December but we are not (plus 14 day quarantines).

Attachments

• AD57BC0E-AFFF-46D6-BE7F-9E884795FBC1.png
    AD57BC0E-AFFF-46D6-BE7F-9E884795FBC1.png
    254 KB · Views: 0

KustyTheKlown

it is fair. you had november to march to use the tickets before an act of god shut down the world. its courteous of them to accept them at any point in 20-21

Slidebrook87

With this colder weather today and tomorrow it would make sense if Sugarbush made snow on Spring Fling. Obviously there’s no need to rush this season, but I figured they’d try to blow a bit on it while they can.

Sully

it is fair. you had november to march to use the tickets before an act of god shut down the world. its courteous of them to accept them at any point in 20-21
I didn’t plan to use them until annual St Patrick’s Day ski trip on March 14 and 15. Winn sent us the attached email on March 13th confirming closing date of May 2nd 5177FF74-4965-49EF-8B3E-089727B8C555.png

Last edited:

cdskier

With this colder weather today and tomorrow it would make sense if Sugarbush made snow on Spring Fling. Obviously there’s no need to rush this season, but I figured they’d try to blow a bit on it while they can.

I'm a bit surprised they don't have guns going yet down low from what I can see on the base area webcams. I would have thought as well that they would be taking advantage of these lower mountain cold temps while they have them. I know they've been making snow on the upper mountain recently, but that doesn't help the opening day goal.

gorgonzola

I have no interest in debating fairness, if there is such a thing in a pandemic. I made my points from a business and PR perspective.
We all have the ability to do the right thing and Sugarbush dropped the ball on this one

Anyways if anyone can use these pm me an offer, she just wants to move on and cut her losses at this point

Sully

Edited. I didn’t plan to use them until that weekend. Anyway, don’t want to argue with locals. Just think it’s a bit disingenuous and poor business. Take care!!

I’ve attached Win’s email from March 13th, two days before the closed for the season.

Attachments

• D953EAA7-79C2-45F0-BFBD-543D1E0609F4.png
    D953EAA7-79C2-45F0-BFBD-543D1E0609F4.png
    418.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 2AE9D354-FB41-43EF-A39A-6E4C34054F86.png
    2AE9D354-FB41-43EF-A39A-6E4C34054F86.png
    254 KB · Views: 3

HowieT2

I didn’t plan to use them until annual St Patrick’s Day ski trip on March 14 and 15. Winn sent us the attached email on March 13th confirming closing date of May 2nd View attachment 42581
C'mon, you can't really blame anyone for the way shit went down in March. Maybe I'm interpreting what youre saying incorrectly, but it sounds like you feel like Win "promised" you the mountain would be open as usual, and that he tricked you into not using your tickets. I don't know where you were, but where I was in NY, no one knew what was going to happen from one day to the next.