• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

It looks like another snowmaking window hasn’t been taken advantage of. It doesn’t look like the guns have been on at all. It just seems a bit odd that places like magic are making snow while sugarbush isn’t...
I think they are on Ripcord. Look at the golf course cam. Temps no good down low.
Yup...what tumbler said. I saw guns going on Ripcord yesterday from the golf course cam as well (and posted here mentioning it...but I think that was overlooked with all the Sarah posts!)

Right now it is 34 at the base. When I went to sleep last night it was only down to the upper 20s at the base. That's not a big window of barely marginal temps at the base (and wet bulb may have even been above freezing). Makes much more sense to just leave the guns running on Ripcord overnight instead of shutting that down and firing up down low for a few hours of minimal production. Better off waiting until you have a colder/longer window down low so you can maximize your output and efficiency.

1dog

WTF??!! 🤦‍♂️😳🤷‍♂️

She must not understand that for about the last 75 years or so skiing and tourism have been essential for the survival of the Mad River Valley. What planet is she on? I also think she might not be a fan of IKON. Willing to bet she has not lived in the MRV for that long.

Someone should have told her to go to the TGR forums to share her ideas. She would have been eaten alive 😆😆😆😆
Truer words never spoken TB. She can't on this forum. TGR is a cesspool - must admit, it can be entertaining at times though. If you ever want ski comedy, read Gaper string. Pee your pants kinda laughs . . .

cdskier

Couldn’t see any clouds from the golf course cam. If only their webcams were working. Strange.
It was much more visible/easier to see yesterday with the way it was blowing. You don't always see big snowmaking clouds though depending on weather/wind (especially when looking from a cam so far away). I do wish they had a better cam angle that zoomed in on the summit more.

KustyTheKlown

nice to see white on the golf course and hill and ~1.5 on the 24 hour stake. at least its cold enough now that it wont just disappear.

ericfromMA/NH/VT

Hi all, I have a quad pack for sugarbush for sale. 4 live all mountain tickets, you still have to make reservations.

They are leftovers from last year, extended till 12/24/2020 or after 3/14/2021. 100% live tickets, make reservations, show up, go to lift, ski.

I just looked at their lift ticket prices to see what these are worth, and holy crap! lift tickets are $100 a day in mid december if you buy on line, up to $169 for later in the month.

So yeah, these are a good deal.

My family cannot go as we cannot meet the quarantine restrictions.

I am in NH and have paypal, if you are reasonably close I can deliver. if interested, IM me and I will respond.

If its improper to post this here my apologies, I just thought this would be the best place for interested parties to see this.

Thanks!

cdskier

A significant number of establishments have been converted to / continue to be take out only (Taco, Flatbread, Stoke Ramen, Lawson’s to name a few.)

Hyde Away, Peasant, Worthy, Toast and Eggs, and the Hostel are all open for indoor dining but capacity has been heavily reduced. Most places had heaters / tents too but I don’t know who or if anyone is planning on keeping that going thru winter. The hostel and Hyde Away both took their tents down a few weeks ago.

It’s been a couple of weeks since we last went out to eat but have been to almost all of the names mentioned above at some point in the last couple months. Everyone’s done a bang up job dealing with the shitty hand they’ve been dealt, safety-wise. Just hope there’s enough folks able to patronize to help them do well enough money-wise. Especially knowing a second round of small biz assistance funding won’t be coming until Jan/Feb most likely.

Take Peasant off that list...they just decided to stop indoor dining for the foreseeable future. They're still doing take-out though Thursday-Sundays with online ordering.

cdskier

I made the mistake of updating the Sugarbush app on my phone to the latest version...now from the app you can only see the same 3 webcams that are on the website.

drjeff

Sugarbush is actually spinning a lift now. You just have to be affiliated with GMVS to get on Inverness now per one of my Mount Snow friends whose daughter is in her senior year at GMVS!

Trail width is a bit narrow, and the new GMVS t-bar isn't quite ready to haul athletes up Inverness, but the snow is good from what my friend, via his daughter, told me!

thetrailboss

Staff member
9% tax hike..hmm. Guess I could sell the condo in Stowe and get one in NH. Seems to be a lot less BS there than in VT. Probably less crowded as well.
FWIW maybe not. NH only has a property tax and it is pretty significant. But that is the only tax.

1dog

FWIW maybe not. NH only has a property tax and it is pretty significant. But that is the only tax.
It is higher per thousand than other places, but as TB says, its the only tax, and what's more important, unless you are on one of the major lakes the RE town estimates are very conservative as compared the say MA. My house would be. valued at least $200K less in NH than here in MA. Maybe more. Meanwhile taxes in VT ( before this proposed increase) have doubled in 17 years in Fayston - a lower tax town than Waitsfield or Warren. Offset ( if you live there) by no income tax or sales tax. You will have higher auto insurance fees because NH does not require drivers ( last time I check with my daughter who lives there) so uninsured motorist insurance is significantly higher.

Heres the dilemma - Like Utah, Greens get more snow than the Whites even though 1500 feet lower - that lake effect and grabbing those Alberta clippers before NH, and of course, outside of Wildcat, most NH areas are lower elevations than K-Mart.Stowe.Bush.MRG.Jay.etc.

You pay for the additional 100 " a year - its worth it. Have customers every week with places in the Whites - we do better- just don't tell any more people,ok?

Smellytele

Heres the dilemma - Like Utah, Greens get more snow than the Whites even though 1500 feet lower - that lake effect and grabbing those Alberta clippers before NH, and of course, outside of Wildcat, most NH areas are lower elevations than K-Mart.Stowe.Bush.MRG.Jay.etc.
Cannon and Waterville both state they are over 4k elevations. (Cannon definitely, Waterville umm...)